Author Topic: NFL decision to permit kneeling protest by players enrages Donald Trump  (Read 1337 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

NFL decision to permit kneeling protest by players enrages Donald Trump

American sports figures rally round Black Lives Matter movement as Michael Jordan pledges $100m to promote racial equality

Harriet Sherwood
@harrietsherwood

Sat 6 Jun 2020 11.30 EDT
Last modified on Sun 7 Jun 2020 07.14 EDT

The US National Football League is embroiled in a standoff with President Donald Trump after it said players would be allowed to “take the knee” during the American national anthem in protest against racism.

After the NFL announced its U-turn, Trump tweeted late on Friday night: “We should be standing up straight and tall, ideally with a salute, or a hand on heart. There are other things you can protest, but not our Great American Flag – NO KNEELING!”

Support among sports personalities and organisations for the Black Lives Matter movement was also bolstered by an announcement from basketball star Michael Jordan that he was donating $100m (£79m) to organisations promoting racial equality. The move was a significant departure from the former Chicago Bulls player’s previous reluctance to be drawn into politics.

The NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said late on Friday that the league’s earlier ban on players taking the knee had been mistaken. “We were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier, and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest,” Goodell said.

more
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/06/nfl-decision-to-permit-kneeling-protest-by-players-enrages-donald-trump
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Lando Lincoln

I agree with President Trump completely.  That moment in time, when the National Anthem plays and the colors are unfurled, it IS about the flag and what it represents.  That will never change.  Those who wish to make it about them and claim "it is not about the flag" are selfish in the extreme. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
NFL decision to permit kneeling protest by players enrages Donald Trump

@mystery-ak

Gee,THERE is a surprise!

If I didn't know better,I might suspect that is WHY they are doing it.

The NFL know who their biggest fans and supporters are,and this is all about cash flow,not morality.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"Enrages?"  I doubt it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Lando Lincoln

The NFL will try all kinds of shiny-object gimmicky to prop up their patriotic credibility.  Flyovers, uniformed service members, etc.  So too with the beer advertising and such.  The anthem?  The National Anthem?  The showing of the colors?  Well, it's not about that.  Do as you will because of all the injustice you've felt. 

I'd love to hear Jerry Jones or someone say, if anyone kneels or otherwise disrespects the flag during the anthem, we will forfeit the game.  Forfeit the game.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The NFL will try all kinds of shiny-object gimmicky to prop up their patriotic credibility.  Flyovers, uniformed service members, etc.  So too with the beer advertising and such.  The anthem?  The National Anthem?  The showing of the colors?  Well, it's not about that.  Do as you will because of all the injustice you've felt. 

I'd love to hear Jerry Jones or someone say, if anyone kneels or otherwise disrespects the flag during the anthem, we will forfeit the game.  Forfeit the game.

If he did that, the other owners will gang up on him and throw him out of ownership of the team.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Lando Lincoln

He wouldn't say it but once because his own teams fans would storm the clubhouse and hang him.

This is football,dammit! It's more important than 'murika!

Hell,it IS murika!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 04:57:04 pm by sneakypete »

Offline skeeter

I've stopped watching NFL altogether but I did catch a few minutes' worth last year. Reminded me of the movie Rocky when Apollo Creed was carried into the ring dressed as Uncle Sam. NFL was obviously trying to ride the fence.

The BLM folks will stop these crude displays of ersatz patriotism, as well.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Done with [ Nope ], personally.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 06:20:54 pm by Cyber Liberty »

Offline dfwgator

Done with the NFL.

The quality of play has deteriorated anyway.   It's all about athleticism now,  not skills.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
:rolling:

That's how I feel.  :shrug:

I was hoping you would understand.  :beer:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Done with the NFL.

The quality of play has deteriorated anyway.   It's all about athleticism now,  not skills.

It's basically flag football at this point. Last season a player was penalized for a "leaping tackle".

And whatever happen to all the hype about the concussion stuff too? Isn't it racist to encourage blacks to play football due to that?

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
That moment in time, when the National Anthem plays and the colors are unfurled, it IS about the flag and what it represents.  That will never change.
You could argue that the national anthem is about something more than the flag alone. (A call for the Pledge of Allegiance would be entirely about the flag.) But that's neither here nor there for right now. I'm on record saying this before but it's worth bringing forth again (and who would have thought that something beginning entirely spontaneously during the seventh-inning stretch of Game One of the 1918 World Series---when "The Star Spangled Banner" wasn't yet our official national anthem---would end up with today's hoopla?):

Why not cut the playings of "The Star Spangled Banner" in sports back to a far more reasonable level?

Before you start snarling, hear me out: Playing it before every damn last game or race is more than a little on the overkill side. It negates the patriotic impulse or at least reduces it to roteness, and undermines the precept that real patriotism does and should spring from the heart. Compulsion is incompatible with real patriotism.

I'm reminded of writings I cited when arguing in the recent past as I'm about to argue now:

Trump and his army wrapped themselves in the flag when doing battle with the NFL ... 'America First,' they cry. Rah rah. But when it comes to upholding American values in the world — our flag is drooping. People who wet themselves at the sight of football players kneeling are completely blasé when it comes to these congratulations offered to dictators who steal elections.--Jay Nordlinger, National Review.

Saying that simply kneeling for the national anthem is so offensive that it must be confined to the locker room or banned outright reflects the same hypersensitivity that plagues the social justice left.---Robby Soave, Reason.

By choosing to make standing for the anthem a matter of coercion rather than a voluntary act of patriotism, it (quite wrongly) suggests that [sports] executives and the kneeling movement's many malcontents in the country are unable to provide a coherent reason why America is worth honoring in spite of its flaws.---John Hirschauer, The Daily Wire.

So I'll reiterate what I first argued on the record two years ago:

I'm all in favour of keeping "The Star Spangled Banner" . . . for particular days' sporting events:

* Opening Day games for baseball, football, basketball, hockey (my argument could apply to "O Canada" as well, concerning Canadian teams), soccer, the Master's tournament.

* Auto racing's arguable two most significant events, the Indianapolis 500 and the Daytona 500.

* The three races that involve thoroughbred racing's Triple Crown: the Kentucky Derby, the Preakness Stakes, and the Belmont Stakes.

* Games (races) played (run) on significant national holidays such as (in order of their pending arrivals as I write) Flag Day, the Fourth of July, Labour Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, New Year's Day, Presidents' Day, Martin Luther King's Birthday, Memorial Day.

* All-Star Games for each team sports league.

* Game One of the World Series, the Super Bowl, Game One of the NBA finals, Game One of the Stanley Cup Finals, and the MLS (Major League Soccer) Cup Game.

As I concluded in the second of the two 2018 essays I published on the matter: "Restoring real meaning at the same time you honor the sound precept that real patriotism is not induced at gunpoint, metaphoric or otherwise, in the centennial of Fred Thomas's spontaneous salute and its spontaneous inspiration*, would be wisdom for a country founded by uncommonly wise men, one of whom ended the nation's first presidency in part with a warning against 'the postures of pretended patriotism.' Wisely."

* - During Game One of the 1918 World Series, a Navy band was present as often happened with military bands in those years. Boston Red Sox third baseman Fred Thomas---himself a Navy man granted a furlough to play in the Series---heard the Navy band begin to play "The Star Spangled Banner" during the seventh-inning stretch and, with no prompting at all, turned to face the American flag and saluted. That prompted other players on both teams and the already-standing fans in the Comiskey Park stands (the National League champion Cubs had agreed to play their legs of the Series in the White Sox park because it was larger than their home playpen) to salute as well.

Thomas's spontaneous salute moved Red Sox owner Harry Frazee a) to offer free World Series tickets to military personnel wounded during still-ongoing World War I and b) to be sure "The Star-Spangled Banner" was played before those Series games played in Fenway Park. The Red Sox won the Series, and Frazee decided to make "The Star-Spangled Banner" a feature before every Red Sox home game the following season.

Other teams in baseball and other sports gradually began doing likewise, entirely on their own, but it never became mandatory in any American professional sports league until the NFL made it so after World War II. To this day baseball has no official rule mandating it but it's remained a tradition.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:23:57 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
As I alluded before... note how this happens when there's a likelihood most teams won't be allowed to put fans in the stands. So the main economic force that prompted them to back down, declining ticket sales, has been neutralized. They'll just blame coronavirus when fans don't come back.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline dfwgator

At this point, why bother?

Just ignore them and stop watching.  They'll get the message.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I will never watch another NFL game
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline EdinVA

I will never watch another NFL game

Me either....

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Me either....

Will the last fan watching this garbage, please turn out the lights?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Will the last fan watching this garbage, please turn out the lights?

@catfish1957

Why would they? They live in public housing and don't have to pay their own bills. WE pay them.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
@catfish1957

Why would they? They live in public housing and don't have to pay their own bills. WE pay them.

Pete.... average ticket price for a single seat is over $100.  Rich, white folks soon to be woke, are the demographic of choice.

TV wise?  Ad dollars are based on benchmark viewing.  Viewing down, money down....   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:23:45 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Pete.... average ticket price for a single seat is over $100.  Rich, white folks soon to be woke, are the demographic of choice.

TV wise?  Ad dollars are based on benchmark viewing.  Viewing down, money down....

@catfish1957

I would love to claim I am boycotting football,but the truth is I didn't even go to see a game when I was living in Denver,and offered free tickets. I even lived close enough to Mile High Stadium to walk to the game if I had wanted to go.

I would rather have my own fun with my money,than pay to see someone else having fun.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Didn't the TeeVee nets have to send refunds to advertisers for football games last year when the ratings didn't pan out?
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Didn't the TeeVee nets have to send refunds to advertisers for football games last year when the ratings didn't pan out?

I believe you are right.  The Capernick backlash has escalated, and many many were boycotting the NFL even before this BLM hogwash.