Author Topic: Claudell Washington, RIP: Signposts  (Read 833 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Claudell Washington, RIP: Signposts
« on: June 11, 2020, 06:53:07 pm »
Farewell to a useful, likeable journeyman whose 1980 signing jolted baseball's free agency market.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2020/06/10/claudell-washington-rip-signposts/

Washington's 1980 signing
with the Braves jolted the
free agency market and
prompted at least one
owner to sell his team.

Claudell Washington, who died Wednesday morning at 65, was a useful player, not exactly one of the greats of his day, who had a little power and a little more speed. But in his first seven major league seasons (1974-1980), he also  impressed a few too many as being a little on the lax side in the outfield.

“[T]he same guy,” John Helyar recorded in The Lords of the Realm, “whose indifferent outfield play cause fans near his Comiskey Park station to hang a banner: WASHINGTON SLEPT HERE.” The same guy who averaged 1.9 wins above replacement-level overall and -4.3 WAR defensively in the same span.

The same guy who jolted baseball bolt upright in November 1980, when then-Atlanta Braves owner Ted Turner signed the guy White Sox fans compared to a sleeping president to a five-year deal totaling $3.5 million and worth about $700,000 a season.

That deal almost choked Philadelphia Phillies owner Ruly Carpenter, Helyar observed, and with good enough reason. Carpenter may have quaked over free agency, enough to hand Hall of Famer Mike Schmidt a six-year, $3.6 million contract in 1977 (before his first prospective taste of free agency), but when the Phillies started getting “close enough to a pennant Carpenter could taste it” he chased down and signed Pete Rose.

The Phillies needed a little help at the time from their television outlet, WPHL, and got it. That helped them land Rose for four years and $3.23 million plus an extra $225,000 based on total games played. It made Charlie Hustler the highest-paid team sports player on the planet at the time.

One month after that deal plus everything else working right for the Phillies culminated in a wild celebratory parade drawing half a million fans to downtown Philadelphia, Washington’s deal with the Braves convinced Carpenter that a few too many brains among his fellow owners went to bed with no hint of waking up.

He could live easily with the Mike Schmidt extension and the Pete Rose signing. These were top of the line players: baseball’s arguable greatest third baseman ever, with power to burn, a phenomenal on-base knack for such a power hitter, and well above average defense; and, one of its more tenacious slap-and-slash hitters who played the game like a guerilla warrior, even if that was as much for showing as for blowing. And the Carpenter family wasn’t exactly living on Poverty Plaza.

Even with his longtime bent toward scouting and player development, Carpenter wasn’t so blind as to ignore the results when George Steinbrenner hit the early free agency market running, blended it with scouting, and bagged back-to-back World Series titles in 1977-78. What unnerved Carpenter was the kind of owner comparative newcomer Ted Turner was and others new and old were showing themselves to be.

These and other owners, essentially, would scream all kinds of blue murder over this or that high-priced free agent signing—until they got to sign a few of their own, of course. The Washington deal, for Carpenter, secured it. The signpost said, “Disregard posturing. Business as usual,” as Helyar translated it.

Carpenter and his family would talk it over for months to come before putting the Phillies on the sales floor. A decade later, while the owners were occupied otherwise demanding the players stop them before they overspent, mis-spent, or mal-spent again, there came an even more portentious moment than the Washington signing—and an equally revelatory one.

Barely had the owners gotten past their execrable late-80s collusive bid to suppress player salaries (which cost them mucho millions in the end) when the San Francisco Giants showed top-of-the-line-looking money to . . . Bud Black, something of the pitching equivalent to Washington: good, serviceable, not even within telescopic sight of the top of the line.

If a pitcher with a 3.70 lifetime ERA to that point who barely missed bats, gave up eight hits per nine innings’ work, and walked two-thirds of what he struck out, was worth $2.5 million for four years beginning in 1991, you could smell the same blood smelled by other pitchers who may not have been Orel Hershiser’s or Jack Morris’s equals but knew they were a little more valuable than Black. The same blood and the same continuing salary inflation.

What did it say, too, when the Giants’ GM who made the Black deal and a few other headscratchers over the previous couple of years, Al Rosen, went to the 1990 winter meetings lamenting the player salaries going wild and crazy?

Is it really any wonder that today’s players, like their 1980s and 1990s forebears, trust the owners about as far as they can hit or throw them? Is it really any wonder than those with eyes to see and ears to hear know that when the owners cry “going broke” the proper response is “prove it?”

Chicago Cubs owner Ted Ricketts says it’s not like you can just shift dollars at will—yet his franchise is worth $3.7 billion after his family bought the team for $900 million in 2009. St. Louis Cardinals owner Bill DeWitt, Jr. says major league baseball isn’t all that profitable—the same man who bought the Cardinals for $150 million in 1996 and saw his team’s value become $2.1 billion this year. (He’s not so impoverished that he couldn’t purchase a third home for about $8 million in the Hollywood hills, either.)

Remember those the next time you hear the owners demanding the players surrender monies to play ball this year. Or, the next time you pick up a newspaper, flip on the television set, or hit the Internet running and discover a team signing today’s version of Washington or Black for today’s version of, say, money close enough to Jacob deGrom or Justin Verlander money.

None of which was Washington’s fault. The only thing that better resembles a case for a straitjacket than Turner showing him that money would have been if Washington had turned Turner down, human nature being what it is.

He looked promising at the beginning of his career; Bill James (in The New Historical Baseball Abstract) called him “among the best players ever to slip through the draft.” He was an undrafted free agent who had his career year at age 20 but didn’t develop from that point forward, unfortunately.

As a 1974 Oakland Athletics sophonore, Washington continued making an impression when he kept Hall of Famer Gaylord Perry from a sixteen-game winning streak that would have tied the American League record. He slashed a triple in the eighth and, in the bottom of the tenth, with Perry still in the game, he smacked an RBI single to win it. Then he went 4-for-7 helping the A’s win a third straight World Series.

Washington’s career stops other than Chicago and Atlanta included with the the Texas Rangers, the New York Yankees, and the California Angels. “[G]uarantee he was a teammate/clubhouse favorite on each team he played for,” tweeted Braves legend Dale Murphy, who played five years with Washington. “Thankful for the chance to be teammates in #ATL.”

He was a useful fourth-outfielder for those Braves even as the team transitioned from early 1980s success toward their late-1980s deflation. He was one of those players who could do a little bit of a lot but never really lived up to what he showed in 1973-74. It didn’t exactly make him unique among journeymen.

But Washington was good enough to play seventeen journeyman major league seasons. You can surely fill two stadiums with all the players who weren’t that fortunate. How many would be remembered as favourite teammates? And how many achieve celluloid immortality? (Washington did that, too: a clip of him merely ticking a foul ball into the left field seats down the foul line turned up in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.)

Washington takes all that with him to the eternal peace of the Elysian Fields and to be serene and happy there as he deserves, though here on earth assorted teammates and especially his family will miss him terribly.
-------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@goatprairie
@The Ghost
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Hoodat

Re: Claudell Washington, RIP: Signposts
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 07:11:45 pm »
Claudell made one of the greatest at-the-wall catches I ever saw.  It was if the outfield wall grew stairs as he climbed them to steal a home run away.

The same guy who jolted baseball bolt upright in November 1980, when then-Atlanta Braves owner Ted Turner signed the guy White Sox fans compared to a sleeping president to a five-year deal totaling $3.5 million and worth about $700,000 a season.

The rumor at the time was that Ted Turner was drunk and thought that he was talking to Dave Winfield's agent - not Claudell Washington's.  A couple of years earlier, Turner had traded Dick Ruthven to the Phillies for Gene Garber.  The rumor there was that Turner was messing with Ruthven's wife who asked to be traded.

I loved those old Braves.  They sucked (except for '82), but I thoroughly enjoyed spending $5 for a front row seat.

Glenn Hubbard
Rafael Ramirez
Dale Murphy
Bob Horner
Brook Jacoby
Biff Pocoroba
Chris Chambliss
Steve Bedrosian
Rick Camp
Rick Mahler
Larry McWilliams
Gaylord Perry
and the immortal Phil Niekro
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 07:14:26 pm »
Here's something you don't see every day.  Claudell Washington steals home.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 07:57:18 pm »
Here's something you don't see every day.  Claudell Washington steals home.

I think it was something he never saw everyday, either.

He was a good baserunner. Not a guy to bust the record books, but Washington did have a .700 stolen base percentage and for his career he took extra bases on followup hits 57 percent of the time. He had good speed and brains and did the best he could with both on the bases.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 09:31:56 pm »
Claudell made one of the greatest at-the-wall catches I ever saw.  It was if the outfield wall grew stairs as he climbed them to steal a home run away.

The rumor at the time was that Ted Turner was drunk and thought that he was talking to Dave Winfield's agent - not Claudell Washington's.  A couple of years earlier, Turner had traded Dick Ruthven to the Phillies for Gene Garber.  The rumor there was that Turner was messing with Ruthven's wife who asked to be traded.

I loved those old Braves.  They sucked (except for '82), but I thoroughly enjoyed spending $5 for a front row seat.

Glenn Hubbard
Rafael Ramirez
Dale Murphy
Bob Horner
Brook Jacoby
Biff Pocoroba
Chris Chambliss
Steve Bedrosian
Rick Camp
Rick Mahler
Larry McWilliams
Gaylord Perry
and the immortal Phil Niekro

Disclaimer... not a baseball fan, did watch a few Atlanta games mainly cause TBS played them so often and one of few channels (open antenna) we got.

That said, I did meet Phil Niekro in person for a while during one of the "June Jams" held locally that featured the band "Alabama". He was given a person of honor at one of the concerts that I had snuck in earlier by taking a pass sticker off a local electric company truck (doing the wiring) and sticking it to my car to drive in the night before (spent the night in my car hidden). People had waited in line for almost a week to be first and I cheated my way in. Anyhoo, I parked in the special section for VIP only and after the gates were open I crawled out of my car and just mingled (once you are in you are in).

Phil was having a blast and got introduced on stage a few times, but later in the day he was just roasted drunk, staggering drunk. You could tell he was enjoying himself and signing autographs and just soaking in the attention. I only watched him from afar. I had great seats and didn't want to make waves and be thrown out.

Probable my only up and close interaction with a baseball player... 

The End. @Hoodat
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 11:03:07 pm »
@Sighlass

Classic story about Phil Niekro---He was a Yankee near the end of his career, and Lou Piniella was his manager. When Piniella and a couple of his coaches spotted Niekro walking across the hotel lobby, knowing it was almost past the team curfew, one of the coaches pointed it out and Piniella replied, "Aw, c'mon, I can't tell Knucksie [Niekro's nickname] to go to bed---he's older than I am!"

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 11:09:36 pm »
@EasyAce

Was Washington the guy who always had a toothpick in his mouth?

Or...was that an infielder?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:10:34 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 11:29:23 pm »
@EasyAce

Was Washington the guy who always had a toothpick in his mouth?

Or...was that an infielder?

That was U.L. Washington.

"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 01:58:27 am »
@Sighlass

Classic story about Phil Niekro---He was a Yankee near the end of his career, and Lou Piniella was his manager. When Piniella and a couple of his coaches spotted Niekro walking across the hotel lobby, knowing it was almost past the team curfew, one of the coaches pointed it out and Piniella replied, "Aw, c'mon, I can't tell Knucksie [Niekro's nickname] to go to bed---he's older than I am!"

Phil Niekro was my childhood idol. (Yeah, I was a weird kid.)  I will never forgive Joe Torre for releasing him.  Niekro should have remained a Brave for the rest of his career.  The younger Torre resented the fact that Niekro was still getting it done while Torre's playing days were behind him.  Not to mention that Torre couldn't catch his knuckle ball.

In today's era, a complete game is a rarity.  Niekro pitched 245 complete games.  He probably set the record for 1-0 complete game losses.  He was the only fan draw during those years when the Braves would finish 40 games out of first.  But every four days, he would take the mound, giving every relief pitcher the night off.

Lifetime:  ERA 3.35,  WHIP 1.27

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 02:45:43 am »
Phil Niekro was my childhood idol. (Yeah, I was a weird kid.)  I will never forgive Joe Torre for releasing him.  Niekro should have remained a Brave for the rest of his career.  The younger Torre resented the fact that Niekro was still getting it done while Torre's playing days were behind him.  Not to mention that Torre couldn't catch his knuckle ball.

Bob Uecker broke up Niekro and every other Hall of Famer at his own induction (into the broadcast wing) by including the story that he was behind the plate for Phil Niekro when he faced his younger brother, Joe, as starters for the first time. "Their parents had seats behind home plate for that game," Uecker said. "I saw more of their parents that day than they did all weekend."

In today's era, a complete game is a rarity.  Niekro pitched 245 complete games.  He probably set the record for 1-0 complete game losses.  He was the only fan draw during those years when the Braves would finish 40 games out of first.  But every four days, he would take the mound, giving every relief pitcher the night off.

Lifetime:  ERA 3.35,  WHIP 1.27
A starter throwing the knuckleball almost exclusively (assuming it isn't flattening out and getting clobbered regularly) and throwing that many complete games isn't exactly a shock. Or an arm/shoulder/elbow injury candidate. News flash: complete games started dropping rapidly when the live ball came in and, especially, when the harder throwing pitchers began arriving after 1950:

1920---Complete games by pitchers were 57 percent of games.
1930---Complete games dropped to 44 percent.
1940---Complete games stayed at 44 percent.
1950---Complete games dropped to 42 percent.
1960---Complete games dropped to 27 percent.
1970---Complete games dropped to 22 percent.
1980---Complete games dropped to 20 percent.
1990---Complete games dropped to 10 percent.

Complete games started becoming more of a rarity long enough before today's game.

Come to think of it, you may remember me writing last fall---using the Washington-in-the-World-Series angle---that Washington's only previous MLB World Series win came through the courtesy of . . . a bullpen game. The Senators used a relief pitcher to start Game Seven, Curly Ogden, who faced two batters before manager Bucky Harris brought in George Mogridge: Harris started Ogden to deke John McGraw's Giants into loading their lineup with lefthanded hitters and threw Mogridge into the game with one out and one on in the first. Harris brought in his actual relief ace Firpo Marberry in in the sixth when Mogridge ran into trouble, then Marberry pitched the seventh and eighth before yielding to Walter Johnson, who pitched three spotless relief innings as the Senators won.

But since baseball was always slow on the uptake (because this is the way we've always done it, never mind conditions and new actualities rearing their heads), it took a few long years before anyone else got the idea that one solid way to win was with a solid bullpen. Especially since (aside from the Walter Johnsons being actual outliers) the only era in baseball in which you could count on a starter to throw a ton of complete games without his arm falling off was the dead ball era when you didn't (and some said weren't even allowed, since dead ball pitching basically amounted to throwing something a hitter could hit, which didn't exactly take a hefty physical effort, and letting your fielders go to work, with very rare exceptions) throw like you were trying to beat the bullet train on the D.C. to New York run.

If anything, you should probably wonder why there aren't more knuckleball pitchers. (One big answer: Because it was always thought to be a gimmick pitch, teams were usually wary of the breed. The arguable should-have-been 1962 Cy Young Award winner, Cincinnati's Bob Purkey, threw a knuckleball among four pitches but threw it often enough that a lot of Cy Young voters probably thought he wasn't the real deal, even though he did have a better season than winner Don Drysdale. The Dodgers going to the pennant playoff probably hurt Purkey, too, but there was an anti-knuckleball bias among voters for a long time. Phil Niekro probably should have won the 1978 National League Cy Young Award winner but didn't. It took until R.A. Dickey's career year with the Mets for a knuckleballer to win the award.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 02:53:24 am by EasyAce »