Author Topic: ‘1917’ Isn’t the First (Supposedly) One-Shot Film. Here’s a Timeline.  (Read 818 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
‘1917’ Isn’t the First (Supposedly) One-Shot Film. Here’s a Timeline.

Filmmakers have been vying for decades to come up with loooong takes that tell tales great and small.

By Eric Grode

Dec. 25, 2019, 5:00 a.m. ET

“Action!” “Cut!”

They’re the two most common words you might expect to hear on a film set. One gets the cameras rolling; the other stops them. The question then becomes what to do with all the footage.

The art of editing, of assembling various camera angles of various scenes for dramatic effect, has long been a crucial component of cinema, from D.W. Griffith’s crosscutting in “Birth of a Nation” to Alfred Hitchcock’s “Psycho” shower scene to Paul Greengrass’s white-knuckle “Bourne” action sequences.

At the same time, though, a counternarrative of cinematic tortoises has nestled alongside these itchy-splicing-finger hares. More and more directors are using long takes — scenes unspooling in real time, free of edits — as a sobering reminder of temporality, a virtuosic calling card, a self-issued challenge or all of the above. The trend may have reached its commercial apotheosis with the 2015 Academy Award winner, “Birdman,” which told the story of an action hero’s attempted Broadway comeback seemingly in real time. (Peak TV has also gotten involved, in a particularly daring 2017 “Mr. Robot” episode as well as extended action sequences in “True Detective” and “Daredevil.”)

Read more at: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/25/movies/1917-single-take.html

One shot follows the character throughout the whole movie <---- That's my understanding, correct me if I am wrong. I'm sure it's good, they are always saying these movies are the best since... "Saving Private Ryan", some, I'm a bit mixed emotions about. I like for example "Dunkirk" which I was reading about in a review, I like most of them but I give them more like 7s,  7.5s. They are still good.

But this one sounds promising.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 01:32:16 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Offline mountaineer

I've read one negative review, the writer apparently not a fan of the single-shot motif. Otherwise, I've heard the cinematography is spectacular and intend to see it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

I'm getting a Jan. 10th release, I thought maybe it was sooner.  So, at least, theaters around here apparently will not have it for awhile.

Offline mountaineer

I believe it was released for one day in a few markets, but general release is Jan. 10. Living in the boondocks as I do, it may take some effort to find a theater.

Offline mountaineer

The best movies of 2019: ‘Parasite,’ ‘1917’ top critics’ lists
By Johnny Oleksinski and Sara Stewart
December 27, 2019 | 1:58pm

... Here, our critics tell us their picks for the best of the year. ...

They’re back to making enjoyable movies regular people want to see.

The best of those was “1917,” director Sam Mendes’ personal, technically flabbergasting World War I epic. It was edited to look like one continuous shot, which transcended gimmickry and created intensely intimate storytelling.

Another ginormous picture that had everybody talking was Scorsese’s “The Irishman,” a mob movie spanning five decades, and starring legends Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci. It was a huge undertaking that only Netflix was bold enough to pay for. To make the movie work, actors were digitally de-aged, but the acting shone through the tech.

But they say size doesn’t matter, and this time, that’s actually true. My year began at the Sundance Film Festival with a pair of tiny-but-beautiful heart-warmers: “The Farewell,” starring Awkwafina in a breakthrough performance, and “Blinded by the Light,” a coming of age tale set to the music of Bruce Springsteen. ...   More at NY Post

Offline mountaineer

Another review:
‘1917’ Tells One Of The Greatest Stories Of Courage Since ‘Saving Private Ryan’
January 3, 2020 By Ellie Bufkin

It’s not often a film about a conflict as brutal and heartbreaking as the First World War manages to cut through tragedy and tell a story of courage and bravery. “1917,” which follows the release of Peter Jackson’s groundbreaking World War I documentary “They Shall not Grow Old” by one year, shares a story of selflessness and honor through technically dazzling cinematic effects.

Cut to appear as though the film was made in one continuous shot, impossibly young Lance Corporals Blake and Schofield traverse through the war-torn Belgian countryside to deliver a critical message that could save thousands of lives. The young men navigate through booby-trapped bunkers, sniper fire, and scores of other mortal dangers knowing they must complete their mission at all costs.  ...

Beyond the technical cinematic achievement and the moving, haunting portrayal of soldiers risking their lives to save others in the later stages of the First World War, “1917” is energetically paced and will leave no viewer yearning for more action. ...
Entire article at The Federalist

Offline mountaineer

Mr. M and I saw "1917" at the early show today. It was incredible.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
To who’s benefits brother saw it this past week and told me it was awesome but he didn’t recommend it for me.

I agree. It would really upset me at this moment. But I really appreciate how good it must be.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

It's intense and there are quite a few dead bodies lying around (including the bloated corpses of villagers floating in a river), but there's little actual gore and very little profanity.

Offline TomSea

Sounds great, a theater nearby is playing it, I will try to see it next week.

Offline mountaineer

Highly recommended.