Author Topic: One pitcher’s death and another’s murderous bereavement  (Read 1018 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Painkillers plus alcohol killed Tyler Skaggs. Murder took Blake Bivens's wife, son, and mother-in-law.
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.com/2019/08/30/one-pitchers-death-and-anothers-murderous-bereavement/

The Angels’ Tyler Skaggs’s (left) painkiller-related death raises a suspicion or
three; murder robbed Rays minor league reliever Blake Bivens (right) of his
wife, infant son, and mother-in-law. Bivens should be just as worthy of our
sympathy and perhaps a degree or three more . . .

Fetanyl is a synthetic pain reliever usually though not exclusively administered for relief in cancer patients. Oxycodone, perhaps the most infamous among opioid pain relievers, is prescribed normally for those who need long-term, around-the-clock pain relief.

The Tarrant County (Texas) medical examiner says both plus alcohol were in Tyler Skaggs’s system the night he died unexpectedly on 1 July. “[A]lcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents,” the medical examiner’s report is quoted as saying.

That clinical language translates to the 27-year-old Angels’ lefthander vomiting and choking on it under the influence in his sleep.

Skaggs’s death provoked a hurricane of grief around baseball that seemed exacerbated when the Rangers, whom the Angels were in town to play, not only canceled that night’s game out of respect to the Angels but put Skaggs’s uniform number, 45, in the Angels’ uniform lettering style, behind the pitching rubber the following night, before the Angels beat them 9-4.

And when the Angels returned home from that road trip, they kicked off their first homestand since Skaggs’s death with a staggering 13-0 combined no-hitter against the Mariners that electrified its own sport and others, from Taylor Cole pitching two and Felix Pena pitching the final seven innings to Mike Trout himself accounting for about half the Angels’ destruction, his share only beginning with a two-run homer into the Angel Stadium center field rocks in the bottom of the first.

Assorted players around baseball have scratched their own little tributes to Skaggs since, including many scrawling his number 45 onto their game hats. The sole admirable sight on the otherwise execrable black (for visiting teams) and white (for home teams) Players’ Weekend uniforms—which made the games resemble contests between Mad‘s memorable “Spy vs. Spy” strips—was the circular black patch with 45 in white in the middle on every sleeve.

We’ll know soon enough, I’m very certain, as to just why Skaggs needed to take fetanyl and oxycodone. There’s already an ugly rumour that an Angels employee may have had a hand in Skaggs’s death; Los Angeles Times sports editor Bill Shaikin says MLB will investigate the claim. And Skaggs’s family has hired a Texas attorney to investigate for themselves.

Unless there was foul play of the type Tarrant County’s police couldn’t determine, or unless Skaggs suffered a medical condition about which none seems to have been aware, his is only slightly less senseless a death than what was done to the family of Rays minor league relief pitcher Blake Bivens.

Bivens’s wife, Emily; their year-old son, Cullen; and, his mother-in-law, Joan Jefferson Bernard, were shot to death Tuesday morning. Emily and Cullen Bivens were found dead inside Mrs. Bernard’s Keeling, Virginia home; Mrs. Bernard was found dead in the driveway. Bivens’s teenage brother-in-law, Matthew Bernard, is in custody charged with the crimes.

A neighbour told police Bernard came to her door and punched her in the arm before she heard subsequent gunshots at Mrs. Bernard’s home. Investigators found shell casings from a 30-30 rifle near the victims’ bodies; Bernard was arrested naked and trembling up the road after being found in a nearby wooded area. He was jogging in a circle and refused to stop at first even despite being pepper-sprayed by one officer; when he tried to choke another neighbour, police finally subdued the naked Bernard.

“My life as I knew it was destroyed,” said Bivens, a righthanded pitcher with a 4-0 won-lost record and a 3.98 earned run average but a proneness to walks for the Montgomery Biscuits (AA) this season, in an Instagram post Thursday. “The pain my family and I feel is unbearable and cannot be put into words.”

The stricken reliever tried anyway.

He called his wife the one “who made me into the man I am today and you loved me with all of my flaws.” He said of his little son, “I can’t breathe without you here. I finally understood what love was when you were born and I would have done anything for you.” And, he said of his mother-in-law, “You loved your family more than anyone I’ve ever seen. You raised the most wonderful girl in the world. I’m so glad y’all are still together.”

It says nothing against Blake Bivens that an established major league pitcher freshly married and unexpectedly dead at 27 provoked a wider, deeper choke of game-wide grief than a six-year minor league pitcher having not even a single cup of major league coffee whose wife, infant child, and mother-in-law were murdered.

But it’s impossible not to notice that Skaggs left a loving wife behind while Bivens was robbed grotesquely of his. Without denigrating Skaggs one degree (I don’t know why he used fetanyl and oxycodin, with or without a couple of drinks, and until or unless more comes forth neither do you), it’s to mourn for Bivens a little more deeply.
------------------
@Polly Ticks
@AmericanaPrime
@andy58-in-nh
@Applewood
@catfish1957
@corbe
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@EdJames
@Gefn
@The Ghost
@goatprairie
@GrouchoTex
@Jazzhead
@jmyrlefuller
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@mystery-ak
@Right_in_Virginia
@Sanguine
@skeeter
@Skeptic
@Slip18
@Suppressed
@SZonian
@truth_seeker

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: One pitcher’s death and another’s murderous bereavement
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 01:46:48 am »
Skaggs is another "accidental overdose."

Did he have a doctor's prescription? Or just street drugs?

I find it hard to believe others didn't know a thing.

Another Todd Marinovich.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 01:55:50 am »
@EasyAce

Beautifully written, as usual!   :beer:

I've said here before...and I know it's militaristic in nature, but...

With the $$$ I'm paying you for your services, which DEMAND a healthy mind and body,...

*  I own your a$$ from the day you report to Spring Training to the end of your season/postseason.

*  You are to live in a gated community with other teammates.

*  You are to Eat, Sleep, and Poop baseball.  Practice and perfect your craft and your mind.  And your body.

If that were the standard, both Skaggs and Hernandez might still be pitching.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline xyno

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 02:02:54 am »
One story rips at your gut and tears at your heart while the other is just confusing and maddening.  I can come to terms with neither.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 02:08:54 am »
Skaggs is another "accidental overdose."

Did he have a doctor's prescription? Or just street drugs?

I find it hard to believe others didn't know a thing.

Another Todd Marinovich.
@truth_seeker
Even now I still rub my eyes over how often some people can keep certain issues to themselves if they really want to. If they had such issues.

As for "another Todd Marinovich," not even close. Skaggs didn't have even a twentieth of the kind of all-but-test-tube upbringing Marinovich had.

It's possible Skaggs was under prescription. It's possible other things might have had a play in it, especially with suspicions circulating around a so-far-unnamed Angels employee.

Funny you should mention Todd Marinovich, though. Look who was profiled in Sports Illustrated in January . . .
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 02:10:30 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 02:39:43 am »
@EasyAce

Beautifully written, as usual!   :beer:
@DCPatriot
 :beer:

I've said here before...and I know it's militaristic in nature, but...

With the $$$ I'm paying you for your services, which DEMAND a healthy mind and body,...

*  I own your a$$ from the day you report to Spring Training to the end of your season/postseason.

*  You are to live in a gated community with other teammates.

*  You are to Eat, Sleep, and Poop baseball.  Practice and perfect your craft and your mind.  And your body.

If that were the standard, both Skaggs and Hernandez might still be pitching.
Read the story I linked about about Todd Marinovich from last winter. You might change your mind about that. He was raised in that kind of environment, more or less, for football, and all it did was make him a big mess for a very long time. Of course, his father was one of the biggest assholes on the planet (and now, in some sort of perverse karma, deals with Alzheimer's disease), so maybe you would be different.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 02:42:18 am by EasyAce »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 11:39:10 am »
Beautiful! Well done!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 04:49:52 pm »
@EasyAce

As others have said, it's a beautiful piece. I should have had the Kleenex ready. I'm in full agreement with @xyno's response:

One story rips at your gut and tears at your heart while the other is just confusing and maddening.  I can come to terms with neither.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 05:06:20 pm »

Read the story I linked about about Todd Marinovich from last winter. You might change your mind about that. He was raised in that kind of environment, more or less, for football, and all it did was make him a big mess for a very long time. Of course, his father was one of the biggest assholes on the planet (and now, in some sort of perverse karma, deals with Alzheimer's disease), so maybe you would be different.

I tend to look at players from an owners' perspective.  With as little emotion as possible.  But sadly never without it.

Not much different than a thoroughbred.  Not much different than any major piece of machinery that you depreciate over a number of years.

When I break down Stephen Strasburg's injury stats over his career, his shortened-shut-down season in a pennant run, it showed a different perspective than we're used to seeing.

Showed that the NATIONALS would go to ANY length in placing the player's health and well-being ABOVE everything else.

But you gotta give me something back.

Break their salary down to 'Per Plate Appearance' PPA

That's all the justification I need to demand the aforementioned list.  You're not here to burn my $$$.

You're here to hit and catch a baseball.  Just do it.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 05:27:18 pm »
When I break down Stephen Strasburg's injury stats over his career, his shortened-shut-down season in a pennant run, it showed a different perspective than we're used to seeing.

Showed that the NATIONALS would go to ANY length in placing the player's health and well-being ABOVE everything else.
And I still remember how controversial that was---for every one observer who said the Nationals were doing the absolute right thing (including me), you could find one who said the Nationals were "coddling" him. As if doing what they could (should) have done to help Strasburg enjoy a productive career and themselves to enjoy whatever fruit that career would yield was some sort of major crime.

Stephen Strasburg actually did Nats fans a huge favour when his elbow blew and sent him to Tommy John surgery---it rid Nats fans of having to listen to Rob Dibble's drivel, since Dibble notoriously said on the air that Strasburg needed to "Suck it up, kid. This is your profession. You chose to be a baseball player. You can’t have the cavalry come in and save your butt every time you feel a little stiff shoulder, sore elbow."

Well, lo! Strasburg turned out to need Tommy John surgery, and Rob Dibble---whose own career was compromised by injuries and who had, really, only five genuinely effective major league seasons on the mound, before injuries forced his early retirement---was out of a job. Appropriately.

I'd trade half a dozen Dibbles and as many Marge Schotts (you may remember Schott wasn't exactly the most enlightened baseball owner when it came to player injuries) for one Nats organisation that handles player injuries and their recoveries the sensible and intelligent way.

I wonder if Officer Dibble knows, too, that Strasburg's teams have gone to four postseasons (2012, 2014, 2016, 2017) to Dibble's only going once. (The 1990 Reds' World Series miracle.) And, that Strasburg already has twice as long an effective career as Dibble had, even allowing for their different roles. And, that I don't know of Strasburg being anywhere close to the pain in the ass in his clubhouses that Dibble sometimes was in his.

Come to think of it, I don't think Strasburg ever got himself into a knock-down, drag-out clubhouse brawl with his own manager, either.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 05:44:20 pm »

Beautifully said.  And, incredibly sad.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 06:03:21 pm »
Tod Marinovich turned 50 last month. Here's a short vid of him earlier this year.  Rehab in Prescott AZ

He has been doing this "drug addict" thing for a long time, since starting with Marijuana during HS.

On August 22, 2016, he was arrested in Irvine, California after being found naked and in possession of drugs in a neighbor's backyard. Authorities say a naked Marinovich tried to open the sliding glass door of an Irvine home. He was cited for trespassing, possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Marinovich 

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 06:39:13 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 04:53:42 pm »
Ball players used to travel with roommates.
When did this stop?
Could the Skaggs situation been avoided if he had one?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 06:22:48 pm »
Ball players used to travel with roommates.
When did this stop?
Could the Skaggs situation been avoided if he had one?
It's hard to say whether that situation could have been avoided with a roommate. Especially if there was a little hanky panky by a still-unidentified Angel employee.

Decades ago a Cincinnati catcher named Will Hershberger committed suicide and he had a roommate. Probably waited for the opportune moment. Who knows?

And Mickey Mantle never let having roommates stop him from his, shall we say, hyperactive extracurricular life on the road or even in New York (where he was known to share
his apartment with assorted teammates when the mood struck him) . . .
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:23:40 pm by EasyAce »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 08:25:34 pm »
It's hard to say whether that situation could have been avoided with a roommate. Especially if there was a little hanky panky by a still-unidentified Angel employee.

Decades ago a Cincinnati catcher named Will Hershberger committed suicide and he had a roommate. Probably waited for the opportune moment. Who knows?

And Mickey Mantle never let having roommates stop him from his, shall we say, hyperactive extracurricular life on the road or even in New York (where he was known to share
his apartment with assorted teammates when the mood struck him) . . .

The actual cause of death as I read it was, well, to be polite, like Jimi Hendrix.
If there was a roommate, he may have heard the struggle for breath, or maybe not.
If this isn't a thing anymore, may be it ought to be.
Skaggs may be alive today but for that, but we will never know for sure.
It is an argument for having roommates, I would think.