Author Topic: Asia Bibi, Christian woman on Pakistan death row for blasphemy, acquitted in landmark ruling  (Read 355 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Asia Bibi, Christian woman on Pakistan death row for blasphemy, acquitted in landmark ruling
Lucia I. Suarez Sang By Lucia I. Suarez Sang, ZARAR KHAN | Fox News

A Christian woman in Pakistan on death row for nearly a decade after she allegedly contaminated a water jug -- an offense viewed as blasphemy in the Muslim country -- was acquitted by the country’s top court on Wednesday.

Asia Bibi was ordered released eight years after she was sentenced to death in 2010 on blasphemy charges – a landmark ruling that sparked widespread protests around Pakistan by hard-line Islamists and even led to the murder of a local governor.

Bibi was not in court to hear the ruling, and AFP news agency quoted her as saying by phone: “I can’t believe what I am hearing, will I go out now? Will they let me out, really?”

Continued at: https://www.foxnews.com/world/christian-woman-on-death-row-for-blasphemy-in-pakistan-acquitted-in-landmark-ruling

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Wouldn't you know, protests... but all she did was drink from a water jug and contaminated it for others?

WORLD NEWS OCTOBER 30, 2018 / 7:06 PM / UPDATED 36 MINUTES AGO
Protests after Pakistan frees Christian woman sentenced to death over blasphemy
Asif Shahzad, Mubasher Bukhari

ISLAMABAD/LAHORE (Reuters) - Pakistan’s Supreme Court on Wednesday freed a Christian woman from a death sentence for blasphemy against Islam and overturned her conviction, sparking angry protests and death threats from an ultra-Islamist party and cheers from human rights advocates.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pakistan-blasphemy/protests-after-pakistan-frees-christian-woman-sentenced-to-death-over-blasphemy-idUSKCN1N42YK

All things considered, a rightful judgement.... of course, things should never, ever get this far in the first place, imho.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:22:43 pm by TomSea »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Thank God.

That poor woman.  The fact that she is still alive is amazing.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Thank God.

That poor woman.  The fact that she is still alive is amazing.

If she wants to stay alive, she'd best get the hell out of Pakistan. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'm on record elsewhere in this forum as advocating for a complete ban on immigration and "asylum".

But once in a while there are exceptions.

This woman is one of them.