Author Topic: The Worst Foods for Your Heart  (Read 965 times)

rangerrebew

The Worst Foods for Your Heart
« on: September 02, 2018, 02:07:08 pm »
The Worst Foods for Your Heart

By Susan McQuillan, MS, RDN, CDN
Reviewed by QualityHealth's Medical Advisory Board

The goals of heart-healthy eating include managing your weight, cholesterol levels, and blood pressure. But how do you do this? Health experts continue to fine-tune their recommendations, and here’s what the latest research reveals on fat, carbs, and the worst foods for your heart.

The Skinny on Fat

When fat was first identified as a villain in the development of heart disease, experts recommended that most people get no more than 30 percent, or about one-third, of their calories from fat. This figure was chosen as a reasonable goal for those whose diets contained much higher levels of fat. Soon it became clear, however, that the type of fat in a diet is just as if not more important than amount. With that discovery came the advice to limit or eliminate most saturated fats (when are usually solid at room temperature) from animal foods and trans fats from hydrogenated (hardened) vegetable oils in your diet.

https://www.qualityhealth.com/heart-articles/worst-foods-your-heart

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The Worst Foods for Your Heart
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 10:51:59 pm »
"Foods that contains trans fats from partially hydrogenated (hardened) oils.

Foods (and beverages) with added sugar. These include sodas, pastries, cakes, cookies, and candy.

Highly processed and refined foods. Many processed foods, especially bread products made with refined white flour, are high in calories and low in fiber.

Excess alcohol. That means no more than two drinks daily for most men and more than one drink for most women.

Red meat. If you do eat meat, choose lean cuts and use low-fat cooking methods.

Whole-milk dairy products. Instead, choose fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt and cheeses.

Salty foods, especially if you have high blood pressure. Limit sodium to between 1,500 and 2,400 mg daily."

Gee -- that's just about everything...

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 12:24:56 am »
"Foods that contains trans fats from partially hydrogenated (hardened) oils.

Foods (and beverages) with added sugar. These include sodas, pastries, cakes, cookies, and candy.

Highly processed and refined foods. Many processed foods, especially bread products made with refined white flour, are high in calories and low in fiber.

Excess alcohol. That means no more than two drinks daily for most men and more than one drink for most women.

Red meat. If you do eat meat, choose lean cuts and use low-fat cooking methods.

Whole-milk dairy products. Instead, choose fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt and cheeses.

Salty foods, especially if you have high blood pressure. Limit sodium to between 1,500 and 2,400 mg daily."

Gee -- that's just about everything...

Yup!  I followed all the guidelines. Ate oatmeal w/ cinnamon for over 10 years, every day. Ate cruciferous vegetables and fresh fruit, my whole life.  Stopped frying, low red meat,  bla bla bla.  Still had heart attack. More about genetics, then anything.
I never smoked,  I did exercise, never did illegal drugs, led a wholesome life.  I was told one out of three woman get heart attack, and one man out of two.  I think, our veins are just like plumbing, after years of use, it gets filled up with "crap'.

More about genetics, than anything.

Genetics.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 02:44:06 am »
As usual, moderation.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 03:27:59 am »
If eating bacon is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 04:04:21 am »

I agree.  Once a year I eat bacon, and get my fill.  It is said, as long as someone eats healthfully 80% of the time, you are good.  I do an old world, potato dumpling, thing with bacon.  Very similar to Italian carbonara . Only they use pasta, not potato dumplings.  Sauce is very similar. Funny, how that works.  I hope, I have the name correct. The sauce is bacon fat, minced, browned, onions,  then buttermilk, and about 3 or four eggs,  mixed it, till it thickens. Poured over potato dumplings, then crisp, bacon pieces , over the top.  I like it the next day, as you can fry it, till potatoes are crisp.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 04:06:14 am »

I agree.  Once a year I eat bacon, and get my fill.

That admission right there explains a whole hell of a lot.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 04:17:30 am »
That admission right there explains a whole hell of a lot.

Explains what?  ONCE A YEAR.  Just trying to be nasty?  Your genetics?  One man, out of TWO, will have a heart attack. Let's see, if you beat the odds.  Not very good.  TA.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 11:52:49 am »
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 12:01:05 pm »
I don’t eat bread anymore, I’m allowed one piece a month by my dietician, and it has to be wheat or whole grain.

No salt. No sugar. I do cheat, and use sugar substitute in coffee. If I eat sugar, on the second bite I’ll get really sick.

No red meat, I can’t handle that. Mostly fish now.

Bacon is turkey bacon, turkey sausage.

Yeah, I miss a lot of food. I haven’t had Italian or soda. Or pastries in two years. But I feel healthier.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 12:36:36 pm »

I found a pretty good fakin bacon at Wallyworld... I'll give you the brand when next I go...

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 01:02:24 pm »
@roamer_1

I’ve tried tofu bacon. That wasn’t too tasty, but I guess, like anything you could get use to it.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 01:40:12 pm »
@roamer_1

I’ve tried tofu bacon. That wasn’t too tasty, but I guess, like anything you could get use to it.

@Freya
Naw... this is turkey bacon - but the best simulation I have found. Sorry, I think this is it, though I am going by package color and design... I am out of it right now, and I know it by sight and location at wallyworld

It is thick cut, so it can fry up crisp and still be chewy, which for me was the hard part to replace, more than the taste... That odd crisp and chewy thing is a signature bacon feature... That's the difference. most of the turkey bacon, by the time it is crisp, it is dry and crunchy...

Offline Applewood

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 02:45:02 pm »
I don’t eat bread anymore, I’m allowed one piece a month by my dietician, and it has to be wheat or whole grain.

No salt. No sugar. I do cheat, and use sugar substitute in coffee. If I eat sugar, on the second bite I’ll get really sick.

No red meat, I can’t handle that. Mostly fish now.

Yeah, I miss a lot of food. I haven’t had Italian or soda. Or pastries in two years. But I feel healthier.

Over the last several years, I've had to alter my diet considerably because of health issues and because I got too fat.  More recently, I developed gout.  If I want to stay pain-free (trust me, gout IS painful), I have had to give up beef, pork, shellfish and certain other fish, game (and turkey, believe it or not, is considered game meat) and have had to reduce my intake of other foods such as cheese.  So I'm stuck with chicken, the few seafood varieties that are allowed, and "fake" burgers, sausage and such. 

Have to say I really do miss bacon and I yearn for a good steak.  But if I want to avoid the pain, I have to grow up, stop whining and adjust.   Life goes on and who knows -- like you, this might be healthier -- a blessing in disguise.