Author Topic: Rush: Will Professional Sports Return This Year?  (Read 407 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rush: Will Professional Sports Return This Year?
« on: April 14, 2020, 07:52:26 pm »

Will Professional Sports Return This Year?

Apr 14, 2020

RUSH: How many of you think — let me just put it to you — how many of you think — let’s look at what’s been canceled. Spring training and the opening of the Major League Baseball season canceled and no target date to resume. There have been some people, “Maybe, Rush, we could open a 4th of July Major League Baseball.”

Yeah, think it’s been thrown out. Nothing official. The closest thing to official that we’ve had from baseball is the Major League Baseball Players Association, the union – I think it was the union — suggesting that games be played in Arizona in empty spring training stadiums. How many of you think there will be Major League Baseball this year? Even if it’s just a month or two, how many of you think that it will happen?

They canceled Wimbledon. They have canceled the British Open golf tournament. The Augusta National Golf Club has not totally caved. They have rescheduled the Masters for November. The PGA, the USGA rescheduled the U.S. Open, I think, for September or October. I’m not sure which. The PGA Championship, some professional golf tournament, the majors have been rescheduled. How many of you think – this is a big one — how many of you think there will be National Football League games this fall in stadiums with fans? Brian, you think there will be. Do you believe that organized team activities will happen this spring? Players showing up?

Do you believe that there will be training camp for NFL teams opening in July and August as usual? You’re shaking your head “no.” Do you think the Hall of Fame game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Dallas Cowboys will be played August 6th in Canton, Ohio, with fans in the stadium? August the 6th. (interruption) You do? Therefore you believe the NFL season will open on time with fans in the stands, fans in the stadium? (interruption)

Now, Mr. Snerdley, a Cowboys fan, is nodding his head in agreement. You think that’s going to happen? (interruption) Okay, good. Good, good, good, good. (interruption) I’m not suggesting it’s a matter of scaring anybody. I’m sure they scared a lot of people. I’m just asking, do you think it could happen? The question really is, is somebody gonna reopen this economy in time for these kinds of things to happen? You think yes. (interruption) Ah. There you have it. Mr. Snerdley says, “Probably opening next month.”

Some of the governors want to open, like Governor Cuomo wants to reopen. Some of these Northeastern liberals want to reopen. Just last week, “Oh, my God, oh, it’s horrible, it’s the worst, oh, my God.” Now they want to reopen less than a week later. What happened? They’re out of money, folks. They’re out of money. All right. So, let’s see, what else? You think Wimbledon could change their mind and reopen, decide to replay, if there is a reopening of the — by the way, the U.K. — and I don’t know how valid — the U.K., they may be shut down the rest of the year.

They’ve had their people conditioned to stay home and watching Sky News all day for years anyway.

You know, throw some Boy George videos up there and you can keep the U.K. population pretty much mollified and occupied.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Rush: Will Professional Sports Return This Year?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 08:19:23 pm »
The question really is, is somebody gonna reopen this economy in time for these kinds of things to happen?

@mystery-ak

THAT is the real question.

People who are scrambling around for the money to pay house payments in arrears,get their electricity and water turned back on,and find semi-reliable used cars to buy to drive to work after having their new ones repossessed ain't going to be too concerned with buying tickets to sporting events. They are going to be too busy trying to get their home life,work life,school life and family life back together to worry about sports,concerts,or vacations.

Next we need to discuss the effect all this is going to have on the economy AFTER everyone is back to work. I am guessing few will be willing to spend money on new luxury items.

Just imagine the effect this is going to have on the home and auto industry alone.

This is going to be a big problem,and it is going to take years for it to go away.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:20:25 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 07:22:29 pm »
I think that there are certain things that we've gone without that will have a huge uptick. Sports on TV will see a huge jump in viewership, followed by attendance recovery when it's eventually clear the virus is out of the wild. That's solely because sports were taken so suddenly the second week of March with no warning and we've had nothing except NFL offseason chat since. People might be scared to go to a game for a little while so long as the virus is still out there, but the first major sporting event after everything gets lifted is going to be a cause for national celebration.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 07:29:52 pm »
What ...   and miss out on next week's NBA episode of H-O-R-S-E?

:silly:

Honestly, most professional sports atheletes are 100X overpaid.  Heck with them.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:31:18 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.