Author Topic: Behind Enemy Lines: Guns of Vietnam's SOG Warriors  (Read 368 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Behind Enemy Lines: Guns of Vietnam's SOG Warriors
« on: April 08, 2020, 08:52:26 pm »
American Rifleman by Maj. John L. Plaster, U.S. Army (Ret.) - Tuesday, April 7, 2020

It’s unlikely that any other U.S. military unit ever fielded such an array of weaponry as did the Military Assistance Command Vietnam, Studies and Observations Group.

Behind that innocuous name, MACV-SOG ran top-secret, covert operations across Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War, especially U.S. Army Special Forces-led reconnaissance missions along the enemy’s Ho Chi Minh Trail road network in Laos, into his sanctuaries in Cambodia, and sometimes into North Vietnam, itself.

These SOG recon teams, usually four to six natives led by two or three American Green Berets, roamed deep behind enemy lines, searching out—sometimes attacking—North Vietnamese truck parks, ammunition dumps, storage sites, truck convoys, command centers and the base camps where enemy units refit between battles in South Vietnam.

Deniability

Since Hanoi insisted it had no troops in “neutral” Laos or Cambodia, the United States, too, denied that SOG operations were underway. To support this deniability, recon teams were required to go “sterile”—meaning no ID or dog tags, unmarked or non-U.S. uniforms, and unattributable arms. Thus, SOG’s armory stocked many foreign firearms with which a team leader armed his men according to how he saw fit to accomplish each mission.

Initially, SOG’s primary weapon was the 9 mm Luger Karl Gustav Model 1945 submachine gun, nicknamed the “Swedish K.” Obtained through the Central Intelligence Agency, these untraceable guns sported a pale green enamel finish, a side-folding stock and a 36-round magazine. The typical combat load was 13 magazines—one in the gun and 12 more in pouches—for some 468 rounds. That may seem like a lot, but SOG teams often fought all-day, running gunfights against untold enemy pursuers.

Eventually the Swedish K’s 9 mm ball cartridge was found inadequate for knocking enemies down and keeping them down. Many teams up-gunned to the more robust 7.62x39 mm, Chinese Type 56 AKM with a fixed or folding stock.

More:https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/4/7/behind-enemy-lines-guns-of-vietnams-sog-warriors/

Anthony Dodge, Recon Team Illinois, wields an SOG-chopped M60 machine gun and 500-round
backpack drum. Note the aircraft-type flexible feed belt.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Behind Enemy Lines: Guns of Vietnam's SOG Warriors
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 09:04:01 pm »
Yeah, @sneakypete and I have some first-hand knowledge.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 10:08:53 pm »
American Rifleman by Maj. John L. Plaster, U.S. Army (Ret.) - Tuesday, April 7, 2020

@Elderberry

I knew Plaster when he was a buck sgt,and the assistant team leader on a recon team. In fact,I took his place on that team when he was sent off to sniper school. Can't remember the team name right now,but a black SFC named Thompson was the team leader,and I learned a LOT of things I needed to know by working with him while Plaster was gone. Thompson was very quiet,but very competent. I was happy to learn years after the VN war ended that he survived to retire from the army.

Plaster ran a few more recon missions,and then moved on to be a Covey Rider. Not really sure when it happened because by then I was busy working with another team,and when you are running on a team,you don't have much time for socializing with people on other teams. You might even go a month or more and not even see any of the guys living in the team room next to you. You would be on an operation when they were in,and they would be on a operation when you got back.

BTW,SFC Thompson's first name was Ben. Just remembered. I also THINK I remember he was the 1-0 of RT Illinois. I don't remember the guy with the cutdown M-60 above,so he must have been before or after my time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:46:49 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 10:13:59 pm »
Yeah, @sneakypete and I have some first-hand knowledge.

@Bigun

Tried to send you a PM,but you have me blocked.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 10:18:10 pm »
@Bigun

Sorry...and please neither of you take offense....but this just amused me
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 10:39:02 pm »
@Bigun

Sorry about that. You posted something unrelated to this the other day that pizzed me off.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 10:43:26 pm »
Sorry about that. You posted something unrelated to this the other day that pizzed me off.

@Bigun

Yeah,I tend to do that occasionally.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 10:45:41 pm »
@Bigun

Yeah,I tend to do that occasionally.

Yeah.  So do I.  Maybe it has something to do with our background.

- J. R. R. Tolkien