Author Topic: SCOTUS Puts The Brakes On Kids’ Climate Lawsuit Against The Government  (Read 673 times)

rangerrebew

SCOTUS Puts The Brakes On Kids’ Climate Lawsuit Against The Government
10:34 AM 10/20/2018 | Energy
Chris White | Energy Reporter

Supreme Court Justice John Roberts granted the Trump administration a stay Friday night in a climate lawsuit several young people leveled against the government.

The Trump administration repeatedly asked both the SCOTUS and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to stop the trial through a writ of mandamus, a rarely used judicial tool allowing a higher court to overrule a lower court before a verdict is made. Roberts granted mandamus after the 9th Circuit twice turned down the writ.

The 21 plaintiffs, all between the ages of 11 and 22, are arguing that federal officials violated their due process rights by allowing the fossil fuel industry to release greenhouse gas emissions, despite knowing for years that such emissions can cause climate change. (RELATED: Washington Throws Out Climate Lawsuit Brought By Environmentalists Using Children As Props)

https://dailycaller.com/2018/10/20/supreme-court-kids-climate/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Scotus should have also mandated prosecution of the lawyers who brought this ridiculous lawsuit before the court.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

Scotus should have also mandated prosecution of the lawyers who brought this ridiculous lawsuit before the court.

A modified "Loser Pays" law that states if the plaintiff cannot pay for the defendant's legal fees, then the plaintiff's lawyers have to pay. That will stop most frivolous lawsuits dead in their tracks

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

A modified "Loser Pays" law that states if the plaintiff cannot pay for the defendant's legal fees, then the plaintiff's lawyers have to pay. That will stop most frivolous lawsuits dead in their tracks
I like that idea.

Even more dynamic than losers pay.

And it trims not only the frivolous plaintiffs, but their supporters.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

I like that idea.

Even more dynamic than losers pay.

And it trims not only the frivolous plaintiffs, but their supporters.

I cannot say that I came up with it. I first heard this proposal back in the early 1990's in Texas. Can't remember who told me about it.