Author Topic: EPA opens up sales on higher ethanol content gasoline, in blow to refineries  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  James Osborne May 31, 2019

Gasoline with a higher concentration of ethanol - branded E15 - can now be sold year round, the Environmental Protection Agency announced Friday.

The EPA had long restricted sales of the fuel during summer months to prevent against potentially dangerous increases in air pollution. But under pressure from Midwestern farmers, whose corn crops feed ethanol production, the Trump administration announced last year it planned to waive the restriction.

"As President Trump promised, EPA is approving the year-round sale of E15 in time for summer driving season, giving drivers more choices at the pump," EPA Administrator Andrew Wheeler said in a statement.

Within the ethanol industry, hopes are the end of the summer restriction will lead more gasoline stations to sell E15, which contains a 15 percent concentration of ethanol compared to the 10 percent in standard gasoline. So far, E15 remains a niche product primarily available in the Midwest.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/EPA-allows-higher-ethanol-content-fuel-year-round-13909296.php

Offline Joe Wooten

It is not going to go well at all. E15 actually hurts small engines and larger engines not designed to burn it.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Well, this is one promise The POTUS has made good on.
He wooed the Ethanol lobby in Iowa during the primaries, promising to use the EPA to push this gunk.

Lower mileage, fuel system and engine damage for small engines and vehicles not designed to use it.

"WINNING"
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

And let's not forget the many environmentalists who will be gushing over with gratitude. 

Am sure it will fill the papers and I am eager to read all the good things they say about this action.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 12:38:24 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.countable.us/articles/28650-trump-administration-lifts-summer-restrictions-higher-ethanol-gasoline

Oil’s opposition

The EPA’s rule however is a blow to the oil industry that has for months described the move to lift E15 restrictions as illegal.

“We repeatedly and consistently have said that EPA lacks authority to extend the E10 volatility waiver to E15,” said Chet Thompson, president and CEO of American Fuel and Petrochemical Manufacturers. “We will review the rule and weigh our options accordingly — but certainly pursuing a legal challenge is very much on the table.”

The American Petroleum Institute, which represents more than 600 oil and gas firms, has said it will sue the administration.

API has argued that the renewable fuel standard, the nation’s policy that mandates minimum volumes of biofuels to be blended into the country’s motor oils each year, is broken and should be repealed or significantly overhauled. The group says higher ethanol blends damage some car and boat engines, an assertion the biofuel industry disputes, saying most cars on the road have newer engines that can run smoothly on E15.

“In addition to being bad for consumers, this proposal goes beyond EPA’s statutory authority. This proposal conflicts with the clear language of the Clean Air Act,” Frank Macchiarola, a vice president at API told reporters in an April call. “Attempts to cherry pick certain aspects of the RFS for reform provide more evidence that the entire program is a failure.”

The petroleum lobby is pushing for EPA to lower the so-called blend wall and cap ethanol-gasoline blends at 9.7 percent.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-ethanol-summer-gasoline-rule-20190531-story.html

Environmentalists also criticized the change, which undoes regulations imposed in 2011 by President Obama’s EPA to reduce smog.

Jonathan Lewis, senior counsel with the Clean Air Task Force, said burning higher-ethanol blends of gasoline produces more of the pollutant nitrogen oxide. This, in turn, leads to more ozone — the lung-damaging gas in smog.

“Corn ethanol is not appreciably better and is potentially worse than gasoline,” Lewis said. “The environmental effects of this rule are not a primary or even secondary concern, they just want to expand ethanol consumption.”

California, which has some of the worst air pollution in the United States, will not be affected by the EPA’s decision because the state doesn’t allow sales of gas with 15% ethanol.

“We’re going through a process to review the environmental impacts of [the rule change] to determine if we can allow it,” said Stanley Young, a spokesman for the California Air Resources Board.

Environmental groups and the oil industry are likely to challenge the rule in court on the grounds that the EPA exceeded its authority under the Clean Air Act.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It is not going to go well at all. E15 actually hurts small engines and larger engines not designed to burn it.

@Joe Wooten

I honestly believe that is a part of the plan to force use to go electric.

And of course,most of the people pushing this crap don't own or drive cars.  They take cabs,ubers,or have chauffeurs.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Why?  What's different about a "small engine" (hint: used less often)?  And why would "larger" engines need to be designed to burn a slightly higher ethanol blend?

[PS.  I'm not an ethanol supporter -- at least not in my gas tank.   I just want to see the BS subsidizes destroyed by sound economic arguments, not old wives tales based on methanol]
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Why?  What's different about a "small engine" (hint: used less often)?  And why would "larger" engines need to be designed to burn a slightly higher ethanol blend?

[PS.  I'm not an ethanol supporter -- at least not in my gas tank.   I just want to see the BS subsidizes destroyed by sound economic arguments, not old wives tales based on methanol]

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

IIRC,"small engine" is a code for "air-cooled engine". Some,especially airplane engines,are pretty damn big,but most are the little engines you see used on lawn mowers. Generally speaking,they run at wide open throttle almost all the time,and don't have the flexibility of variable timing like the larger engines with distributors/timing modules.

You can still buy leaded gas at airports for airplane engines. I guess not even enviro-whackos want airplanes falling out of the sky and landing on them. It is actually a violation of federal law punishable by time in a federal prison if they catch you burning leaded gas in your car or pu,though.

Unleaded gas is some of the nastiest stuff to ever be sold to the 'murican publik. It has polluted underground wells,and there seems to be no known solution to that problem other than banning it,and that is NOT going to happen.

Larger engines are generally watered-cooled,and

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Most of the problems with the different types of gasoline fuels have been due to the different Oxygenate Additives and Octane Boosters that were mixed with the gasoline.

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fact-sheet-a-brief-history-of-octane

Leaded gasoline used Tetraethyl Lead. This also acted as a cushion for the closing valves. When lead was removed many engines experienced damaged valve seats. I haven't had to add hardened valve seats to my 56 Chevy 3/4 ton but it has a head I pulled from a school bus. It may have hardened valve seats. I dunno.

Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether (MTBE) was the unleaded additive that was poisoning water wells.

I have a good collection of 2 cycle  tools, weed wackers, edgers, brush cutters, leaf blowers, chain saws and have run E10 in all of them. The main problems I have noted is having to replace fuel hoses and primer bulbs, over and over and over again. Other than that I've not noticed any problems other than water in fuel.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

I have a good collection of 2 cycle  tools, weed wackers, edgers, brush cutters, leaf blowers, chain saws and have run E10 in all of them. The main problems I have noted is having to replace fuel hoses and primer bulbs, over and over and over again. Other than that I've not noticed any problems other than water in fuel.

@Elderberry

You can buy fuel hose for unleaded gas at any auto supply house in the US,including all the chain stores. That will solve your fuel hose problems.

I am surprised you haven't had problems with ethanol in your old GM pu. Ethanol tends to not only break old rust free inside gas tanks,it also dissolves old gas tank repair "pastes" and causes leaks there. Not to mention increase the rust inside your tank,and your gas tank DOES have rust inside it. Most of it on the inside of the top.

There was a rust hole in the top of the gas tank of my 51 Victoria that was literally large enough for me to stick my fist through when I pulled it off. I am to the point now where when I buy an old car I automatically figure in the price of a new gas tank,gas lines,hoses,filter,and fuel pump into my "get it running and driving" budget.

I also replace all the old brake lines and hard gas lines with the new copper/steel brake lines. The stuff can be bent by hand without kinking,and it's coated inside and out so it will never rust. You can usually do a whole car with it for 25-30 bucks. With what it costs for a rollback ride home these days,it's stupid not to do this stuff to start with.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Yea I need to break down and get me a roll of some small dia good stuff gas line, cause the 2cycle replacement stuff just don't hold up. My 56 gas tank was patched before I bought it and I finally got around to replacing it. My gas line is now some heavy wall stainless tubing and I replaced the brake lines when I converted it to 4 wheel disk brakes. The rear was no problem as I could buy everything I needed, but no one I could find made the caliper mounts for the front of an Early Chevy 3/4 ton, so I had to make my own. I'm tempted to convert it to propane. My 53 Willys is technically dual fuel, but I haven't run it on gasoline in a long long time.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Yea I need to break down and get me a roll of some small dia good stuff gas line, cause the 2cycle replacement stuff just don't hold up. My 56 gas tank was patched before I bought it and I finally got around to replacing it. My gas line is now some heavy wall stainless tubing and I replaced the brake lines when I converted it to 4 wheel disk brakes. The rear was no problem as I could buy everything I needed, but no one I could find made the caliper mounts for the front of an Early Chevy 3/4 ton, so I had to make my own. I'm tempted to convert it to propane. My 53 Willys is technically dual fuel, but I haven't run it on gasoline in a long long time.

@Elderberry

I have two 51 Ford cars,a Victoria V-8 and a flathead 6 business coupe. I run regular unleaded in both with no trouble,although it is a good idea to dump a can of top cylinder lube in a tank occasionally to help cool the valves.

Truth to tell,could probably do as good a job by just dumping an occasional quart of oil in the gas tank.

Offline Smokin Joe

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

IIRC,"small engine" is a code for "air-cooled engine". Some,especially airplane engines,are pretty damn big,but most are the little engines you see used on lawn mowers. Generally speaking,they run at wide open throttle almost all the time,and don't have the flexibility of variable timing like the larger engines with distributors/timing modules.

You can still buy leaded gas at airports for airplane engines. I guess not even enviro-whackos want airplanes falling out of the sky and landing on them. It is actually a violation of federal law punishable by time in a federal prison if they catch you burning leaded gas in your car or pu,though.

Unleaded gas is some of the nastiest stuff to ever be sold to the 'murican publik. It has polluted underground wells,and there seems to be no known solution to that problem other than banning it,and that is NOT going to happen.

Larger engines are generally watered-cooled,and
As a safety concern, because ethanol is hygroscopic (attracts and absorbs water) ethanol blend fuels are not allowed in aircraft engines.

I have personally had to stop in -30 weather and pull the fuel filter off a carbureted engine on the side of the road and clear the slush out of it before I could proceed. Otherwise, I'd have been stuck there with no heat. (not good). At least I could pull over. Aircraft which commonly operate in similar temperatures, do not have the option to pull over...

Ethanol also attacks seals, valves and seats in older fuel systems, and I would attribute much of the corrosion in aluminum fuel rails to water brought in by the ethanol.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

Most of the problems with the different types of gasoline fuels have been due to the different Oxygenate Additives and Octane Boosters that were mixed with the gasoline.

https://www.eesi.org/papers/view/fact-sheet-a-brief-history-of-octane

Leaded gasoline used Tetraethyl Lead. This also acted as a cushion for the closing valves. When lead was removed many engines experienced damaged valve seats. I haven't had to add hardened valve seats to my 56 Chevy 3/4 ton but it has a head I pulled from a school bus. It may have hardened valve seats. I dunno.

Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether (MTBE) was the unleaded additive that was poisoning water wells.

We can get no ethanol gas here. Spendy, (about 60 cents/gallon more), but that is what I run in all the air cooled engines on the place.

Where my father lives in MD, not even the marinas carry it, and he has been stranded a mile offshore with fuel caused engine troubles. He has to drive 80 miles to get fuel suitable to go fishing with (small scale commercial until last year).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 04:53:01 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
As a safety concern, because ethanol is hygroscopic (attracts and absorbs water) ethanol blend fuels are not allowed in aircraft engines.

I have personally had to stop in -30 weather and pull the fuel filter off a carbureted engine on the side of the road and clear the slush out of it before I could proceed. Otherwise, I'd have been stuck there with no heat. (not good). At least I could pull over. Aircraft which commonly operate in similar temperatures, do not have the option to pull over...

Ethanol also attacks seals, valves and seats in older fuel systems, and I would attribute much of the corrosion in aluminum fuel rails to water brought in by the ethanol.

@Smokin Joe

The Nazi's started using water injection in their fighter airplane engines in WW-2 because it increased power at higher altitudes. The oxygen in the water did the trick,plus the explosions as the cold water hit the hot piston cleared away any and all carbon,and that gave more power,too.

I have used this trick several times to remove carbon from old engines to bring back the power and increase the gas mileage. Using using a soda bottle with my thumb over the top to restrict how much water is being dumped in a running engine all at one. Too much in a hot engine could result in removing a piston along with the carbon.

Water Injection systems were a semi-popular aftermarket item in Colorado when I was living there in the 70's,and this is the reason why. Especially popular if you had something like a older 4 or 6 cylinder pu and did much driving over mountain passes.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Ethanol Fuel Testing

https://www.autofuelstc.com/fuel_testing.phtml

Run the ethanol test on all the gas you buy.

DO NOT burn fuel with ethanol in your airplane. Revert to 100LL if ethanol free gasoline cannot be found.

Ethanol fuels can damage the rubber and aluminum components of your aircraft fuel system.
    Ethanol increases the volatility of fuel.
    Ethanol can absorb significant amounts of water in flight.
    Ethanol may vent off at altitude, reducing both range and octane.
    Ethanol has fewer BTUs than conventional gasoline, which further reduces range.

Ethanol has an affinity for water and can pull moisture from inlet air on humid days to such an extent that the engine may malfunction. Allowing gasoline with ethanol to remain in the airplane for extended periods of time has resulted in the need to replace carburetors, hoses, and gaskets. It has also been reported to clean the interior of fuel tanks, leaving the accumulated sludge in the screen. If you cannot find gasoline that you are certain is ethanol free, you must revert to using avgas.

Not all gasoline service station pumps label ethanol content. The ethanol industry considers pump labeling to be discriminatory and lobbied successfully for elimination of Federal pump labeling laws in regards to ethanol content. Today's pumps are labeled as to ethanol content only if state law requires it.

It has become increasingly difficult for many pilots in the US to obtain ethanol free gasoline.In some areas of the country, it is impossible to find. This is primarily due to Federal requirements and EPA regulations which require ever increasing quantities of ethanol to be blended into the nation's gasoline supply. Oil companies are required to add ethanol or they face hefty fines. Most of them today however are happy to use it because it allows them to manufacture an inferior product (sub-octane gasoline) and then to sell it for the same amount of money after blending in ethanol to make up the octane deficit.

You must be vigilant when purchasing fuel to make certain that it is conventional, non ethanol gasoline. Be certain, before ordering an STC, that you are able to purchase conventional, non-ethanol gasoline of the proper Anti-Knock Index or AKI.

Be aware that sub-octane gasoline (gasoline intended for the addition of ethanol) is being distributed to terminals in the US. Never use gasoline with an octane rating less than the minimum proscribed on your Auto Fuel STC. The old maxim is: “You may always go up in octane but not down.” Failing to observe this one simple rule can lead to catastrophic engine failure due to detonation.

HOW TO TEST FUEL
FOR ETHANOL

To determine if ethanol is in the gas:

On a test tube or olive bottle six or seven inches long, make a permanent line about two inches from the bottom.
    Fill with water to this line, then fill the tube to the top with gasoline.
    Cover the tube, agitate it, and let it stand.

The ethanol and water will mix and separate out together. If the water level appears to have increased, the fuel contains ethanol and should not be used. Ethanol percentages of less than 5% can sometimes give a reading below the line. Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence of ethanol and should serve as a basis for rejecting the fuel.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

The Nazi's started using water injection in their fighter airplane engines in WW-2 because it increased power at higher altitudes. The oxygen in the water did the trick,plus the explosions as the cold water hit the hot piston cleared away any and all carbon,and that gave more power,too.

I have used this trick several times to remove carbon from old engines to bring back the power and increase the gas mileage. Using using a soda bottle with my thumb over the top to restrict how much water is being dumped in a running engine all at one. Too much in a hot engine could result in removing a piston along with the carbon.

Water Injection systems were a semi-popular aftermarket item in Colorado when I was living there in the 70's,and this is the reason why. Especially popular if you had something like a older 4 or 6 cylinder pu and did much driving over mountain passes.
I have used water to remove carbon from an engine, too, by trickling it in through the carburetor.

Unfortunately, and something that just doesn't happen much during North Dakota winters, the water has to be in liquid form while traveling through the fuel system for water injection to be effective, or for the water to be added to clean carbon from the cylinders, pistons, and cylinder heads. Water injection had a brief period of experimentation locally, the folks who tried it liked it in the summer, but the other 6 months of the year when freezing temperatures are likely pretty much brought an end to messing with it. As i have noted, slush/ice in the fuel system will lead to a loss of power or even failure to operate, something that has the potential to be a lethal situation in North Dakota's and similar winter climates.

After a few thousand miles in the same vehicles with and without ethanol in the fuel, I have observed a 10% (or greater) reduction in fuel mileage while running fuels containing "up to 10% ethanol", according to the sticker on the pump (5.7 liter GM Vortec engines in all the vehicles). Two vehicles in which a large amount of ethanol blended gasoline had been run have required fuel pump replacement. I can't necessarily say that was premature, but others in the fleet which are only run on ethanol fuel when non-ethanol fuel is not available have not had any problem. The vehicles are from the 1997-2000 GM model block (Pre-bailout).

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I have used water to remove carbon from an engine, too, by trickling it in through the carburetor.

Unfortunately, and something that just doesn't happen much during North Dakota winters, the water has to be in liquid form while traveling through the fuel system for water injection to be effective, or for the water to be added to clean carbon from the cylinders, pistons, and cylinder heads. Water injection had a brief period of experimentation locally, the folks who tried it liked it in the summer, but the other 6 months of the year when freezing temperatures are likely pretty much brought an end to messing with it. As i have noted, slush/ice in the fuel system will lead to a loss of power or even failure to operate, something that has the potential to be a lethal situation in North Dakota's and similar winter climates.

After a few thousand miles in the same vehicles with and without ethanol in the fuel, I have observed a 10% (or greater) reduction in fuel mileage while running fuels containing "up to 10% ethanol", according to the sticker on the pump (5.7 liter GM Vortec engines in all the vehicles). Two vehicles in which a large amount of ethanol blended gasoline had been run have required fuel pump replacement. I can't necessarily say that was premature, but others in the fleet which are only run on ethanol fuel when non-ethanol fuel is not available have not had any problem. The vehicles are from the 1997-2000 GM model block (Pre-bailout).

@Smokin Joe

The one system I saw a guy using in a Mazda/Ford 4 cyl pu back in the 70's had a provision to heat the water by.

Yes,ethanol fuel does decrease gas mileage,but water injection MIGHT in some cases bring the MPG level back up to what it should have been.

Since I have and drive several antique cars and trucks,you can take my word for it that the very first thing I do when I start working on one is to replace EVERYTHING in the brake system including the lines and hoses,as well as EVERYTHING in the fuel delivery section. I am to the point now where I don't even try to clean out and coat a old gas tank. I just throw the damn thing away and spend a couple of hundred bucks to buy a new one that is coated to resist rust from ethanol,or is a poly tank. It's cheaper in the long run because off all the gas and time you lose taking a damn gas tank back off to clean it and blow the lines out. Not to mention the expense of the rollback ride home.

I also replace the gas lines with the same copper/nickel lines I use for the brake lines (no rust,inside or out),replace all rubber hoses and filters with modern ones rated for ethanol,and replace the fuel pump with a modern one rated for use with ethanol. These are just things that MUST be done before you can start driving and enjoying them.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

The one system I saw a guy using in a Mazda/Ford 4 cyl pu back in the 70's had a provision to heat the water by.

Yes,ethanol fuel does decrease gas mileage,but water injection MIGHT in some cases bring the MPG level back up to what it should have been.

Since I have and drive several antique cars and trucks,you can take my word for it that the very first thing I do when I start working on one is to replace EVERYTHING in the brake system including the lines and hoses,as well as EVERYTHING in the fuel delivery section. I am to the point now where I don't even try to clean out and coat a old gas tank. I just throw the damn thing away and spend a couple of hundred bucks to buy a new one that is coated to resist rust from ethanol,or is a poly tank. It's cheaper in the long run because off all the gas and time you lose taking a damn gas tank back off to clean it and blow the lines out. Not to mention the expense of the rollback ride home.

I also replace the gas lines with the same copper/nickel lines I use for the brake lines (no rust,inside or out),replace all rubber hoses and filters with modern ones rated for ethanol,and replace the fuel pump with a modern one rated for use with ethanol. These are just things that MUST be done before you can start driving and enjoying them.
Well, anything I have from the 70s back that has to be done, pretty much, anyway. Better to get ahead of it than have it get ahead of you. But for vehicles merely in their late teens and early twenties, it's a huge PITA to have some muckety muck in DC decree doom on millions of operational vehicles. I like this group, still mechanical in many ways, pull the 60 Amp fuse for the ABS (better braking manually, especially on snow and ice), and not nearly as much electronic gimmickery to go bad. (First they tried to crush them as "clunkers", now they sell you bad feed...)

C S Lewis

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Ethanol bad
Butanol good

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Steer clear of Hydrazine. One of my friends used to run a hydrazine mix in his dragster.

Flashback Friday: The Story of the Leathal Fuel Called Hydrazine

https://www.dragzine.com/news/flashback-friday-the-story-of-the-leathal-fuel-called-hydrazine/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 08:32:57 pm by Elderberry »

Offline thackney

Methanol good

Exactly.  Real world use and economic production rather than government subsidy or economic fantasy.

https://www.methanex.com/about-methanol/how-methanol-made
Life is fragile, handle with prayer