Author Topic: USA Today finds the reason for the USA have the highest maternal death rate among developed countrie  (Read 1048 times)

Offline endicom

Next Big Future
Brian Wang
July 28, 2018

The US has highest maternal death rate in the developed world. Many US hospitals are not following the best practices for the delivery of babies.

Thousands of women suffer life-altering injuries or die during childbirth because US hospitals and medical workers skip safety practices that are known to prevent problems. Doctors and nurses should be weighing bloody pads to track blood loss so they recognize danger sooner. They should be giving medication within an hour of spotting dangerously high blood pressure to fend off strokes.

More... https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/07/usa-today-finds-the-reason-for-the-usa-have-the-highest-maternal-death-rate-among-developed-countries.html

rangerrebew

Why Is US The Most Dangerous Developed Nation To Give Birth In?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 12:50:23 pm »
Why Is US The Most Dangerous Developed Nation To Give Birth In?
Jul 27, 2018 07:54 AM By Medical Daily Staff

A new investigation titled "Deadly Deliveries" has found the United States is the most dangerous place to give birth in the developed world.

Led by USA Today, the investigation shed light on preventable maternal deaths and injuries that occurred due to poor practices in hospitals.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/why-us-most-dangerous-developed-nation-give-birth-426552

Offline endicom

Offline goodwithagun

Aren’t we the most medicated country? Maybe all those birth control pills, antidepressants, and ADD meds aren’t that great for us.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I don't believe this story.  I don't reject it either; I just don't believe it.  Need something more than a story from USA Today.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I don't believe this story.  I don't reject it either; I just don't believe it.  Need something more than a story from USA Today.

You mean like adding some facts and be written by someone who can write logically?  The MacPaper hasn't changed in 25 years.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 01:33:50 pm by The Ghost »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
This is a study by a reporter, not by a heath organization.

In a four-year-long investigation led by reporter Alison Young

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Has the Highest Maternal Mortality Rate in the Developed World. Why?
by Elizabeth Chuck / Aug.12.2017 / 4:56 AM ET

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-has-highest-maternal-mortality-rate-developed-world-why-n791671

Texas' maternal mortality rates are 35.8 per 100,000 live births as of 2014, according to a study in Obstetrics and Gynecology. By comparison, the maternal mortality in Japan was 5 per 100,000 live births, according to UNICEF's 2015 data. In Poland, it was just 3.

Health officials are puzzled as to why the statistics are so high in Texas. A state task force has identified some of the reasons why the state is failing its new mothers, but says more research is needed.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
You mean like adding some facts and be written by someone who can write logically?  The MacPaper hasn't changed in 25 years.

No, it has not.  If it was somebody else conducting the research I might be more inclined to believe it (while there are good points in the story about how to improve medical procedures).  Somebody who hasn't been spending the past 35 years or so beating the drum for Socialized Medicine and other leftist causes.  USA Today has been a liberal snot-rag since they first started churning out fishwrap in the early 80's.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Victoria33

"Doctors and nurses should be weighing bloody pads to track blood loss so they recognize danger sooner."
@endicom
@rangerrebew

I was in the hospital after delivering my baby.  I was pretty much knocked out but began to have serious pain in waves in my abdomen.  I finally pushed the nurse button.  They didn't know why I was having these pains.  They got the doctor to the hospital and he was in my room when I felt like I was giving birth again.  Now, I'm reporting this only because I found out later what happened.  I had passed an enormous blood clot with bleeding blood along with it.  I found out later, the doc examined me and stayed at the hospital all night, checking that the bleeding had stopped.  It was felt the size of the baby had caused this to happen.  The baby weighed 9 lbs, 2 ounces.  I weighted 110 lbs. before becoming pregnant. The point is, this doc was on top of this bleeding , not leaving me before he was sure the bleeding had stopped.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 02:17:20 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
OB's are being driven out of the practice by Malpractice suits
Countdown to Resignation

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://journals.lww.com/greenjournal/fulltext/2016/09000/Recent_Increases_in_the_U_S__Maternal_Mortality.6.aspx

Recent Increases in the U.S. Maternal Mortality Rate: Disentangling Trends From Measurement Issues

MacDorman, Marian F. PhD; Declercq, Eugene PhD; Cabral, Howard PhD; Morton, Christine PhD
Obstetrics & Gynecology: September 2016 - Volume 128 - Issue 3 - p 447–455
doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000001556
Contents: Original Research

OBJECTIVE: To develop methods for trend analysis of vital statistics maternal mortality data, taking into account changes in pregnancy question formats over time and between states, and to provide an overview of U.S. maternal mortality trends from 2000 to 2014.

METHODS: This observational study analyzed vital statistics maternal mortality data from all U.S. states in relation to the format and year of adoption of the pregnancy question. Correction factors were developed to adjust data from before the standard pregnancy question was adopted to promote accurate trend analysis. Joinpoint regression was used to analyze trends for groups of states with similar pregnancy questions.

RESULTS: The estimated maternal mortality rate (per 100,000 live births) for 48 states and Washington, DC (excluding California and Texas, analyzed separately) increased by 26.6%, from 18.8 in 2000 to 23.8 in 2014. California showed a declining trend, whereas Texas had a sudden increase in 2011–2012. Analysis of the measurement change suggests that U.S. rates in the early 2000s were higher than previously reported.

CONCLUSION: Despite the United Nations Millennium Development Goal for a 75% reduction in maternal mortality by 2015, the estimated maternal mortality rate for 48 states and Washington, DC, increased from 2000 to 2014; the international trend was in the opposite direction. There is a need to redouble efforts to prevent maternal deaths and improve maternity care for the 4 million U.S. women giving birth each year.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
No, it has not.  If it was somebody else conducting the research I might be more inclined to believe it (while there are good points in the story about how to improve medical procedures).  Somebody who hasn't been spending the past 35 years or so beating the drum for Socialized Medicine and other leftist causes.  USA Today has been a liberal snot-rag since they first started churning out fishwrap in the early 80's.

Truth! 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Agreed, and the time period correlates with massively increased third-world immigration.