Author Topic: Portrait of the US military base in Cuba  (Read 243 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Portrait of the US military base in Cuba
« on: April 15, 2020, 04:58:05 pm »
Portrait of the US military base in Cuba
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

By Yisell Rodríguez Milán

I am in Caimanera. Behind me, on one side of the long, semi-deserted highway is the biggest salt mine from Cuba and a “Restricted Access” sign that announces the entry to the town closest to the U.S. military base that the world calls Gitmo. Here they simply call it “The Base.”

“Your pass, please,” an official tells me at the entrance to the community, and I hold out the paper that states my date of arrival and exit, who I am and whom I am coming to see.

My friend’s husband is waiting for me. If he weren’t there I wouldn’t be able to enter. That’s what they tell me, although I already knew. Who doesn’t? In Guantanamo they teach you from childhood that in Caimanera no one gets in without a pass, that someone always has to meet you (unless you work there), and that it is a special area, so special that its inhabitants earn 30% extra on top of their salary, and receive extra benefits from butchers and warehouses. All this is explained by the danger, the proximity, the foreign militarization of a small fragment of the land.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Read more at:  https://oncubanews.com/en/special/scanning-guantanamo-en/