Author Topic: Ex-Fed Chief Janet Yellen: 'Impossible to Know at This Point How Deep the Recession Will Be'  (Read 354 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Ex-Fed Chief Janet Yellen: 'Impossible to Know at This Point How Deep the Recession Will Be'

Janet Yellen, the former head of the Federal Reserve, said the economic downturn caused by the coronavirus pandemic "has been rapid and sharp...different than any we've ever experienced in America."

And it's sure to get worse before it gets better, she told a video conference hosted by the Brookings Institution on Monday:

Frankly, it's impossible to know at this point how deep the recession will be. It depends critically on long the period of social distancing lasts. The hope is that lockdown can be lifted in May, and activity will begin to normalize in the early summer.

For the longer period of confinement, it certainly seems possible. There could be a second wave of infections after activity resumes. Every indication, so far, suggests there will be a huge plunge in output in the second quarter. The decline will be reported at an annual rate and could easily be 20 percent or higher.

I expect a very large rise in unemployment. The 3.3 million initial unemployment claims that were reported last Thursday suggests that the unemployment rate may already have spiked to 5.5 percent or so. That would be a two-percentage-point increase from February...............

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/national/susan-jones/ex-fed-chief-janet-yellen-impossible-know-point-how-deep-recession
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

She was a worthless hag while she was in the Fed and now is nothing but a fear-monger who should just enjoy her pension and shut up.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington