Author Topic: "Nothing more important than health and safety of our players, employees, fans"  (Read 1520 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Baseball suspends the rest of spring training and delays Opening Day. Appropriately.
By Yours Truly

The redoubtable Washington Post baseball writer Thomas Boswell came right out and called for it Wednesday. Chicago Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant said concurrently that some things are bigger than baseball. Now Major League Baseball has suspended the rest of spring training and postponed Opening Day two weeks.

"After a conference call among owners this afternoon," tweeted ESPN's Jeff Passan late Thursday morning, "Major League Baseball is expected to suspend spring training. The league likely will delay the beginning of the regular season as well. At this point, it's a formality that ownership-level sources expect to happen."

Early Thursday afternoon, the expected happened. "Nothing is more important to us," says the statement from commissioner Rob Manfred's office, "than the health and safety of our players, employees, and fans."

That's one day after the National Basketball Association suspended the rest of their season over the coronavirus. (The National Hockey League and Major League Soccer have also suspended their remaining seasons.) Thank the Utah Jazz's Rudy Gobert in big part for that, if you're a basketball fan.

One minute, Gobert mocked the virus by touching reporters' mikes and cell phones and notebooks. The next, Gobert tested positive for the big bug. Hope Gobert's proud of himself. Jokes are supposed to be funny.

Bryant knows that while it's too easy to fall into incessant panic it's even easier to think that your profession is bigger than a virus that's a very real threat to the very real people who love, engage, and pay very hard-earned money to watch.

"We just we all need to take precautions and be safe," Bryant told the Chicago Tribune. "I have a lot of family members who are older, too, and I’d love to keep them safe and our fans and everyone around the game. It just shows there are things bigger than baseball, and these are things we need to take very seriously."

So far as anyone knows, Bryant didn't even think about kidding around by touching the writer's mike, cell phone, or notebook. He was more concerned about things like the prospect of playing baseball before crowds of zero, something Baltimore Orioles veteran Chris Davis isn't exactly thrilled about, having been-there/done-that after the Baltimore riot of 2015.

"I keep saying it’s people’s safety and health that is the most important thing," Bryant said. "If we can find a way to not put people in jeopardy, that’s what I’m all for. People’s lives mean more to me than baseball."

If Kris Bryant, who loves the game as dearly as any young man who's ever played it, could say that, baseball had every reason to heed it. Boswell wrote the same thing, more or less:

MLB’s decision about spring training may just be a warmup — but a useful one — for much tougher decisions to come as Opening Day approaches . . . The time for MLB to act is now. Baseball, caught amid several integrity of the game issues, has a chance to do the right thing at the right time; while it would lose some money, the game would gain far more in respect and restored stature.

Either cancel spring training games and play intrasquad games, or play without fans in the stands until Opening Day in two weeks. Don’t wait to see what happens. Don’t wait until we all see more nationwide test results or until an outbreak erupts near a spring training camp and, perhaps, health officials trace back the origins of a community outbreak to a trivial spring training game.

Professional athletes aren't exactly universally immune to delusions of grandeur. A few of them have been fool enough to believe they were invincible. Until they weren't. A lot of them had no delusions about how mortal they were off the field, off the court, outside the ring. Until they were proven tragically right.

A longtime gag had it that an airline stewardess once advised Muhammad Ali to fasten his seat belt, to which Ali replied with his signature big grin, "Superman don't need no seat belt." The stewardess was distinctly unimpressed. She deadpanned, "Superman don't need no airplane, either."

It's one thing to laugh in the face of crisis or disaster. When the Great Depression struck deep, Will Rogers went aboard radio's Good Gulf Program and told his listeners, "We hold the distinction of being the only nation in the history of the world that ever went to the poorhouse in an automobile." Today Italy can say that, considering it's practically closed the entire country down, they hold the distinction of being the only nation in the history of the world that ever succumbed to a possible pandemic on personal computers.

That's called laughing like Figaro that you might not weep. Gobert's funny cost playoff-bound NBA teams a chance to pocket big playoff pelf. His teammate Donovan Mitchell has also turned up coronavirus-positive. Mitchell isn't in the mood to be flip, just humbled.

"Thanks to everyone who has been reaching out since hearing the news about my positive test,” the All-Star guard wrote on his Instagram page. “We are all learning more about the seriousness of this situation and hopefully people can continue to educate themselves and realize that they need to behave responsibly both for their own health and for the well being of those around them."

Passan reported late Wednesday that "numerous" baseball teams began pulling scouts off the road and sending them home, while some teams whom he didn't identify began curtailing travel. MLB already braced for more local and even state governments to ban large gatherings while the coronavirus travels so far and so wide.

"It felt like the most meaningless game in the history of the sport," said St. Louis Cardinals third baseman Matt Carpenter, about an exhibition game, after he was told baseball might suspend the rest of spring training.

There will be meaningful baseball to come once the coronavirus is knocked to one side. A recovering nation will need the game badly. Just as we needed baseball and other games to give succor whenever we've faced pestilence, disaster, and war in the past.

The 1979-81 crisis of Americans held hostage in Iran? The U.S. hockey team gave the country one incandescent morale boost (and much of the world a thrill) with their dramatic Olympics triumph.

The 9/11 atrocity? Hall of Famer Mike Piazza yanked New York and the country into a frenzy in the Mets' first home game following the 9/11 atrocity with a dramatic late-game home run.

The Boston Marathon bombing? The Red Sox yanked a stricken city all the way to the 2013 World Series championship.

"Our hearts get in the way of our heads — even the smart heads," Boswell wrote. But even the smart heads get awful dumb, or awful self-aggrandising, awful fast, when it comes to something like the coronavirus. Baseball is often called the thinking person's sport. Now's the time for baseball to think. Hard.

"Baseball needs to get past its idyllic image of spring training and its place in the natural rhythm of the game," Boswell continued. "Like the rest of us, MLB needs to face the reality we have, not the one we would prefer."

The short term idyll is worth the sacrifice on behalf of the longer term health, of the game and the country that loves it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is what baseball's government just told the people and the nation who've loved the game so deeply so long.
---------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AllThatJazzZ
@andy58-in-nh
@AmericanaPrime
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

MLB suspends action today, so they did the right thing.
Selfishly, I'd love the diversion, but not at the expense of anyone attending, fan, player. or personnel.
Hell, I even want the umpires to be safe.
Yeah, okay, even Joe West and Angel Hernandez.
 :cool:

Seriously, I hope each and everyone of us get through this, along with our friends, families, co-workers, neighbors, pizza delivery guy, squeegee guy on the corner, all of us.

Offline Applewood

The way I figure, those will be a few weeks that the Pirates won't be losing games. 

Offline GrouchoTex

The way I figure, those will be a few weeks that the Pirates won't be losing games.

LOL, and no booing at the Astros.

Offline EasyAce

MLB suspends action today, so they did the right thing.
Selfishly, I'd love the diversion, but not at the expense of anyone attending, fan, player. or personnel.
Hell, I even want the umpires to be safe.
Yeah, okay, even Joe West and Angel Hernandez.
 :cool:

Seriously, I hope each and everyone of us get through this, along with our friends, families, co-workers, neighbors, pizza delivery guy, squeegee guy on the corner, all of us.
Amen brother.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

Always look on the bright side.  wink777

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I suppose they don't want to play to empty Stadiums.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

Maybe if they didn't charge so damn much for tickets.  I long for the days of $5 tickets.  Back when baseball was still a blue collar game.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline EasyAce

@Cyber Liberty
Most players do draw on the crowd energy.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty
Most players do draw on the crowd energy.

I've been wondering since I heard about it how they were planning on doing the "Field of Dreams" game.  There's that field from the movie (in Iowa?) with no stands.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

I've been wondering since I heard about it how they were planning on doing the "Field of Dreams" game.  There's that field from the movie (in Iowa?) with no stands.
They apparently built temporary stands to hold eight thousand people around that field. Those who get tickets will also get to walk through the corn fields to get to the field and the stands.

Online Polly Ticks

I'm really hoping this is yet another bad call from Angel Hernandez:

Jogging past the Yankees right-field clubhouse on his way to the umpires locker room, Angel Hernandez noticed a group of waiting reporters and called out, “See you in June.”

Coronavirus shutdown: What’s next for Yankees? ‘See you in June,’ ump Angel Hernandez says
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
See you in June

That's probably about right.    That gives about three months for the virus's impact to be muted.   

Make no mistake,  people will continue to get sick.   They have to.   The virus is here to stay, and a critical mass of community immunity needs to be built up,  just as it has with the flu.  Lots of folks need to get sick and get better.   Obviously,  the focus needs to be on care for the elderly and others with health issues for whom  the virus will require hospitalization.   But if you're young and healthy, consider it your patriotic duty to get sick and then isolate yourself for two weeks.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline musiclady

At first I thought that canceling everything was an overreaction, but the more I reflect on it the more I think that it’s smart to do this.

It will surely minimize the spread of the virus and get the worst of it over more quickly.

I just saw that Kevin Love is donating part of his NBA salary to the people who have lost jobs in the arena while this is going on.

Maybe some baseball guys will do the same thing...
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline skeeter

I'm really hoping this is yet another bad call from Angel Hernandez:

Lol. Its a safe bet.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
That's probably about right.    That gives about three months for the virus's impact to be muted.   

Make no mistake,  people will continue to get sick.   They have to.   The virus is here to stay, and a critical mass of community immunity needs to be built up,  just as it has with the flu.  Lots of folks need to get sick and get better.   Obviously,  the focus needs to be on care for the elderly and others with health issues for whom  the virus will require hospitalization.   But if you're young and healthy, consider it your patriotic duty to get sick and then isolate yourself for two weeks.
If the whole point is to get it spread as quickly as possible, doesn't isolation do the exact opposite?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Thanks so much @EasyAce

This one just broke.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-minor-leaguer-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-team-quarantines-all-milb-players-for-two-weeks/

Do you know what teams the Yankees have besides the Trenton Thunder?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

Thanks so much @EasyAce

This one just broke.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-minor-leaguer-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-team-quarantines-all-milb-players-for-two-weeks/

Do you know what teams the Yankees have besides the Trenton Thunder?
@Gefn

In addition to the Thunder, the Yankees' affiliates are: the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (AAA); the Tampa Tarpons (A-advanced); the Charleston River Dogs (A); the Staten Island Yankees (A-short season); the Pulaski Yankees (Advanced rookie; Virginia); and, two Gulf Coast League Yankees at the rookie minor league level, also in Tampa.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
@Gefn

In addition to the Thunder, the Yankees' affiliates are: the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (AAA); the Tampa Tarpons (A-advanced); the Charleston River Dogs (A); the Staten Island Yankees (A-short season); the Pulaski Yankees (Advanced rookie; Virginia); and, two Gulf Coast League Yankees at the rookie minor league level, also in Tampa.

Wow. Didn’t know there were so many teams! The Thunder is my favorite team. Their ball dog is the best! Maybe the actual Yankees would play better if THEY had a ball dog too.

Offline EasyAce

Wow. Didn’t know there were so many teams! The Thunder is my favorite team. Their ball dog is the best! Maybe the actual Yankees would play better if THEY had a ball dog too.
@Gefn
The Las Vegas Aviators also have a ball dog. He even runs the bases now and then. When they were still the 51s (they changed the name before last season), I went to one game and had no idea the day was a "Bark in the Park Day"---dogs all around the stands. If I'd known, I'd have brought one of my dogs!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Gefn
The Las Vegas Aviators also have a ball dog. He even runs the bases now and then. When they were still the 51s (they changed the name before last season), I went to one game and had no idea the day was a "Bark in the Park Day"---dogs all around the stands. If I'd known, I'd have brought one of my dogs!

I love the Bark in the Park games!  We have them in AZ, too.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Hurray for Bark in the Park.

Offline EasyAce

I love the Bark in the Park games!  We have them in AZ, too.
@Cyber Liberty
Please, I've seen some Bark in the Park games where I thought one of the dogs should have been managing!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty
Please, I've seen some Bark in the Park games where I thought one of the dogs should have been managing!

:laugh:

MeeToo. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

@Cyber Liberty

Yep!