Author Topic: Jonestown massacre 40th anniversary: Survivors lost everything, built new lives  (Read 890 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Quite a few Jonestown stories are out right now, Nov. 18th, tomorrow,  is the 40th anniversary.

Jonestown massacre 40th anniversary: Survivors lost everything, built new lives
The Associated Press, NBC4 Staff

Jonestown massacre 40th anniversary: Survivors lost everything, built new lives Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - This year marks the 40 years since the Jonestown massacre when more than 900 people died after following cult leader Jim Jones to South America.

Jonestown was the highlight of Mike Touchette's life — for a time.

The 21-year-old Indiana native felt pride pioneering in the distant jungle of Guyana, South America.

As a self-taught bulldozer operator, he worked alongside other Peoples Temple members in the humid heat, his blade carving roads and sites for wooden buildings with metal roofs.

More than 900 people lived in the agricultural mission, with its dining pavilion, tidy cottages, school, medical facilities and rows of crops.

Read more at: https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world/jonestown-massacre-40th-anniversary-survivors-lost-everything-built-new-lives/1603299452

I'd hope an excerpt is okay in view of the listed disclaimer.

Offline dfwgator

Jim Jones - Democrat

The politicos in San Francisco fawned over the guy.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I wonder where the money came from, to operate in the US, air travel, food etc. for them in So. America?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

Jim Jones - Democrat

The politicos in San Francisco fawned over the guy.

He wasn't a Rat. He was a full out Marxist. The whole point of Jonestown was building a straight up Communist commune away from the evils of Capitalism. Whenever I see some docu on the topic with the survivors they always make a point to gush over what a great concept the whole thing was but the forced labor camps and suicides ruined it.

Screw the whole filthy lot of these degenerate losers.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
the forced labor camps and suicides ruined it.

Who could have anticipated that?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Frank Cannon

Who could have anticipated that?

Anyone who has observed previous experiments in Communism.

Offline dfwgator

He wasn't a Rat. He was a full out Marxist. 

What's the difference?