Author Topic: ‘Never approach animals’: Video shows 9-year-old girl tossed in the air by charging bison at Yellows  (Read 1926 times)

Offline thackney

A man was fatally attacked by a pet deer. His wife barely escaped.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/04/17/man-was-fatally-attacked-by-pet-deer-his-wife-barely-escaped/
Anonymous View

Apr 17, 2019 ... A pet deer stag attacked its owners, killing an Australian father and critically ... Responding officers shot and killed the deer at the scene, citing ...
Australia deer attack kills man and injures woman - BBC News
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-47957472
Anonymous View

Apr 17, 2019 ... A pet deer has gored a man to death and seriously injured his wife in a rare attack in Australia, police say. The man, 47, had gone to feed the ...
Deer Attacks - The Wireless Deer Fence
https://wirelessdeerfence.com/deer-attacks/
Anonymous View

Deer and moose have attacked humans and pets. Deer and moose can ... Moose attacks result in an average of two human deaths per year. … thanks for your ...
New Brunswick man dies after deer attack — Outdoors — Bangor ...
https://bangordailynews.com/2011/10/13/outdoors/new-brunswick-man-dies-after-deer-attack/
Anonymous View

Oct 13, 2011 ... SAINT JOHN, New Brunswick — New Brunswick wildlife officials on Wednesday shot and killed a herd of 11 deer that had been kept by a man ...
Pet Deer Attacks, Kills Owner, Critically Injures His Wife
https://www.ibtimes.com/pet-deer-attacks-kills-owner-critically-injures-his-wife-2786065
Anonymous View

Apr 17, 2019 ... Pet Deer Attacks, Kills Owner, Critically Injures His Wife ... Paul McDonald, 47, was feeding the deer in its enclosure at the family property in Wangaratta, 155 miles from ... Man Mauled To Death By Lion In His Backyard · Deer ...

A moose once bit my sister...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I was hunting once and spotted a 8pt buck with its head stuck in a barbed wire fence. He was standing totally still. I walked up to him and freed the wire off of him. He was totally still the whole time. I had to pull him back before he realized that he was free of the fence. And then he traipsed off. I was worried I'd get horned the whole time.

Offline Night Hides Not

One must be careful with all animals, not just those in the wild.

For example, we have a loving, friendly "Rotten Shepherd" that's a 90 pound bundle of love. When I take her to school to pick up my grandson, she can sometimes get skittish with all the kids running around. Most of the time, she'll sit quietly while enjoying the attention lavished by kids wanting to pet her. I also take her on a half mile walk that calms her down.

We have our horseplay, which includes her growling while playing tug of war with me. She really enjoys dragging our grandson around the floor, too. However, he knows not to get too close to her, because you never know what can happen.

You just can never be sure with animals.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
When I was in HS I had a pet? coon for awhile. A neighbor of one of my friends had found 2 baby coons and raised them. He gave one away and the last one he let have the run of the neighborhood. Well the neighbors said they'd shoot him if he got into their trash cans again. He and my friend pleaded with me to take him in as I had a huge cage that I had built for an owl I had for awhile. He hated to be penned. To get him out I'd put on both leather gloves and welding gloves. I'd stick one hand in the cage and when he clamped down on me I'd grab him, carry him to the garage that was converted into a game room and let him go. He would go around growling and finally he'd calm down and come to me. Whenever he came to me he was the most playful animal I'd ever owned.

My little sister's boyfriend used to have 2 coons that they'd bottle fed. They also let them have the run of the neighborhood. When they were small they got picked on by the neighborhood dogs. They never got over that. When they were full grown, one would walk down the street with the other one shadowing him. If a dog was foolish enough to attack the first one, well he really got tore up. The neighbors ultimately shot both of them.

Well he would want to take the coon with us in the car when we would go around. He scared the hell out of hitchhikers. He knew the owner of a music store where he would borrow albums to copy on his reel-to-reel. I was outside in the car with the coon and he came out and said the owner said it was OK to bring the coon into the store. What was I thinking?

It was a Friday nite and I took the coon in my arms into a music shop full of people. he climbed out of my arms up to my shoulders where he was going back and forth. Then he got up on top of my head. I then felt he was climbing down in front of me. I raised my hands to catch him and he turned and bit me right in the throat. I grabbed the middle of his back with my left hand and yanked him off my throat. A coon's skin is so loose I think they can spin around 3 times in their own skin. I was holding onto a buzz saw attacking my face, arms and chest.
I knew I couldn't let go of him in that store. I took him outside to the car somehow and threw him in and got in with him. And back home we went.

Offline Lando Lincoln

When I was in HS I had a pet? coon for awhile. ...

My brothers and I had a pet raccoon.  You described his temperament exactly. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

I think that girl's father was Florida Man. 
John Steinbeck

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

They're all cute and cuddly until the big-boy hormones kick in. 

Offline berdie

My little brother had one.  It was maniacal. Horrible creature.

I've had an invasion in my attic.  I'd just as soon have an alien invasion. The insurance did cover the damage but only after I had to shoot one that clawed it's way thru the ceiling into my house.  Beautiful, smart creatures...if they stay in their own areas.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 08:19:50 pm by berdie »

Offline rustynail

They're all cute and cuddly until the big-boy hormones kick in. 
Give an animal thumbs and some intelligence, hilarity ensues.

Online roamer_1

The operative paragraph:

According to witnesses, a group of approximately 50 people were within 5-10 feet of the bison for at least 20 minutes before eventually causing the bison to charge the group,” the National Park Service said in a news release. In the video, two other people could be seen fleeing from the bison before it struck the girl.

Every last one of these Darwin award aspirants should have been cited, and parents should be counseled/questioned by Child Protective Services.

What part of "wild" in "wild animals" do these people not understand?

That's right - Even farm animals... You are absolutely an idiot to get within 10 ft of a bull of any kind, without immense experience. Even a horse, pitchin a fit, can take you right out... not to mention anything wild.

More than that, the recommendation of the so called authorities is no better... 25 yards, IIRC... That's 75 feet. If that bison gets a wild hair, 75 feet is not anywhere near enough for a typical tourist to even form the idea of an action... that's less than 5 seconds. If it were a moose, a lot less than that.

Just stay in your dang car, OK?

And I will take the occasion to reiterate that every hoomin bean ought to spend some time on a farm where such idiocy is wrung out of em in a somewhat kinder fashion.

Online roamer_1

I was hunting once and spotted a 8pt buck with its head stuck in a barbed wire fence. He was standing totally still. I walked up to him and freed the wire off of him. He was totally still the whole time. I had to pull him back before he realized that he was free of the fence. And then he traipsed off. I was worried I'd get horned the whole time.

@Elderberry
That is an incredibly fortunate story.

We had to cut a dead buck off a live one once (horns were locked)... Even with another deer tied to his head, it still took 3 big and fairly determined redneck boys, all hale and hearty, dang near everything they had to bulldog that buck and keep him nailed down long enough to saw off and de-tangle the dead buck's horns...

It was only about 20 min, but by the end we were all in. Went back to the camp and took the rest of the day easy... limping and bruised.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

This is what disturbs me.  The parents did not exhibit any protective Instinct over their child. They fled with zero regard that their daughter was about to be trampled.
I don't know that those were her parents (they may have been out of the shot entirely), but for some of us, scooping up a kid, ANYONE's kid to get them out of harm's way is second nature.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Lando Lincoln

My little brother had one.  It was maniacal. Horrible creature.

I've had an invasion in my attic.  I'd just as soon have an alien invasion. The insurance did cover the damage but only after I had to shoot one that clawed it's way thru the ceiling into my house.  Beautiful, smart creatures...if they stay in their own areas.

90% of the time, ours was a joy.  In the open yard, he was a ton of fun.  If he felt cornered... oh boy.  Instant evil.  You know what's funny?  Even after all these years, I know the unmistakable odor of the critter and its droppings. 
John Steinbeck

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
This calls for this old classic:

Why we Shoot Deer in the Wild

Why we shoot deer in the wild. (A letter from someone who wants to remain anonymous, who farms, writes well and actually tried this)

I had this idea that I could rope a deer, put it in a stall, feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The first step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that, since they congregate at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away), it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, having seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it. After about 20 minutes, my deer showed up-- 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold..

The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it, it took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope .., and then received an education.. The first thing that I learned is that, while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope.

That deer exploded. The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a lot stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope and with some dignity. A deer-- no Chance. That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I had originally imagined.. The only upside is that they do not have as much stamina as many other animals.

A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head. At that point, I had lost my taste for corn-fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope.

I figured if I just let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing, and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual. Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in. I didn't want the deer to have to suffer a slow death, so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder - a little trap I had set before hand...kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in there and I started moving up so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite?

They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody, so I was very surprised when ..... I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist. Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and slide off to then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head--almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective.

It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now), tricked it. While I kept it busy tearing the tendons out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day.

Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp... I learned a long time ago that, when an animal -like a horse --strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape.

This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously, such trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond, I devised a different strategy. I screamed like a woman and tried to turn and run. The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and 3 times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down.

Now, when a deer paws at you and knocks you down, it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed.. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away. So now I know why when people go deer hunting they bring a rifle with a scope......to sort of even the odds!!

All these events are true... An Educated Farmer

''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

Submitted by Dave, Bolder, Co.

https://www.emmitsburg.net/humor/archives/funny_stories/funny_stories_15.htm

Online roamer_1

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
jpsb wrote:
"Thanks WP is behind a paywall."

As much as I dislike the WP, there IS NO PAYWALL for the original article.

I suggest you do this (in the order I present it):
1. Go to post 1 of this thread and copy the URL for the original article
2. TURN OFF javascript in your browser
3. Open a new browser window
4. Paste the URL into the URL bar at the top, then hit return.
What happens?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I am only waiting until the calf is old enough to ween.  I have her separated from the rest of the herd now.
Mostly ensure she is separated from you.

The motherly instincts of cows are frightful.  I never approach a cow with a young calf from any direction but the front within her eyesight, and will never get between her and her young one.

Have seen a stray dog with a leash (so he was obviously a pet that got loose) that wandered over to the field where the cows were/  The cows very quickly left their young with a single cow protecting them and ran over to the dog, encircled him, and tried to stomp him to death.  Never seen cows jump so high or with such agitation.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline rustynail

Another tourist injured by bison at a national park:
Officials at Theodore Roosevelt National Park say the 17-year-old girl from Colorado was on a trail Saturday and walked between two bull bison that had been fighting. One bison charged the teen who was struck in the back, gored in the thigh and tossed about six feet in the air.

Park rangers and Billings County paramedics treated the girl at the scene until the victim could be taken by helicopter to a Bismarck hospital
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2019/07/29/bison-attack-teen-injured-theodore-roosevelt-national-park/1855539001/

Offline thackney

walked between two bull bison that had been fighting.

Was this a suicide attempt?  How could anyone think that was okay?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 01:23:44 am by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online roamer_1

There's your problem right there.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

@roamer_1 .

A friend of my dad had a prize bull in a pen. Can't remember all the details but he was climbing through the barbed wire when the bull got him.  Tore him up. Broken leg. Arm. Dislocated shoulder. Broken ribs. And cuts. He was in the hospital for at least two months.  Told us first thing he did when he was able was he got out his rifle and shot that SOB.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1 .

A friend of my dad had a prize bull in a pen. Can't remember all the details but he was climbing through the barbed wire when the bull got him.  Tore him up. Broken leg. Arm. Dislocated shoulder. Broken ribs. And cuts. He was in the hospital for at least two months.  Told us first thing he did when he was able was he got out his rifle and shot that SOB.

@bigheadfred
LOL! Yeah right... And then he ate him and turned him into poo. Been there done that, have the satisfaction.

Different for folks that know...
I'm walking by all my buddies sitting on the fence of the bullpen... Sitting in a row, just lookin at the bulls... And talking about which one they are gonna ride...
And I have a cattle prod...

Yeah... You know what I have to do.
And you KNOW I have to do it...
And it will be funny as all get out.

But they know how.
These city folks ain't got a thought in their head.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Northeast Iowa farmer killed by bull

posted by Jay Greene -  Jul 29, 2019

A northeastern Iowa farmer died after he was attacked by a bull in Allamakee County on Sunday night.

It happened in a farm pasture at 1418 Conway Road in a rural part of the county.

The Allamakee County Sheriff's Office said John Conway, 59, of rural Harpers Ferry was in wooded pasture area when the bull attacked him.

The sheriff's office said deputies euthanized the bull due to its extremely aggressive behavior.

The incident is still under investigation, according to the sheriff's office.

https://600wmtradio.iheart.com/content/2019-07-29-northeast-iowa-farmer-killed-by-bull/

Just yesterday. Usually 1 or 2 a year in Iowa.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 03:16:40 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline goatprairie

Just yesterday. Usually 1 or 2 a year in Iowa.
Only about fifty miles or so from where I live. 
I had a friend who used to own a hobby farm with about 20-30 head of beef cattle. Every now and then he'd bring in a bull to do his business.
One time he took me and another friend out on his tractor to the cattle pen  to look at his cattle.
At the time the bull was in the pasture moseying around.
I asked him what he would do if the bull charged him while he was off the tractor and examining one of his cows.
He said he had a plan. But he never explained what the plan was.
As I left the farm with my other friend we concluded that his plan was  to get mauled and die.