Author Topic: Tyndall AFB leveled by Hurricane Michael as most other installations avoid major damage  (Read 566 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

By COREY DICKSTEIN AND CAITLIN KENNEY | STARS AND STRIPES Published: October 11, 2018

WASHINGTON – Tyndall Air Force Base sustained “catastrophic’’ damage as Hurricane Michael struck the Florida installation head on, destroying buildings and potentially leaving the post vacant for weeks, Air Force officials said Thursday.

The Category 4 storm, the strongest to ever hit the Florida Panhandle, tore roofing from aircraft hangars and mangled buildings at Tyndall, located just outside Panama City, Fla., according to Air Force officials who reported “widespread catastrophic damage” primarily from winds that exceeded 150 mph.

Hurricane Michael, downgraded to a tropical storm Thursday as it raced into the Carolinas, was blamed for at least two deaths after it left a trail of devastation across north Florida and Georgia. Other military installations in its path seemed to have been spared major devastation, according to several defense officials.

“Team Tyndall, our base took a beating … by now you already know that Tyndall Air Force Base requires extensive cleanup and repairs,” Col. Brian Laidlaw, the 325th Fighter Wing’s commander, said in a message posted Thursday evening to the installation's Facebook page. “I will not recall you and your families until we can guarantee your safety. At this time I can’t tell you how long that will take, but I’m on it. I know this is important to you.”

more w/video
https://www.stripes.com/tyndall-afb-leveled-by-hurricane-michael-as-most-other-installations-avoid-major-damage-1.551072
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Had a cousin in the far west Panhandle that fortunately missed the brunt when it turned NE toward Georgia. We were worried for awhile.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I see some of the planes were still there...not many in the hangar that was damaged.  I hope they bugged most of them out.  The rest of the place reminded me of Homestead FL, after Andrew.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Here was Tyndall after the Micheal yesterday.  Pretty messed up.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I see some of the planes were still there...not many in the hangar that was damaged.  I hope they bugged most of them out.  The rest of the place reminded me of Homestead FL, after Andrew.

Those planes are just on display..not flyable

All planes were flown out in advance of the storm
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Those planes are just on display..not flyable

All planes were flown out in advance of the storm

Yep those were display planes.   But In my video you will see several fixed winged plane damaged in the hanger.  No Jets that I could see.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Yep those were display planes.   But In my video you will see several fixed winged plane damaged in the hanger.  No Jets that I could see.

Must have been a plane that was being worked on and left behind
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hurricane Michael may have damaged expensive F-22 fighter jets
by Travis J. Tritten
 | October 12, 2018 01:22 PM

Air Force F-22 Raptor fighter jets worth at least $143 million apiece may have been damaged in onslaught of Hurricane Michael on the Florida panhandle.

A squadron of the stealthy aircraft is based at Tyndall Air Force Base, which suffered catastrophic damage in the Category 4 storm on Wednesday. The Air Force confirmed Friday that not all of the aircraft at the base were evacuated beforehand.

"A number of aircraft were left behind in hangars due to maintenance or safety reasons, and all of those hangars are damaged,” Air Force spokeswoman Ann Stefanek said in a statement. “We anticipate the aircraft parked inside may be damaged as well, but we won't know the extent until our crews can safely enter those hangars and make an assessment.”

Some F-22s were among the aircraft in the hangars on the base, which was working to clear routes and assess the storm damage, Defense One reported. The Air Force did not immediately confirm the report.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/hurricane-michael-may-have-damaged-expensive-f-22-fighter-jets
Support the USO