Author Topic: DOJ places new legal barrier between Democrats and Trump impeachment witnesses  (Read 180 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
DOJ places new legal barrier between Democrats and Trump impeachment witnesses
By John Kruzel - 11/05/19 11:35 AM EST

The Justice Department opened a new front in the legal battle between congressional impeachment investigators and the White House on Tuesday by announcing that Congress must allow government attorneys to accompany executive branch witnesses who testify about President Trump's relations with Ukraine. 

In a newly released memo, the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel said “the assistance of agency counsel” is needed because testimony has the potential to disclose information “protected by executive privilege.”

The House Intelligence Committee, which has taken the lead on the impeachment inquiry, has heard from a number of witnesses whose personal lawyers have been allowed to attend depositions. But the Justice Department argued in its memo that the exclusion of government lawyers deprives Trump of his constitutional power to screen privileged information from lawmakers.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/469012-doj-places-new-legal-barrier-between-dems-and-trump-impeachment
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

If it's what you say it is, I love it.

I think all the witnesses that work for the US Government should be allowed government lawyers if they choose.  In fact I bet witnesses ARE already allowed to have government lawyers if they choose.

Much like the House Republican's march of the pizza brigade to the secret impeachment proceedings they were already allowed to attend, this sounds to me like demanding something that's probably already allowed.  The GOP and the Administration can't defend the substance of the charges so they are reduced to complaining about the process. 

I have read nothing to this point that indicates witnesses are not allowed government lawyers in the closed door depositions going on now.  However, If government lawyers are barred from closed door depositions, I'll bet when the open testimony begins, at the end of this month, the witnesses will be allowed government lawyers if they choose.  It sounds like AG Barr is arguing witnesses must take a government lawyer and, unfortunately for Barr, he doesn't get to set the rules of House proceedings.

Offline conservativevoter

But, isn't it hard to tell just what crimes are alleged without being told that it's a criminal act to have a phone call with a foreign president?  Where in the Constitution does it condemn a phone call?  Is it in Schitt's phone book?  Pelosi's?   

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

But, isn't it hard to tell just what crimes are alleged without being told that it's a criminal act to have a phone call with a foreign president?  Where in the Constitution does it condemn a phone call?  Is it in Schitt's phone book?  Pelosi's?

Good point.  Does anybody really believe that the average American voter can follow a convoluted scandal like "weapons for dirt" and "coverup?"