Author Topic: Why Are We Doing This? A Trove Of New Research Documents The Folly Of Renewable Energy Promotion  (Read 728 times)

rangerrebew

Why Are We Doing This? A Trove Of New Research Documents The Folly Of Renewable Energy Promotion

By Kenneth Richard on 9. July 2018

The advocacy for widespread growth in renewable energy (especially wind, solar, and biomass) usage has increasingly become the clarion call of the anthropogenic global warming (AGW) movement.  And yet more and more published research documents the adverse effects of relying on renewables.

Image: Wasili Karbe, cropped from video here.

Over the course of the last year, at least 30 papers have been published in the peer-reviewed scientific literature detailing the fatuity of promoting renewable energy as a long-term “fix” for climate change mitigation.  A categorized list of these papers is provided below.

http://notrickszone.com/2018/07/09/why-are-we-doing-this-a-trove-of-new-research-documents-the-folly-of-renewable-energy-promotion/

Offline Joe Wooten

What are the "fossil fuel subsidies" these papers speak of? I do not know of any direct monetary supports the governments at any level gives the oil/gas companies.

Offline Suppressed

What are the "fossil fuel subsidies" these papers speak of? I do not know of any direct monetary supports the governments at any level gives the oil/gas companies.

https://www.oecd.org/site/tadffss/publication/United%20States%20Self%20review%20USA%20FFSR%20Self-Report%202015%20FINAL.pdf
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

https://www.oecd.org/site/tadffss/publication/United%20States%20Self%20review%20USA%20FFSR%20Self-Report%202015%20FINAL.pdf
When I scan this list, none of these meet what the poster said are 'direct monetary supports the governments at any level gives the oil/gas companies'.

Your reference is a document that is a global world-order spreading nonsense in environmental policies particularly under the UN.  As such, it cannot be trusted.

I believe the poster was referring to loans or grants given oil/gas companies similar to the billions given to subsidiize solar, ethanol, wind, etc.

Do you have a comparable document detailing those?  Here's what I found

Most current federal subsidies support developing renewable energy supplies (primarily biofuels, wind, and solar) and reducing energy consumption through energy efficiency. In FY 2016, nearly half (45%) of federal energy subsidies were associated with renewable energy, and 42% were associated with energy end uses. Table 4 shows a more detailed distribution of renewable energy-related federal support.

https://www.eia.gov/analysis/requests/subsidy/pdf/subsidy.pdf

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Government subsides to renewable energy projects is just one of the many ways democrats use to siphon public money into their campaign coffers.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Suppressed

When I scan this list, none of these meet what the poster said are 'direct monetary supports the governments at any level gives the oil/gas companies'.

Your reference is a document that is a global world-order spreading nonsense in environmental policies particularly under the UN.  As such, it cannot be trusted.

I believe the poster was referring to loans or grants given oil/gas companies similar to the billions given to subsidiize solar, ethanol, wind, etc.

Do you have a comparable document detailing those?  Here's what I found

Most current federal subsidies support developing renewable energy supplies (primarily biofuels, wind, and solar) and reducing energy consumption through energy efficiency. In FY 2016, nearly half (45%) of federal energy subsidies were associated with renewable energy, and 42% were associated with energy end uses. Table 4 shows a more detailed distribution of renewable energy-related federal support.

https://www.eia.gov/analysis/requests/subsidy/pdf/subsidy.pdf

Using a bit of Al Gore math, eh? 
Tax credits and other subsidies are subsidies, regardless of how you or Algore want to do accounting.

The poster to whom I was responding, @Joe Wooten, asked: "What are the "fossil fuel subsidies" these papers speak of?" and I provided a source discussing that.

As to his statement, "I do not know of any direct monetary supports the governments at any level gives the oil/gas companies," your source lays those out in Table 3.  Back in 2013, nearly half a billion dollars was given out in direct subsidies between coal, natural gas, and petroleum.  It has dropped to $130 million for 2016, and is dwarfed by what renewables used to get and the $909 million of 2016, but that wasn't the question asked.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Joe Wooten

Using a bit of Al Gore math, eh? 
Tax credits and other subsidies are subsidies, regardless of how you or Algore want to do accounting.

The poster to whom I was responding, @Joe Wooten, asked: "What are the "fossil fuel subsidies" these papers speak of?" and I provided a source discussing that.

As to his statement, "I do not know of any direct monetary supports the governments at any level gives the oil/gas companies," your source lays those out in Table 3.  Back in 2013, nearly half a billion dollars was given out in direct subsidies between coal, natural gas, and petroleum.  It has dropped to $130 million for 2016, and is dwarfed by what renewables used to get and the $909 million of 2016, but that wasn't the question asked.

In accepting these as "subsidies" you are accepting the communazi viewpoint that ALL money belongs to the government. You are accepting that a lower tax rate for anything is a subsidy. I do not accept this viewpoint. The money they earn is NOT the government's money, and any rule that allows them to keep more of the money they earn is not a subsidy. A subsidy is a grant of tax money to someone, not a tax break.

The last item on the document you referenced is not a subsidy to the oil/coal companies. It is a subsidy to the "poor folks" to help them pay for their electricity and heating bills. The benefit of this to the fossil fuel industry is practically zero. That one could disappear tomorrow and it would not even make a minor blip on the balance sheets of the oil/gas/coal companies.

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
the Fairtax would end ALL of this BS on day one! 

http://fairtax.org
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien