Author Topic: 2.5 Billion Pounds of Meat Piles Up in U.S. as Production Grows, Exports Slow  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Hoodat

2.5 Billion Pounds of Meat Piles Up in U.S. as Production Grows, Exports Slow

By Jacob Bunge     |     July 22, 2018 10:00 a.m. ET

Meat is piling up in U.S. cold-storage warehouses, fueled by a surge in supplies and trade disputes that are eroding demand.

Federal data, coming as early as Monday, are expected to show a record level of beef, pork, poultry and turkey being stockpiled in U.S. facilities, rising above 2.5 billion pounds, agricultural analysts said.

U.S. consumers’ appetite for meat is growing, but not fast enough to keep up with record production of hogs and chickens. That leaves the U.S. meat industry increasingly reliant on exports, but Mexico and China—among the largest foreign buyers of U.S. meat—have both set tariffs on U.S. pork products in response to U.S. tariffs on steel, aluminum and other goods. U.S. hams, chops and livers have become sharply more expensive in those markets, which is starting to slow sales, industry officials said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/meat-piles-up-as-production-grows-and-exports-slow-1532268000

Retaliatory tariffs are causing a decrease in exports?  Oh my!  If only someone could have predicted beforehand that this would happen.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
2.5 Billion Pounds of Meat Piles Up in U.S. as Production Grows, Exports Slow

By Jacob Bunge     |     July 22, 2018 10:00 a.m. ET

Meat is piling up in U.S. cold-storage warehouses, fueled by a surge in supplies and trade disputes that are eroding demand.

Retaliatory tariffs are causing a decrease in exports?  Oh my!  If only someone could have predicted beforehand that this would happen.

You mean I might be able to buy steak for under $8/lb?  Yeah that sucks.  /s
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

I was hoping brisket prices would drop....

Offline the_doc

I wonder how delicious the proverbial six-dollar hamburger would taste if made from a half-pound or so of ground-up USDA PRIME TENDERLOIN FILETS, already wonderfully DRY-AGED (having spent extra time in the stockpile).

Maybe the Wagyu beef guys could put this sort of product out on the market for us.  That little merchandizing experiment could fix the reported problem that although America's appetite for me is growing, it's not growing fast enough.

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
I wonder how delicious the proverbial six-dollar hamburger would taste if made from a half-pound or so of ground-up USDA PRIME TENDERLOIN FILETS, already wonderfully DRY-AGED (having spent extra time in the stockpile).

Maybe the Wagyu beef guys could put this sort of product out on the market for us.  That little merchandizing experiment could fix the reported problem that although America's appetite for me is growing, it's not growing fast enough.

And OTOH....  how better to win a trade war when you opponents have to pay twice the price for meat?  And for other food items for that matter.

Kind of wonder did they think this thing through.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline the_doc

I was hoping brisket prices would drop....

That would freak out a lot of meat purveyors in California.  Californians would quit grilling tri-tip and calling it barbecue.  California's butchers would have to figure out what to do with the sudden tri-tip surplus.

(All kidding aside, several years ago a Texas butcher said to me "Do we have any tri-tip roasts?  No, that's the stuff they try to barbecue in California.  We have no demand at all for tri-tip, so we grind it up and work it off into our various grades of hamburger meat.")
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:18:01 pm by the_doc »

Offline GrouchoTex

Funny, that my Brother-in-Law tried to find a Brisket in Colorado and was told the same thing, ground up for hamburger.
Well, I hope it all finds a market.
I had been told that the biggest losers in a tariff war would be farmers and ranchers.
I am all for the price dropping here, though.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

To think...the entire filet tenderloin for $40?   :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Must be the bird flu, porcine diarrhea and drop that drove meat prices up over the past few years have finally let up.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Funny, that my Brother-in-Law tried to find a Brisket in Colorado and was told the same thing, ground up for hamburger.
Well, I hope it all finds a market.
I had been told that the biggest losers in a tariff war would be farmers and ranchers.
I am all for the price dropping here, though.

I think we need to have a lot of cooking shows prepared ASAP grilling meat.  Then  export those  to our trading partners. 

Bring them to their knees

Offline GrouchoTex

I think we need to have a lot of cooking shows prepared ASAP grilling meat.  Then  export those  to our trading partners. 

Bring them to their knees

LOL, yep, that would be funny.

Offline roamer_1

EIGHT BUCKS a pound? Really?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Title:
"2.5 Billion Pounds of Meat Piles Up in U.S. as Production Grows, Exports Slow"

Lower domestic prices -- drastically, if need be.
The surpluses will sell off quickly.

Isn't that how "supply and demand" is supposed to work?

Offline roamer_1

Title:
"2.5 Billion Pounds of Meat Piles Up in U.S. as Production Grows, Exports Slow"

Lower domestic prices -- drastically, if need be.
The surpluses will sell off quickly.

Isn't that how "supply and demand" is supposed to work?

And what does that do to the rancher, who bought the cow high, fed it for two years, expecting a return?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
And what does that do to the rancher, who bought the cow high, fed it for two years, expecting a return?

The same thing that happens to the unlucky home buyer at the start of a housing crash.   :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline RoosGirl

EIGHT BUCKS a pound? Really?

That's cheap for beef for the more popular cuts.  Choice ribeye here runs about $11/lb and even skirt steak, which has become en vogue, is that much.

Offline roamer_1

That's cheap for beef for the more popular cuts.  Choice ribeye here runs about $11/lb and even skirt steak, which has become en vogue, is that much.

Holy crap! Guess I'll keep rollin my own...  :shrug:

Offline Suppressed

The same thing that happens to the unlucky home buyer at the start of a housing crash.   :shrug:

New slogan for 2020....

"Trump: he's like a housing crash!"
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roamer_1

New slogan for 2020....

"Trump: he's like a housing crash!"

Ain't it great? The whole West tips over, but back east gets cheap meat for a minute or two.
Nothing like a manufactured crisis to pick winners, eh?

Offline Suppressed

Ain't it great? The whole West tips over, but back east gets cheap meat for a minute or two.
Nothing like a manufactured crisis to pick winners, eh?

Makes up a bit for the east-coast-subsidized public grazing land, I guess. :shrug:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline roamer_1

Makes up a bit for the east-coast-subsidized public grazing land, I guess. :shrug:

There is no 'subsidized public grazing'. There is Range.

Offline Suppressed

There is no 'subsidized public grazing'. There is Range.

Leased at far below the market rate.  Compare private and public rates, and the costs to the federal government to administer these lands, and you see the subsidy.

https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/rangelands-and-grazing/livestock-grazing

LIVESTOCK GRAZING ON PUBLIC LANDS

[...]

In Fiscal Year 2015, the BLM was allocated $79 million for its rangeland management program.  Of that figure, the agency spent $36.2 million, or 46 percent, on livestock grazing administration.  The other funds covered such activities as weed management, rangeland monitoring, planning, water development, vegetation restoration, and habitat improvement.  In 2015, the BLM collected $14.5 million in grazing fees.  The receipts from these annual fees, in accordance with legislative requirements, are shared with state and local governments.

Yeah, for every dollar collected in fees, $2.50 is spent...with taxpayers making up that ridiculous subsidy.   Market value is far higher than what ranchers are charged.  See https://journals.uair.arizona.edu/index.php/jrm/article/viewFile/9843/9455 (Torell, L. A., N. R. Rimbey, L. W. Van Tassell, J. A. Tanaka, and E. T. Bartlett. 2003. "An evaluation of the federal grazing fee formula." J. Range. Manage. 56: 577-584.)

Check out the vertical axes on this graph (from 2003...it's only gotten worse since then!):

While private land goes up, public land fees barely budge.  Heck, in 2017, the fee was $1.87 per AUM (Animal Unit Month), and then in 2018 it's down to $1.41/AUM.

And yes, only Western states get this subsidy.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:25:11 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++

Offline roamer_1

Leased at far below the market rate.  Compare private and public rates, and the costs to the federal government to administer these lands, and you see the subsidy.

Those lands would do nothing but lie fallow otherwise. And no one else is going to use it. You and the bunny-huggers seem to be the only ones who have a problem with it.

Hey, I got an idea, Howabout the feds give the land back to the states as the Constitution demands? Then Montana can deal with its open range as it sees fit. And you can stop thinking it is any of your business.

Offline montanajoe

Those lands would do nothing but lie fallow otherwise. And no one else is going to use it. You and the bunny-huggers seem to be the only ones who have a problem with it.

Hey, I got an idea, Howabout the feds give the land back to the states as the Constitution demands? Then Montana can deal with its open range as it sees fit.....

Yep... :beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It gives that rancher an expensive lesson he should have learned in middle school: BUY LOW, SELL HIGH!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024