Author Topic: The unholy crusade against gas appliances  (Read 446 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The unholy crusade against gas appliances
« on: March 07, 2020, 11:06:57 pm »
Watts Up With That? by Duggan Flanakin 3/7/2020

Eco darling natural gas gives way to wind, solar and battery electricity – and slave labor

When Berkeley, California last year became the first U.S. city to ban the installation of natural gas lines to new homes, Mayor Jesse Arreguín proudly stated, “We are committed to the Paris Agreement and must take immediate action in order to reach our climate action goals. It’s not radical. It’s necessary.”

Phasing out natural gas-fired electric power generation by 2030 is bedrock dogma in the Green New Deal. In fact, it’s become an unholy crusade. So it should be no surprise that climate alarmists would jump at the chance to ban new natural gas lines. Many other cities in California have already followed Berkeley’s lead, as has Bellingham, Washington. More gas bans are in the offing nationwide. Connecticut lawmakers actually want a law that would pressure insurers to stop insuring homes that have gas appliances or heating systems!!

But Takoma Park, Maryland, which proudly bills itself as “the Berkeley of the East,” wants to go even further. City officials have proposed to ban “all gas appliances, close fossil fuel pipelines, and move gasoline stations that do not convert to electric charging stations outside city limits by 2045.” The Takoma Park proposal also mandates all-LED lighting by 2022 for all buildings, including single-family homes. Composting would also become mandatory.

More: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/07/the-unholy-crusade-against-gas-appliances/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The unholy crusade against gas appliances
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 12:52:37 am »
"Connecticut lawmakers actually want a law that would pressure insurers to stop insuring homes that have gas appliances or heating systems!!"

I'm in CT -- first I heard of that.
I have gas heat, hot water, and a gas range.
Not giving them up.
If by some chance they made it illegal for me to buy home insurance, I'd do without. Simple as that.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 08:51:37 am »
Great. The DPRM (Demokratik People's Republic of Maryland) would be the likely site of a contestant in the Stupid Liberal Olympics.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 09:50:29 am »
I’ve always had gas heat and gas running my kitchen stove. During hurricane Sandy and Irene, I lost electricity but I still had gas so I could heat up water and make coffee, or open a can of soup.

This new apartment only has electricity so if the power goes out, I can’t cook. However I do have a gas fireplace so I won’t get cold.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 12:51:43 pm »
I wish I had a gas kitchen, but No. I have gas heat, hot water and dryer. I lost power for 2 weeks after a hurricane. I cooked on a 2 burner propane camp stove out in my breezeway. I had a 2.5kw 1,800 rpm generator converted to propane. Halfway thru the outage I tapped it into my natural gas and it did well.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 01:07:32 pm »
As a Realtor in my working life (40 years), there was a time that homes with gas heat and cooking were a premium because of the rising cost and inefficiency of electric forced-air systems.     

I still get a bit aroused standing in front of an 8 burner Viking stove.    happy77
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 01:36:56 pm »
Having gone to culinary school,  I am partial to gas cooking, but here's an idea for state and federal governments - stop trying to control every single aspect of our lives!!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 02:05:35 pm »
Having gone to culinary school,  I am partial to gas cooking, but here's an idea for state and federal governments - stop trying to control every single aspect of our lives!!

I see many homes in the rural Maryland that use propane gas tanks above ground for...cooking at a minimum.

Tanks are the size of rodeo clown barrels.  Placed 6 inches opposite side of kitchen or rear wall.

LOL!  I always wonder if it would be like the movies...one bullet could blow the house up.     **nononono*
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 02:29:58 pm »

I agree if you are a home owner. If you have an apartment it’s a different story. But it’s fine for me, if something breaks they’ll fix it. And where I live the average house is at least 450k. Not to mention property taxes, school taxes...single and apartment is fine.

I just think it’s weird that the new apartments that are being built in the last 20 years or so are all electric.

Like if I was Rip Van Winkle and woke up in 2040, would most of the cars be electric?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 02:34:41 pm »

I see many homes in the rural Maryland that use propane gas tanks above ground for...cooking at a minimum.

Tanks are the size of rodeo clown barrels.

Around here (and most everywhere I have been in the Rockies and on the plains) the propane tanks don't fit in a pickup bed... The propane truck comes around once a year to fill it up... In fact the ones that DO just fit in a pickup bed are a rare and desired commodity - Hillbilly cabins are far enough up in the sticks that the propane truck will not go there. It is not uncommon to find a converted pickup bed trailer dedicated to propane. It's as big as is easily made portable, and may only have to be filled once or twice in a year.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 02:45:58 pm »

Tanks are the size of rodeo clown barrels.  Placed 6 inches opposite side of kitchen or rear wall.

LOL!  I always wonder if it would be like the movies...one bullet could blow the house up.     **nononono*

They are commonplace in rural areas.  My rustic Wisconsin cabin has LP.  I fill it every other year or so.  For some reason, I love cooking with it.  LP has slightly less heat content than natural gas but it seems better.  Can't quantify it, but I like it.

As for the bullet to the tank?  No, it won't blow up.  That is a Hollywood contrivance.  The show Mythbusters even did piece on it. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 09:04:05 pm »
I'm trying to resist the temptation to holler that if gas is outlawed only outlaws will have gas.

Or, that they'll pry my gas oven and my natural-gas barbeque grill out of my cold dead arms.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.