Author Topic: Native Americans managed the prairie for better bison hunts  (Read 975 times)

rangerrebew

Native Americans managed the prairie for better bison hunts
Hunter-gatherer societies may have a bigger ecological impact than we thought.

Kiona N. Smith - 7/25/2018, 10:56 AM

Layers of charcoal residue buried beneath the northern Montana prairie show that pre-Columbian indigenous hunters on the Great Plains once burned patches of grassland to stimulate new growth. This created a tempting feast for bison herds, which the hunters then used to lure the bison in for the kill. And that, archaeologists say, means that even relatively small, mobile groups of hunter-gatherers can have a bigger environmental impact than they’ve been given credit for.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/07/native-americans-managed-the-prairie-for-better-bison-hunts/

Offline the_doc

Re: Native Americans managed the prairie for better bison hunts
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 06:58:49 pm »
Native Americans managed the prairie for better bison hunts
Hunter-gatherer societies may have a bigger ecological impact than we thought.

Kiona N. Smith - 7/25/2018, 10:56 AM

Layers of charcoal residue buried beneath the northern Montana prairie show that pre-Columbian indigenous hunters on the Great Plains once burned patches of grassland to stimulate new growth. This created a tempting feast for bison herds, which the hunters then used to lure the bison in for the kill. And that, archaeologists say, means that even relatively small, mobile groups of hunter-gatherers can have a bigger environmental impact than they’ve been given credit for.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/07/native-americans-managed-the-prairie-for-better-bison-hunts/

Pardon my skepticism regarding these detailed conclusions from pre-Columbian patches of burned grassland.  (I'm pretty sure the Indians burned vegetation just to make tasty char for gourmet-quality bison ribeye stakes.)

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 07:11:16 pm »
Pardon my skepticism regarding these detailed conclusions from pre-Columbian patches of burned grassland.  (I'm pretty sure the Indians burned vegetation just to make tasty char for gourmet-quality bison ribeye stakes.)

Not to mention grass fires started by lightning happens often.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 02:31:35 am »
Not to mention grass fires started by lightning happens often.

Lightning strikes did not occur at the frequency we see today, due to global warming.

:thud:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.