Author Topic: Is Sleeping with a Fan On Actually Bad for Your Health?  (Read 1127 times)

rangerrebew

Is Sleeping with a Fan On Actually Bad for Your Health?
« on: July 28, 2018, 02:47:24 pm »
Is Sleeping with a Fan On Actually Bad for Your Health?
By Rachael Rettner, Senior Writer | July 27, 2018 07:20am ET

Scorching summer days can be tough without air conditioning, and you might find yourself searching for ways to stay cool, including using a fan at night. But is it healthy to sleep with a fan on?

Some recent headlines have made sleeping with a fan on sound downright dangerous. "Why Sleeping with Your Fan on Could Be Seriously Damaging Your Health," read one recent headline from the Mirror. "Sleeping with a Bedside Fan Could Pose Health Risks," read another, from LifeZette.

https://www.livescience.com/63179-sleeping-fan-health.html

Online roamer_1

Re: Is Sleeping with a Fan On Actually Bad for Your Health?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 02:56:01 pm »
These folks have never been in the mountains.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 03:11:16 pm »

Or in Texas in the summer.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 03:23:38 pm »

I use fans in my house to move air, of course, and for white sound... but more or less, that just mimics the forest. The mountains always always have a breeze at night, and the wind in the trees is probably louder than your average fan... I can't sleep in dead air. Not just a lack of breeze, which I am accustomed to, but also the sound.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 03:28:35 pm »
I use fans in my house to move air, of course, and for white sound... but more or less, that just mimics the forest. The mountains always always have a breeze at night, and the wind in the trees is probably louder than your average fan... I can't sleep in dead air. Not just a lack of breeze, which I am accustomed to, but also the sound.

Agreed.  I can't sleep in dead, stagnant, humid air.  But all of my rooms, including the kitchen have a ceiling fan.  Standard equipment here.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 03:38:01 pm »
Agreed.  I can't sleep in dead, stagnant, humid air.  But all of my rooms, including the kitchen have a ceiling fan.  Standard equipment here.

:amen:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 04:58:55 pm »

Or had hot monkey sex. 

Fans are a must.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 05:17:38 pm »
Or had hot monkey sex. 

Fans are a must.

Ever see a filthy ceiling fan blade?  Built-up kitchen smoke and grease turns them into sticky fly strips...catching soot built up over years.

Yes...some people live like that. 

...same thing with dirty 'cold air return' grates.

If you pointed it out to them, they'd clean it.   Along with the rest of the room after they're done with you.   LOL

It's really 'invisible' in their minds.  They never notice it.   

So...that would support the theory that fans are kicking up dust and dander and there you are.   Sleeping...er, excuse me, having monkey sex.     :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 05:18:33 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 05:23:34 pm »

Or in the rice delta of rural Andrha Pradesh, India in the slums with no electricity when the temperature never falls below 90 degrees between February and July.

That battery-operated camp fan was a life saver, and the only way I could sleep at all.  Even though I still woke up in a pool of sweat each morning.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 05:43:15 pm »
Or in the rice delta of rural Andrha Pradesh, India in the slums with no electricity when the temperature never falls below 90 degrees between February and July.

That battery-operated camp fan was a life saver, and the only way I could sleep at all.  Even though I still woke up in a pool of sweat each morning.

That is the main reason why, good Lord willing, I will never leave my mountain home... Last night was in the low 50's and I slept wrapped up in a wool blanket.

Cold nights and clear water. Why would I ever leave?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 05:46:56 pm »
We, living in wonderful temperate Ohio........ arguably the best overall climate in the world  ^-^...... use a simple box fan year round.

It works as white noise and moves the air around for more comfortable sleeping.

When I'm away and don't have it I can have trouble sleeping.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 05:51:24 pm »

Or California, Arizona.

Most Days With Highest Temperature
Death Valley, California
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
McAllen, Texas
Coolidge, Arizona
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 07:00:06 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 06:17:17 pm »
That is the main reason why, good Lord willing, I will never leave my mountain home... Last night was in the low 50's and I slept wrapped up in a wool blanket.

Cold nights and clear water. Why would I ever leave?

Depends if you get called to go and do mission work in places you don't want to go.

Being dragged almost kicking and screaming in protest to go and do what God wants you to do is not an exercise I recommend.  God usually wins such wrestling matches and I had to go put my comfort level away and endure what I did not want to endure.

Such is our calling at times.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 06:28:37 pm »
Depends if you get called to go and do mission work in places you don't want to go.

Being dragged almost kicking and screaming in protest to go and do what God wants you to do is not an exercise I recommend.  God usually wins such wrestling matches and I had to go put my comfort level away and endure what I did not want to endure.

Such is our calling at times.

My pastor, Reverend Little Ed Pembrook's, founder of The Church of the Mighty Struggle, said if I bought his John the Baptist shower curtains, the Peter, Paul and Virgin Mary spice racks and a set of Dead Sea Scroll steak knives (all for the low price of 6 easy payments of $39.99 plus shipping and handling and a small service charge) I could forgo the missionary work.  He has the devil in a Bulgarian headlock.  So I believed him.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2018, 06:50:02 pm »
So I believed him.

Sadly, so do a huge number of Christians.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2018, 07:04:49 pm »
I have whole house air conditioning, but the second floor often gets stifling in the summer, even with the air on.  I have this old box fan from the 1970s  -- does a great job of circulating the air. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2018, 07:44:13 pm »
My wife and I have never lived in houses with AC. We have lived within one mile of the Pacific ocean for 48 years (considered widely to be the most moderate comfortable year round climate).

We therefore use windows, fans, clothing, mostly.

Now. 1 PM. 78 F and 74% humid. overcast, aka Gray May, June gloom, and mostly welcome since it keeps it more cool.

It is 106 F at Lake Havasu AZ.

It is 90 F at Murrieta CA home for my brother, and brother in law and families.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:11:16 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln