Author Topic: Did Boris Johnson Just Rope-a-Dope His Way into a Hard Brexit?  (Read 201 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Did Boris Johnson Just Rope-a-Dope His Way into a Hard Brexit?
« on: September 09, 2019, 05:10:48 pm »
Did Boris Johnson Just Rope-a-Dope His Way into a Hard Brexit?

September 8, 2019

By Mark Hanna

As of Friday, September 6, an extension of three months to prevent the U.K. leaving the E.U. without a deal passed the Houses of Commons and Lords.  In order for that legislation to become law, there must be consent by the monarch — in this case, Queen Elizabeth II.  Once she assents, the bill becomes law.

While most everyone is considering her assent a formality on Monday, it should not quite yet be considered a fait accompli.  The queen can lawfully refuse assent or delay her approval, which would effectively veto the bill and keep it from becoming law, thereby paving the way to a No Deal Brexit on October 31.

There are two occasions when the monarch can and should, according to most academic experts in the matter, refuse assent...

Very interesting!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien