Author Topic: A new bill would offer undocumented 'Dreamers' US citizenship in exchange for military service  (Read 477 times)

rangerrebew

A new bill would offer undocumented 'Dreamers' US citizenship in exchange for military service
Kate Irby, McClatchy Washington Bureau
June 21, 2019 at 06:00 AM

WASHINGTON — U.S. Rep. Josh Harder knows there's little chance that a big immigration bill will pass in Congress this year. But so-called Dreamers — people who came to the country illegally as children — in his district want any path to citizenship they can get.

"I've heard from Dreamers, 'Just give me any route,'" Harder, D-Calif., told McClatchy.

Those conversations led to an unusual move by the freshman Democrat. He's taking up legislation that was the brainchild of his opponent and predecessor, Republican Rep. Jeff Denham, that would allow Dreamers to both enlist in the military and obtain citizenship through service in the armed forces.

https://taskandpurpose.com/undocumented-dreamers-citizenship-military-service-legislation

rangerrebew

If it passes, it better be four year enlistments whichever branch they choose.  It ought to have stringent discipline codes above and beyond what the military requires.  The "dreamers" should also be required to become fluent in English and take American History classes.  They are illegals (criminals), after all, and the path to citizenship extremely difficult,  not a four year goof off. *look*

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I wonder if many of them would even consider doing this?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sorry, Mr. Harder, but no.

I endorse granting/accelerating citizenship proceedings for LEGAL immigrants.

But NOT for illegals !

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

If it passes, it better be four year enlistments whichever branch they choose.  It ought to have stringent discipline codes above and beyond what the military requires.  The "dreamers" should also be required to become fluent in English and take American History classes.  They are illegals (criminals), after all, and the path to citizenship extremely difficult,  not a four year goof off. *look*

Four years?  Waste of our tax dollars to train them.

Put in a full career.  After an honorable retirement, we'll discuss the possibility of permanent residency.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Why not,it worked so well for Rome,didn't it?

(you MAY detect a whiff of sarcasm above)
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I am a vet. I m fine with this. Recruiting is currently failing to meet needs, even with waivers for several factors which once were disqualifiers.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline MajorClay

I'm good with this.