Author Topic: UCLA Prof Thinks There Are Too Many Male Firefighters  (Read 1203 times)

rangerrebew

UCLA Prof Thinks There Are Too Many Male Firefighters
« on: December 26, 2018, 04:45:30 pm »
UCLA Prof Thinks There Are Too Many Male Firefighters

Posted by Mike LaChance      Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 11:30am

“Many fire departments recognize that their lack of diversity as a problem”

Perhaps this professor should give up her academic career and become a firefighter. Who is stopping her?

The Daily Wire reports:

UCLA Professor: Too Many White Male Firefighters Out There

In an article printed in the Harvard Business Review, a UCLA professor argued that there are too many white male firefighters in America.

Corinne Bendersky, Professor of Management and Organizations at the UCLA Anderson School of Management, who does research on “gender bias,” posited “black firefighters still face challenges with social exclusion and explicit racism,” and “firefighters tend to default to a reductive set of traits (physical strength evaluated through strict fitness tests, for example) that serve to maintain white men’s dominance in the fire service.”

https://legalinsurrection.com/2018/12/ucla-prof-thinks-there-are-too-many-male-firefighters//#more

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: UCLA Prof Thinks There Are Too Many Male Firefighters
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 05:28:31 pm »
Another SJW, but at least she is actually a professor.  But, of "womens' studies".    *****rollingeyes*****

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 06:13:51 pm »
LOL!

Like a 125lb woman can drag my fat ass down the stairs and out of the house... not to mention a fireman's carry down a ladder.

A completely ridiculous idea. Some things men just do better. Strength and danger being two of them, and firefighters need strength to face danger way more than many.

Let's see a woman chop through a roof with an axe... Firefighting ain't just standing around pouring water on stuff. 

I know my way around wildland firefighting, and there is a reason why there ain't no women doing it.

BECAUSE THEY CAN'T.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 09:48:29 pm »
This professor has never tired to move a charged inch and a half attack line, much less deliver accurate fire suppression with one.

It's obvious. As a former firefighter, women who can do the job are few. More power to those who can, but don't risk lives for political correctness. Anyone can have a fire, and lives depend on the people who respond. Either they can do the job, with all it entails, or they can't--and that alone should be the criterion, not some gender formula. (Is that divided into 52 flavors, or just the standard he/she?)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 11:04:04 pm »
Come on people. @Sanguine @Smokin Joe @roamer_1

You're looking at this the wrong way.

I am all for more female firefighters.

You just have to pick the right ones.

Not to "man" the lines.

Just toss a couple of em in it. The SOB will go out.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 11:11:14 pm »
She’s an idiot. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 11:24:39 pm »
Come on people. @Sanguine @Smokin Joe @roamer_1

You're looking at this the wrong way.

I am all for more female firefighters.

You just have to pick the right ones.

Not to "man" the lines.

Just toss a couple of em in it. The SOB will go out.

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 11:47:14 pm »
I know an actual female firefighter, now retired.  She just didn't sit in the truck or work the command center.  She was actually on the line with all that heavy gear and the hose.   And yes, she carried people out of burning buildings.   She was and still is strong, tough as nails.  But she is the exception.  I don't know of any other women who could be a real firefighter.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 12:16:24 am »
I know an actual female firefighter, now retired.  She just didn't sit in the truck or work the command center.  She was actually on the line with all that heavy gear and the hose.   And yes, she carried people out of burning buildings.   She was and still is strong, tough as nails.  But she is the exception.  I don't know of any other women who could be a real firefighter.
I knew one in the 70s, back in MD. One of dozens who tried out who could do the job. The reason there are few female firefighters is that these women are the exception. If more could do the job, there would be more, but the bottom line is that if you can't do the job, you are a liability, not an asset--no matter who you are. There are guys who can't cut it either.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 12:25:29 am »
I knew one in the 70s, back in MD. One of dozens who tried out who could do the job. The reason there are few female firefighters is that these women are the exception. If more could do the job, there would be more, but the bottom line is that if you can't do the job, you are a liability, not an asset--no matter who you are. There are guys who can't cut it either.

We have a friend who is a volunteer here in this town. He says everything gets heavy very quickly.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 01:16:14 am »
This kind of PC bullshit will get people killed. Women simply cannot perform the same as men when brute strength is called for.

While in the military, I was assigned to a mixed team of men and women. One day a shipment of paint was dropped off on the pier. Two dozen 5 gallon containers. My team was assigned the task of carrying them aboard ship. The guys were carrying two at a time, one in each hand. The girls were dragging one container with both hands and struggling even to do that. In the end, the guys carried every one of them aboard. So by mixing men and women, pretending they are both the same thing, the only real result was the men had to do twice the work they normally would have.

Guys and girls are simply not built the same way. No matter how much the Liberals "wish" it were so. Reality is the final judge. Simply reality doesn't lie and it has no agenda.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 03:40:40 am »
This professor has never tired to move a charged inch and a half attack line, much less deliver accurate fire suppression with one.

It's obvious. As a former firefighter, women who can do the job are few. More power to those who can, but don't risk lives for political correctness. Anyone can have a fire, and lives depend on the people who respond. Either they can do the job, with all it entails, or they can't--and that alone should be the criterion, not some gender formula. (Is that divided into 52 flavors, or just the standard he/she?)

That is damn well right. Merit. Any reasonable man will welcome a woman onto a crew if she can hack it... If she can go the distance packing her share. That's what it takes to EARN respect among men, and for the most part the same would be true for anyone. It is a natural hierarchical meritocracy.

Big Gert. 6' tall, near 3 ft wide, heavily muscled, cussin, cigar chompin, Big friggin Gert. One of a very few (of any sex) to get anywhere near close to me with a pick and shovel... And I sing her praises to this day.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 03:51:19 am »
What a coincidence.  I think there are too many liberal college professors.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-