Author Topic: Does apple cider vinegar actually do anything?  (Read 1380 times)

rangerrebew

Does apple cider vinegar actually do anything?
« on: November 28, 2018, 04:31:00 pm »
Does apple cider vinegar actually do anything?

An investigation into the internet’s favorite home remedy.
By Sara Chodosh November 30, 2017

If something claims to be a miracle cure—for cancer, for overeating, for run-of-the-mill acne—you should start by assuming it isn’t. Life is hard and long and there are no easy shortcuts, especially when it comes to your health. That includes the internet darling that is apple cider vinegar.

Proponents of the fermented liquid seem to think it can cure just about any ailment, and sometimes advise taking shots of it to stave off illness. Cider vinegar is just one in a sea of trendy superfoods that plague the web, but it’s a great example of how easy it is to ascribe unfounded health benefits to generally innocuous ingredients. Apple cider vinegar won’t magically make your problems go away, no matter how much you believe in it. Most of the “evidence” in support of its benefits comes from shoddy journals and pseudo-doctors.

https://www.popsci.com/does-apple-cider-vinegar-actually-do-anything

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Does apple cider vinegar actually do anything?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 04:37:58 pm »
NOTHING works better for acid reflux.

It also does a great job of removing rust.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 04:53:27 pm »
It’s great for everything from acid reflux to vinaigrette.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 05:02:24 pm »
Water it down and drink with straw. I will eat your teeth way worse than crack.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 05:06:01 pm »
@sneakypete

That may be because a lot of dyspepsia is due to insufficient stomach acid, not an excess thereof, according to alt-medicine docs.  I've see it myself (though not specifically for GERD).

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 05:44:08 pm »
@sneakypete
That may be because a lot of dyspepsia is due to insufficient stomach acid, not an excess thereof, according to alt-medicine docs.  I've see it myself (though not specifically for GERD).

@the_doc

I thought it all was due to insufficient acid?

Offline the_doc

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 05:55:12 pm »
@the_doc

I thought it all was due to insufficient acid?

Almost all, perhaps, but not all.  (How's that for a weasely medical answer?) 

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 06:30:00 pm »

Eating pickles does. I had a coworker who tried vinegar and it didn't fix it. I switched him to pickles and that did it. I don't know why.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 07:07:25 pm »
Eating pickles does. I had a coworker who tried vinegar and it didn't fix it. I switched him to pickles and that did it. I don't know why.

@Restored

Hmmm,maybe the brine they were soaked in?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 07:45:20 pm »
If you do any epoxying vinegar is great for cleaning uncured epoxy off your hands and tools. White vinegar is fine. Cleans copper before soldering. Weedkiller.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 08:15:39 pm »

Probably because most pickle labels read:

Ingredients: Fresh Cucumbers, Water, Salt, Distilled Vinegar,...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 08:20:51 pm »
If you do any epoxying vinegar is great for cleaning uncured epoxy off your hands and tools. White vinegar is fine. Cleans copper before soldering. Weedkiller.

@Elderberry

Being an Agent Orange vet I am a little cautious about using chemicals,so the prime reason I buy vinegar is to remove rust from antique car parts. The fact that I can also use it for acid reflux if needed is a bonus. I pour the vinegar on weeds after I have used it on rust.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:23:25 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 09:51:52 pm »

I wonder if just drinking the pickle juice would work for him. The salt in the pickle may be why the straight vinegar didn't work for him.

Pickle juice is a well known cure for cramps. Straight salt works well for me too, when I get leg cramps.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 10:16:54 pm »
I wonder if just drinking the pickle juice would work for him. The salt in the pickle may be why the straight vinegar didn't work for him.

Pickle juice is a well known cure for cramps. Straight salt works well for me too, when I get leg cramps.

All of this anecdotal discussion about the usefulness of apple cider vinegar for dyspepsia reveals considerable ignorance on the part of the author of the article.  (I'm not saying ACV is a panacea, but it's probably a better home remedy than some "experts" realize.) 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 10:46:32 pm »
All of this anecdotal discussion about the usefulness of apple cider vinegar for dyspepsia reveals considerable ignorance on the part of the author of the article.  (I'm not saying ACV is a panacea, but it's probably a better home remedy than some "experts" realize.)

@the_doc

All I can testify is that it works for me,and removes rust and weeds to boot. Kinda hard to beat a combo like that.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 10:54:28 pm »
@the_doc

All I can testify is that it works for me,and removes rust and weeds to boot. Kinda hard to beat a combo like that.

@sneakypete

Do you buy organic apple cider vinegar?

Also, it's sold as something to aid in losing weight, pills don't cost too much.

BUT, my contribution to the topic that I'd swear too, is that a few years ago, I had a swelling in the ear area along with a cold or flu. I used the Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar by ear dropping and it seemed to take it down very fast. It might have to do with some other quality of vinegar or ACV but if one ever gets their ears plugged up swimming or something, I think it is worth a try. There are ear drops for swimmers with alcohol in them, so I think it must be some sort of similar situation that can dry out whatever is in the ear but that said, it worked very well for me when I had been struggling with this problem.

Some useful links, I know they claim benefits and the benefits may not be fully, fully proven but that can be up to each of us to decide.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-proven-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar#section5

http://youngscent.com/kombucha-vs-vinegar-the-new-age-of-fermented-drinks/

Organic health food store type organic apple cider vinger (ACV) and good ol' Heinz apple cider vinegar both have their places.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:10:28 pm by TomSea »

Offline the_doc

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 11:15:13 pm »

BUT, my contribution to the topic that I'd swear too, is that a few years ago, I had a swelling in the ear area along with a cold or flu. I used the Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar by ear dropping and it seemed to take it down very fast. It might have to do with some other quality of vinegar or ACV but if one ever gets their ears plugged up swimming or something, I think it is worth a try.

Vinegar for ear canal infections is supposedly a well-documented medical treatment.  (If I recall correctly, it's in the old Merck Manual.  [I haven't checked it recently.])

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 11:16:52 pm »
Exactly Doc. That sums it up better than what I said. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:27:01 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 11:40:59 pm »
@sneakypete
Do you buy organic apple cider vinegar?

@TomSea

No. I normally buy white vinegar by the gallon at the super market. I have bought the apple vinegar,but can't tell much difference.

BUT, my contribution to the topic that I'd swear too, is that a few years ago, I had a swelling in the ear area along with a cold or flu. I used the Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar by ear dropping and it seemed to take it down very fast. It might have to do with some other quality of vinegar or ACV but if one ever gets their ears plugged up swimming or something, I think it is worth a try. There are ear drops for swimmers with alcohol in them, so I think it must be some sort of similar situation that can dry out whatever is in the ear but that said, it worked very well for me when I had been struggling with this problem.

I don't know about removing water,but I can see it working to remove ear wax,or wipe out a ear infection. I would definitely want to flush the ear out with sterile water afterwards,though.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 12:22:07 am »
To me, the best thing for ear infections is ozonated olive oil. My daughter, when she was small had a lot of ear infections. I built an ozonator with glass tubing, an aquarium air pump, and a neon sign xformer and bubbled the ozone thru the olive oil.