Author Topic: The Nats want Strasburg and Rendon, but keeping their culture is an even higher priority  (Read 865 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The Nats want Strasburg and Rendon, but keeping their culture is an even higher priority

Tom Boswell

snip>>>>>

Many Nats believe, especially after this past season, that Rizzo could fix the hull of the Titanic with a toothpick. He signed Kurt Suzuki and Gomes as a new catching duo, when neither was in high demand. They combined for 29 homers and 106 RBI. He assembled platoons at first and second base out of driftwood; they produced 37 homers and 128 RBI and 30 homers with 96 RBI, respectively. He built a bullpen that stunk. Then he saved it at the trade deadline with Daniel Hudson and a playoff plan to have his aces help out in the bullpen. He got Gerardo Parra and Asdrúbal Cabrera free — ex-teams paid ’em.

Ryan Zimmerman makes his plan clear: Re-sign with Nationals or ‘play some more golf’

Next on the agenda is preserving the team’s culture. The Nats did not just win a World Series last season; they redefined their clubhouse. That was a conscious Rizzo/Lerner project. Now they need to reassemble as much of that fun-loving, team-first, low-cost, hard-nosed, aged bunch as possible.

No one at Nationals Park will say that subtracting Bryce Harper was needed to improve chemistry, increase accountability, banish baseball’s typical big-ego star system and make room for who-knows-what — maybe even a Baby Shark — to bloom. But it was a key. Everyone knows it, and the lesson only is reinforced by Harper having a typically productive slugging season in Philadelphia yet the Phillies finishing .500 and firing their manager.

More at link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/the-nats-want-strasburg-and-rendon-but-keeping-their-culture-is-an-even-higher-priority/2019/12/04/4b2c1d02-16d5-11ea-9110-3b34ce1d92b1_story.html?fbclid=IwAR2C8kGKt1sc5kPiCQhp9QIZg1CM-xvOJtE6dznI8RAibbGYGBRBmN7rBuk
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 09:28:12 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

My thinking is that they'll let Anthony Rendon leave and focus on Strasburg.

They've nurtured Stephen since they drafted him #1.   

He's very appreciative how the NATS showed more concern for his MLB 'career', when they shut him down in the middle of a pennant race.

He's believes in the family unit...loves the schools and neighborhood.   

Although, I'll bet he wouldn't mind pitching in a dome for 80+games per.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
My thinking is that they'll let Anthony Rendon leave and focus on Strasburg.

They've nurtured Stephen since they drafted him #1.   

He's very appreciative how the NATS showed more concern for his MLB 'career', when they shut him down in the middle of a pennant race.

He's believes in the family unit...loves the schools and neighborhood.   

Although, I'll bet he wouldn't mind pitching in a dome for 80+games per.
@DCPatriot
I had my own thoughts about the Strasburg-Rendon conundrum here.

But I'll note, too, that unless my memory is playing hide and seek, Strasburg bought a home in the D.C. area very recently.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

@DCPatriot
I had my own thoughts about the Strasburg-Rendon conundrum here.

But I'll note, too, that unless my memory is playing hide and seek, Strasburg bought a home in the D.C. area very recently.

Last season proved that having three #1's and two #2's in your rotation, plus a quality closer and set-up man will win a World Series.

IMO, I'd let Anthony go and go after a Donaldson-type 3rd basemen.  And I mean that personality...as well as production.  Not even in that order LOL!

We need another 'Parra' to keep it fun.

Offline EasyAce

We need another 'Parra' to keep it fun.
@DCPatriot
Something tells me these guys'll keep the fun alive regardless.

#DontStopTheDance
#NatsTrain
#SharkInThePark

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DCPatriot

@DCPatriot
Something tells me these guys'll keep the fun alive regardless.

#DontStopTheDance
#NatsTrain
#SharkInThePark

Can't wait for the pitchers to report.

:beer:

Offline EasyAce

Can't wait for the pitchers to report.

@DCPatriot
Without the catchers?  :tongue2:

Online DCPatriot

:beer:@DCPatriot
Without the catchers?  :tongue2:

:silly:

Don't ever change!     @EasyAce

Offline EasyAce

:silly:

Don't ever change!     @EasyAce
@DCPatriot
I shall restrict myself to mere improvement, I promise.