Author Topic: ‘Never approach animals’: Video shows 9-year-old girl tossed in the air by charging bison at Yellows  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/07/24/bison-charges-flips-year-old-yellowstone-national-park-video/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d7f484dbde67

In a matter of seconds, the powerful animal had reached the child, who was trying in vain to outrun it. With a swift toss of its head, the charging bison catapulted the girl high into the sky like a rag doll, flipping her head over heels before gravity sent her tumbling to the ground.

The alarming scene was captured in a 12-second video that was first shared to Twitter on Monday and has since gone viral, serving as the latest reminder of the danger that can arise when people venture too close to wild animals. Before the original clip was deleted early Wednesday, it had racked up more than 4 million views and roughly 38,000 retweets.

The operative paragraph:

“According to witnesses, a group of approximately 50 people were within 5-10 feet of the bison for at least 20 minutes before eventually causing the bison to charge the group,” the National Park Service said in a news release. In the video, two other people could be seen fleeing from the bison before it struck the girl.

Every last one of these Darwin award aspirants should have been cited, and parents should be counseled/questioned by Child Protective Services.

What part of "wild" in "wild animals" do these people not understand?
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Whew!

The girl was taken to the Old Faithful Lodge by her family where she was assessed and treated by a park emergency medical providers, and later taken to and released from the Old Faithful Clinic.

And, here's a few other links if you don't want to give clicks to WaPo.

Angry one-ton bison attacks girl, 9, and tosses her 10ft in the air as ...
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9571272/angry-bison-attacks-girl-family-yellowstone/
Anonymous View

7 hours ago ... This video is either unavailable or not supported in this browser ... The nine-year-old is then thrown ten feet into the air and left. 4 ... "Stay 75ft away from all large animals - bison, elk, bighorn sheep, deer, moose, ... Last year a 59-year-old woman was hospitalised after she was gored by a charging bison in ...
Yellowstone bison tosses 9-year-old girl into air ... - Google News
https://news.google.com/stories/CAAqfQgKIndDQklTVXpvSmMzUnZjbmt0TXpZd1NrWUtFUWpMbk02S2pvQU1FZXY4VUw1Wnl5bTBFakZaWld4c2IzZHpkRzl1WlNCaWFYTnZiaUIwYjNOelpYTWdPUzE1WldGeUxXOXNaQ0JuYVhKc0lHbHVkRzhnWVdseUtBQVAB
Anonymous View

Read full articles from Yellowstone bison tosses 9-year-old girl into air and explore ... A 9-year-old girl was injured after a bison in Yellowstone charged her ... Graphic Video Shows Bison Throwing Girl Near Old Faithful .... Recent bison attack at Yellowstone National Park serves as reminder to never approach wild animals.
Parents saved themselves and daughter got hit up by this bison smh ...
from r/PublicFreakout

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/ch4kyo/parents_saved_themselves_and_daughter_got_hit_up/
Anonymous View

A nine-year-old girl from Odessa, FL was charged and tossed into the ... Stay 25 yards (23 m) away from all large animals - bison, elk, .... A facebook friend posted this video and someone commented

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Stupid suburbanite townies always seem to have a Disney notion of the wild kingdom, and think they can recover their inner hippie by attempting to be one with nature.

It's amazing this stuff doesn't happen more often. I feel sorry for that little girl.
The Republic is lost.

Offline goatprairie

A number of years ago some French tourist thought it would be a scream to go up to a buffalo and lean against it while a friend took a picture.
After realizing some idiot was leaning on him or her, the animal turned around, charged the moron, and gored/stomped him to death.

Offline thackney

A number of years ago some French tourist thought it would be a scream to go up to a buffalo and lean against it while a friend took a picture.
After realizing some idiot was leaning on him or her, the animal turned around, charged the moron, and gored/stomped him to death.

Hopefully the friend got some good pictures to share to help educate the city folks.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline goatprairie

Hopefully the friend got some good pictures to share to help educate the city folks.
I've been through Yellowstone numerous times and other parks where the buffalo roam. Held hostage several times while large herds walked around our car.
I can't say I've seen idiots get too close to these huge creatures. You'd think anybody seeing them up close would get just a little apprehensive about getting too near.

Offline skeeter

I blame this on Disney and their cartoon donkeys with Eddie Murphy voices.

Offline thackney

I've been through Yellowstone numerous times and other parks where the buffalo roam. Held hostage several times while large herds walked around our car.
I can't say I've seen idiots get too close to these huge creatures. You'd think anybody seeing them up close would get just a little apprehensive about getting too near.

In a wildlife drive-through park we had a bison attack our Explorer, and continued to chase us down for a distance.  Fortunately we were driving my Father-in-Law's vehicle.  The dent was a topic of discussion for years.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 05:25:59 pm by thackney »

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
"Bison" means 1,500 to 2,000 lbs of 6 foot tall mass of muscle, hooves and unfriendly attitude.... armed with horns.

Offline Idiot

I was on a ranch staking a well to drill with my trusty GPS unit within a herd of the ranchers buffaloes.  I assure you I gave them plenty of room.  They were relatively tame, but quite fast.  One never knows what a wild animal will do....

Offline thackney

I was on a ranch staking a well to drill with my trusty GPS unit within a herd of the ranchers buffaloes.  I assure you I gave them plenty of room.  They were relatively tame, but quite fast.  One never knows what a wild animal will do....

Even a not so wild one.  I have a longhorn cow that I had hand fed cubes.  She turned psycho after she had a calf.  Dang near beat me death after two years of walking in the middle of the herd without issues.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Even a not so wild one.  I have a longhorn cow that I had hand fed cubes.  She turned psycho after she had a calf.  Dang near beat me death after two years of walking in the middle of the herd without issues.

I can tell you of a number of friends and neighbors that have either been killed or injured by by supposedly domesticated cattle over the years.
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Stupid suburbanite townies always seem to have a Disney notion of the wild kingdom, and think they can recover their inner hippie by attempting to be one with nature.

It's amazing this stuff doesn't happen more often. I feel sorry for that little girl.
She's lucky if she was treated and released. If that critter (and they tend to be ornery anyway) had really been mad it would have stomped her, and the outcome would have been worse, even fatal.

Why did no adult grab the kid? That says something to me.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

Parents don't keep a hand on their kids these days.  I've seen more than my share of parents letting their kids wander off.  Saw one step off a curb and out into traffic while his mother was yapping away on her cell phone.  Just saw an article where a mother was  printing out her boarding pass at a Spirit Airlines kiosk when her child wandered off, got onto a  baggage conveyor and ended  up in the baggage area behind the airline check-in.  People, please watch your kids, take them by the hand, put them in a stroller -- whatever -- but don't let them wander off.

Offline jpsb

Whew!

And, here's a few other links if you don't want to give clicks to WaPo.

Angry one-ton bison attacks girl, 9, and tosses her 10ft in the air as ...
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9571272/angry-bison-attacks-girl-family-yellowstone/
Anonymous View

7 hours ago ... This video is either unavailable or not supported in this browser ... The nine-year-old is then thrown ten feet into the air and left. 4 ... "Stay 75ft away from all large animals - bison, elk, bighorn sheep, deer, moose, ... Last year a 59-year-old woman was hospitalised after she was gored by a charging bison in ...
Yellowstone bison tosses 9-year-old girl into air ... - Google News
https://news.google.com/stories/CAAqfQgKIndDQklTVXpvSmMzUnZjbmt0TXpZd1NrWUtFUWpMbk02S2pvQU1FZXY4VUw1Wnl5bTBFakZaWld4c2IzZHpkRzl1WlNCaWFYTnZiaUIwYjNOelpYTWdPUzE1WldGeUxXOXNaQ0JuYVhKc0lHbHVkRzhnWVdseUtBQVAB
Anonymous View

Read full articles from Yellowstone bison tosses 9-year-old girl into air and explore ... A 9-year-old girl was injured after a bison in Yellowstone charged her ... Graphic Video Shows Bison Throwing Girl Near Old Faithful .... Recent bison attack at Yellowstone National Park serves as reminder to never approach wild animals.
Parents saved themselves and daughter got hit up by this bison smh ...
from r/PublicFreakout

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/ch4kyo/parents_saved_themselves_and_daughter_got_hit_up/
Anonymous View

A nine-year-old girl from Odessa, FL was charged and tossed into the ... Stay 25 yards (23 m) away from all large animals - bison, elk, .... A facebook friend posted this video and someone commented

Thanks WP is behind a paywall.

Offline Hoodat

She's lucky if she was treated and released. If that critter (and they tend to be ornery anyway) had really been mad it would have stomped her, and the outcome would have been worse, even fatal.

Why did no adult grab the kid? That says something to me.

This is what disturbs me.  The parents did not exhibit any protective Instinct over their child. They fled with zero regard that their daughter was about to be trampled.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline goatprairie

I can tell you of a number of friends and neighbors that have either been killed or injured by by supposedly domesticated cattle over the years.
A number of years ago I read an article in a newspaper about a guy who while a regular writer for the paper also had a hobby farm with a few cattle.
One day he was out in the pasture attending to a calf that seemed to be having issues. Mama cow took issue with the guy messing around with her offspring and knocked him a** over teakettle.
Mama cow was on a truck to the market the next day.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Another top recipient of the esteemed Darwin Award was caught on camera driving through a safari park.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Oh, that's horrible!  Tigers are very scary, serious animals. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Victoria33

Oh, that's horrible!  Tigers are very scary, serious animals.
@Sanguine

In the past, I lived in a gated community in the country, not town/city.  Our houses were around a lake and we had deer everywhere and they were protected in this community.  I lived in a house with no fence so deer came around all the time. I had a five pound female Yorkie I called "Baby'.  The woman next door had no fence and she had a male Yorkie.  We had an elevated walk way around the house and that was where Baby was outside - she was never on the ground where the deer were.

The woman next door let her male Yorkie out everyday in her non-fence yard.  The Yorkie loved to chase the deer, snap at their feet.  A deer protects his/her feet.  One day, a deer stomped the Yorkie to pieces.  The woman was very upset - I knew this was going to happen so it was hard for me to feel sorry for her.  After a period of time, she got another male Yorkie and let him out.  At that time, I had two houses and I went to the other house to live before this new Yorkie was killed by the deer.   We need pet police to take pets away if the owner is not capable of taking care of a pet.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Good point @Victoria33.  Even Bambi is a wild animal.  There are people attacked and even killed by Bambi pretty often.  Weird but true. 

Offline thackney

A number of years ago I read an article in a newspaper about a guy who while a regular writer for the paper also had a hobby farm with a few cattle.
One day he was out in the pasture attending to a calf that seemed to be having issues. Mama cow took issue with the guy messing around with her offspring and knocked him a** over teakettle.
Mama cow was on a truck to the market the next day.

I am only waiting until the calf is old enough to ween.  I have her separated from the rest of the herd now.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
 A man was fatally attacked by a pet deer. His wife barely escaped.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/04/17/man-was-fatally-attacked-by-pet-deer-his-wife-barely-escaped/
Anonymous View

Apr 17, 2019 ... A pet deer stag attacked its owners, killing an Australian father and critically ... Responding officers shot and killed the deer at the scene, citing ...
Australia deer attack kills man and injures woman - BBC News
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-47957472
Anonymous View

Apr 17, 2019 ... A pet deer has gored a man to death and seriously injured his wife in a rare attack in Australia, police say. The man, 47, had gone to feed the ...
Deer Attacks - The Wireless Deer Fence
https://wirelessdeerfence.com/deer-attacks/
Anonymous View

Deer and moose have attacked humans and pets. Deer and moose can ... Moose attacks result in an average of two human deaths per year. … thanks for your ...
New Brunswick man dies after deer attack — Outdoors — Bangor ...
https://bangordailynews.com/2011/10/13/outdoors/new-brunswick-man-dies-after-deer-attack/
Anonymous View

Oct 13, 2011 ... SAINT JOHN, New Brunswick — New Brunswick wildlife officials on Wednesday shot and killed a herd of 11 deer that had been kept by a man ...
Pet Deer Attacks, Kills Owner, Critically Injures His Wife
https://www.ibtimes.com/pet-deer-attacks-kills-owner-critically-injures-his-wife-2786065
Anonymous View

Apr 17, 2019 ... Pet Deer Attacks, Kills Owner, Critically Injures His Wife ... Paul McDonald, 47, was feeding the deer in its enclosure at the family property in Wangaratta, 155 miles from ... Man Mauled To Death By Lion In His Backyard · Deer ...