Author Topic: Brace for Impact... The NRO Editors  (Read 272 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Brace for Impact... The NRO Editors
« on: July 02, 2020, 02:48:27 pm »

National Review ›

Brace for Impact
The Editors July 01, 2020

T here are many, many ways to try to measure the 2020 presidential race. How well is Donald Trump doing in the states he needs to win compared to Joe Biden, such as Arizona and Michigan? (Not well.) How well is Donald Trump doing with the demographic groups he needs to retain, such as suburban moms and the elderly? (Not well.) Does the campaign have a record of accomplishment that energizes his base and a vision for the future that excites independents? (Not really.) Is the country going through a crisis? (Yes.) But is it giving the incumbent high marks for handling it, indicating an unwillingness to change horses before the race? (No, not at all.)

Those indicators are all ominous for Donald Trump. It’s ominous for Republicans attached to him, and for the conservative causes that rise and fall with the GOP’s fortunes.

Since the beginning of this campaign, I’ve preferred a simpler understanding. Donald Trump was the most broadly unpopular presidential nominee in his party’s history. And, unlike Hillary Clinton, the same cannot be said of Joe Biden. Four years ago, the polls were basically correct. On a popular-vote level, they were well within the most likely scenarios pollsters envisioned. But Trump played a blinder in what Michael Moore called the Brexit States: Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio. Currently polls have Biden up in Michigan by double digits.

According to reporting at Politico, Trump knows he is currently running behind Joe Biden, and he is searching for an advantage. Maybe even a new nickname to replace “sleepy Joe.”

more
https://outline.com/WuyD4W
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Slide Rule

Re: Brace for Impact... The NRO Editors
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 12:15:04 pm »
NR used to be of value back in the day. I subscribed to NR for 25 years but
all good things must end.

I cancelled it a decade ago and rarely am I interested in what those Never
Trumpers' say in those smooth crafted sentences. Anything they post should
be confirmed with at least two independent sources. They burned their
bridges.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 03:01:33 pm »
National Review ›

Brace for Impact
The Editors July 01, 2020

T here are many, many ways to try to measure the 2020 presidential race. How well is Donald Trump doing in the states he needs to win compared to Joe Biden, such as Arizona and Michigan? (Not well.) How well is Donald Trump doing with the demographic groups he needs to retain, such as suburban moms and the elderly? (Not well.) Does the campaign have a record of accomplishment that energizes his base and a vision for the future that excites independents? (Not really.) Is the country going through a crisis? (Yes.) But is it giving the incumbent high marks for handling it, indicating an unwillingness to change horses before the race? (No, not at all.)

Those indicators are all ominous for Donald Trump. It’s ominous for Republicans attached to him, and for the conservative causes that rise and fall with the GOP’s fortunes.

Since the beginning of this campaign, I’ve preferred a simpler understanding. Donald Trump was the most broadly unpopular presidential nominee in his party’s history. And, unlike Hillary Clinton, the same cannot be said of Joe Biden. Four years ago, the polls were basically correct. On a popular-vote level, they were well within the most likely scenarios pollsters envisioned. But Trump played a blinder in what Michael Moore called the Brexit States: Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio. Currently polls have Biden up in Michigan by double digits.

According to reporting at Politico, Trump knows he is currently running behind Joe Biden, and he is searching for an advantage. Maybe even a new nickname to replace “sleepy Joe.”

more
https://outline.com/WuyD4W
Just an FYI: The article was actually written by Michael Brendan Dougherty, not as a magazine/site "The Editors" editorial. The original can be accessed at National Review's website only by paid subscribers.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 03:06:46 pm »
NR used to be of value back in the day. I subscribed to NR for 25 years but
all good things must end.

I cancelled it a decade ago and rarely am I interested in what those Never
Trumpers' say in those smooth crafted sentences. Anything they post should
be confirmed with at least two independent sources. They burned their
bridges.
If you're still steamed over National Review's rejection of Trump during the early primaries in February 2016, you may take heart that, since President Tweety's election, they've gone about 50/50 between pro- and anti-Trump writers.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.