Author Topic: Navy Hosts Virtual Industry Day to Keep Hammerhead Mine on Accelerated Acquisition Path  (Read 181 times)

rangerrebew

Navy Hosts Virtual Industry Day to Keep Hammerhead Mine on Accelerated Acquisition Path
By: Megan Eckstein
April 13, 2020 3:45 PM

The Navy is continuing its push to develop the Hammerhead maritime mine deployment system, with 16 companies attending a recent virtual industry day that allowed the rapid-acquisition program to keep progressing despite coronavirus-related restrictions in place.

The service is pursuing an offensive mining system that would be laid by an unmanned vehicle and then lie in wait for an enemy submarine. The heart of the Hammerhead is the MK 54 lightweight torpedo as its effector, and an entire system would be built around that torpedo: a mooring module; an energy module; a sensor module; a command, control, signal processing and decision module; and a communications module; as well as associated support facilities and equipment and shipping containers, according to a solicitation on SAM.gov.

https://news.usni.org/2020/04/13/navy-hosts-virtual-industry-day-to-keep-hammerhead-mine-on-accelerated-acquisition-path