Author Topic: 6.4 magnitude earthquake  (Read 1915 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
6.4 magnitude earthquake
« on: July 04, 2019, 07:09:02 pm »
6.4 magnitude earthquake

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/ci38443183/executive

As part of President Trump's July 4 extravaganza, he caused a Mag 6.4 in order to shake the box.

Felt strongly in Orange County,  no injuries.

Orange Man Good. Happy July 4th.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 02:08:18 am by Mod5 »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: 6.4 magnitude earthquake
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 09:12:32 pm »

A 6.4 magnitude earthquake struck Southern California on Thursday, the largest temblor to hit the region in years.

The 10:33 a.m. quake was centered in the Searles Valley, a remote area of Kern County about 100 miles north of Los Angeles, and was felt as far away as Long Beach and Las Vegas.

There were no immediate reports of fatalities, though authorities in the city of Ridgecrest were responding to dozens of emergency calls.

The Kern County Fire Department was responding to “nearly 2 dozen incidents ranging from medical assistance to structure fires in and around the city of Ridgecrest,” according to the department’s Twitter account.

There were scattered reports of problems at Ridgecrest Regional Hospital. Reached by phone, Ridgecrest Mayor Peggy Breeden said authorities were in the process of assessing the hospital.

"It's a little crazy here right now,” she said before quickly ending the call.

The quake was the largest in Southern California since the 7.1 Hector Mine quake struck the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps base in 1999.

There were scattered reports of problems at Ridgecrest Regional Hospital. Reached by phone, Ridgecrest Mayor Peggy Breeden said authorities were in the process of assessing the hospital.

"It's a little crazy here right now,” she said before quickly ending the call.

The quake was the largest in Southern California since the 7.1 Hector Mine quake struck the Twentynine Palms Marine Corps base in 1999.

more
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-earthquake-california-shake-quake-20190704-story.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 09:53:29 pm »
No one interested in the earthquake in Ca?.... :silly: :th_10444:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 10:04:23 pm »

I was watching earlier, then King Canute told me to change the channel to the happenings in DC!

:shrug:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 11:11:33 pm »
I hope everyone is ok

888heartkitty 99balloon
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 12:39:44 am »
Trying to find live coverage.  Closest I could get is:

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/earthquake-california-today-ridgecrest-strikes-near-los-angeles-2019-07-04-live-updates/

Apparently, there were injuries, but no word on the extent or whether anyone died. 

I guess the media is to busy covering the Trump extravaganza in DC. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 04:00:58 am »
They just got hit again, I know a 7 was devastating in one country, so, maybe they are built a lot better but that's getting up there.

UPDATE: Powerful earthquake hits Southern California; magnitude revised to 6.9 https://bnonews.com/index.php/2019/07/powerful-earthquake-hits-southern-california/ …

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1147348382438105088

https://twitter.com/BNONews

Here, Fox just reported this as well.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/magnitude-6-9-earthquake-hits-southern-california-1-day-after-largest-in-decades

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 04:43:50 am »
They are now calling it a 7.1, same place as yesterday.  We felt this one at the Castle, and in Las Vegas too.

I'd never felt a quake before
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2019, 04:54:32 am »
I felt it in Las Vegas, yesterday and today.

Yesterday all it did here was clang a few of my pots and pans that hang from along my metro shelving.

Today it rocked the floor of my house just enough . . .

I'd felt a couple when I lived in southern California, too, including a beauty while I was in a Tower Records store in which the floor kind of jumped like the old vertical agitators
of the old Frigidaire washing machines. And, one in which I was laying in bed and I was rocked almost gently like a mother would rock her baby to sleep.

Now figure this if you can: My two dogs went batshit crazy over the Fourth of July fireworks rattling the neighbourhood . . . but yesterday's and today's quake rocking, didn't
faze them in the least.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 05:12:24 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2019, 04:59:50 am »
@EasyAce  A friend in Pahrump told me tonight's was pretty strong compared to yesterday.  I didn't feel yesterday at all, but we did this one.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 05:11:53 am »
@EasyAce  A friend in Pahrump told me tonight's was pretty strong compared to yesterday.  I didn't feel yesterday at all, but we did this one.
@Cyber Liberty
It was strong enough.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2019, 07:20:45 am »

Was it Art Bell?

:Aliens:

Just kidding @Cyber Liberty

I hope everyone is ok. Sounds horrible, been in LA in 94 after that quake and those aftershocks were weird, I can’t imagine anything past 6.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

rangerrebew

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2019, 01:39:34 pm »

The only reason for the media to care is if an illegal alien had been injured.  Then they could blame Trump for not insuring illegals were safe in earthquakes. :tongue2:

Offline EdJames

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2019, 01:43:15 pm »
Waiting for them to tie this to Trump and climate change....

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 02:00:55 pm »

Close.....

California Earthquakes and U.S. Fracking Policy

https://continuumeconomics.com/2019/07/05/thought/california-earthquakes-and-us-fracking-policy
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 02:04:55 pm »
Merged two threads; put in National News since earthquake was felt in other states, as well.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 02:08:11 pm »
They are now calling it a 7.1, same place as yesterday.  We felt this one at the Castle, and in Las Vegas too.

I'd never felt a quake before

Thats a big one. I've felt a score since I was a lad but the 6.9 we had in '89 was a whole nuther ballgame.

Offline EdJames

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 02:14:54 pm »

Close.....

https://continuumeconomics.com/2019/07/05/thought/california-earthquakes-and-us-fracking-policy

Close enough.... at least for a start....

Offline Applewood

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 03:49:38 pm »

Close.....

Yup.  There was a minor quake in NE Ohio a few weeks ago that was felt in PA around Lake  Erie.  The ground hadn't stopped shaking before the anti-fracking crowd was in Harrisburg demanding an end to fracking in PA.  Of course. the idiot Dem governor agrees with them.  If he can't get rid of fracking here outright, he and the other idiots in Harrisburg will tax and regulate it to death.  Never mind that the relationship between fracking and earthquakes has not been proven or that fracking operations create jobs.  Dems don't want anything even close to capitalism.  They want total dependence on government. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2019, 05:03:25 pm »
True dat. There's a segment of the loony population in natural gas producing regions that is quite convinced the extraction causes earthquakes.  It's like "climate change, " facts not necessary.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2019, 05:17:29 pm »
At least there’s a sensible geologist out there that understands this is a typically seismically active area, with or without human activity.

The last time California experienced a quake of this size was in 1999, when the 1999 Hector Mine quake struck the Mojave Desert. There were minor injuries and no deaths.

The years since have been marked by an unusual earthquake drought.

“In California, we expect to have a magnitude 7 once every 10 to 20 years, and the last one was 20 years ago,” Jones said. “Think of this as a return to what California is supposed to be doing.”

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-huge-earthquake-forecast-southern-california-20190705-story.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2019, 05:30:25 pm »
True dat. There's a segment of the loony population in natural gas producing regions that is quite convinced the extraction causes earthquakes.  It's like "climate change, " facts not necessary.

We get tremors here maybe once every 3 or 4 decades.  I do remember one that occurred in the late '70s or early '80s that was felt in the area around Pittsburgh.  It was on a Sunday when the Steelers were playing.  I remember because local news interviewed one guy who had been watching the game on a portable tv he had on a stand with wheels.  The tremor caused the tv and stand to move across his living room floor.  The guy thought he was hallucinating.  He said something like, I knew I had had a few beers, but I didn't think I was that drunk.  LOL

Anyway, point is we do get these infrequent quakes and they have been going on long before fracking ever started in PA.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2019, 06:38:25 pm »

Nope has to do with an overflow of ILLEGALS!   :whistle:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2019, 06:47:39 pm »
Nope has to do with an overflow of ILLEGALS!   :whistle:

North America is tipping over,like Guam.  Maybe Hank Johnson isn't the idiot we thought?
I will NOT comply.