Author Topic: Ted Cruz seizes on Beto O’Rourke’s willingness to consider abolishing ICE  (Read 1490 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle 7/6/2018 By Jeremy Wallace

Democrat Beto O’Rourke’s nuanced position on abolishing the federal agency responsible for enforcing immigration laws has opened a new line of attack from U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz as the two rivals continue to travel the state in advance of the fall Senate election.

O’Rourke has stopped short of calling for the elimination of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency as some Democrats have done recently, but his stance on the topic has produced enough gray area for Cruz to seize on the issue as a key dividing line between the two men who are battling in one of the most high profile mid-term elections in the nation.

“I’ve been the leading defender in the Senate of securing the border, building the wall, of keeping this country safe and stopping illegal immigration,” Cruz said in Longview in northeast Texas as part of an 11-city tour through the state this week. “In contrast, my opponent Democrat Beto O’Rourke supports sanctuary cities, supports open borders, and just this week he said he was ‘open to abolishing ICE.”

Cruz called eliminating ICE “radical” and “nuts.”

As he left a town hall in Hillsboro, about 160 miles away from where Cruz made his comments 18 hours earlier, O’Rourke said he does not want to eliminate ICE. He said the point he’s been making on the road is that it doesn’t matter if agencies like ICE and Homeland Security are eliminated if it is not addressing the practices in those agencies. He said that’s what he and others are seeking to change in light of the family separations that have occurred on the border. He said he’s willing to discuss eliminating ICE, but that alone will not solve the problem.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas/article/Ted-Cruz-seizes-on-Beto-O-Rourke-s-13055049.php

Offline Victoria33

Cruz said these things in Longview, which is deep east Texas.  I grew up a few miles from there and it was our town to buy what we needed back then.  When I see something about Longview, I read it which is why I am posting now.  Last year, Beto O’Rourke went to Longivew and pounded on Cruz, so O'Rourke was and is, trying to get east Texas in his corner.  East Texas is gun country and good ole boys.  It is Gregg County and the county seat is Longview.  I will check Gregg county after the November election to see if O'Rourke made any impression in Gregg County.

Offline goodwithagun

I’m okay with abolishing ICE if we also abolish WIC, SNAP, AND SSI. Eliminate them right now and instead of pushing it’s funding elsewhere, return every penny back to those who paid taxes to support them.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I haven’t been following up on Texas politics but is there a serious chance Sen Cruz can loose his seat?

888cryingkitty
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I haven’t been following up on Texas politics but is there a serious chance Sen Cruz can loose his seat?

888cryingkitty

@Freya

Nope!  none at all!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Freya

Nope!  none at all!

Hurray!

I sent him a letter asking him if he was going to the Princeton university reunion I wanted to buy him and his wife a drink at the Nassau Inn/Yankee Doodle Tap Room but he never got back to me.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:39:00 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

A rookie mistake by Beto as even blacks and Hispanics disagree with him. 

Texas poll results:
Voters say 73 - 25 percent that undocumented immigrants illegally crossing the border with Mexico is an important problem, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University Poll finds. Black, white and Hispanic voters all agree this is an important problem.

https://poll.qu.edu/texas/release-detail?ReleaseID=2537
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
abolishing ice in the middle of Texas summer? Not a good position.

Offline thackney

888cryingkitty

No, but Ted Cruz gets national attention.  So if it gets talked up, national money get sent to O'rourke, helping real contested race.  Look what happened with Abortion Barbie Davis.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ABX

888cryingkitty

On paper no. But one should always fight these battles like you are 20 points down. Don't take any thing for granted. Especially in politics where things can change on a dime. Remember we were the State of Ann Richards and our favorite son is Willie Nelson. One side pulling amazing turn out or the other side not being motivated to vote can change things. Especially in a non presidential election year where our biggest race, governor, is pretty much a lock. Right now, Francis is going door to door, neighborhood to neighborhood, working the old fashioned way and has a good grassroots game. Cruz was in town the other day and I didn't even find out about it until a day later. It was a small meet and greet event for donors, not grassroots canvasing.

Offline ABX

One other thing is Texas no longer has party line voting, I don't know yet how that may play out, but it means you can no longer just check the R at top and it selects all the Republicans. As of the next election you have to select candidate by candidate. That may be an advantage for Cruz as he has national name recognition but it is hard to predict right now.

Offline GrouchoTex

LOL, how will we keep the long necks cold?

Offline Frank Cannon

Yeah. It's more of a winter time activity.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
One other thing is Texas no longer has party line voting, I don't know yet how that may play out, but it means you can no longer just check the R at top and it selects all the Republicans. As of the next election you have to select candidate by candidate. That may be an advantage for Cruz as he has national name recognition but it is hard to predict right now.

I think this coming election may be the last party line vote. 

Offline thackney

I think this coming election may be the last party line vote.

Correct.  Gov. Abbott signs bill to eliminate straight-ticket voting beginning in 2020

2020 is the first year without straight-ticket voting.
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/06/01/texas-gov-greg-abbott-signs-bill-eliminate-straight-ticket-voting/
 JUNE 1, 2017
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Night Hides Not

Not enough ice for...

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Night Hides Not

888cryingkitty

No one from El Paso has ever won a state wide election...Beto will not make history IMO.

Nobody outside of El Paso gives a flying leap about anything from West Texas. I lived there 15 years, love the place, but it's forgotten about by the rest of the state.

During the primary, Ted Cruz received more votes than the combined vote of the Democrats, and IIRC, it wasn't that close. In the 2016 primary, he won all but four counties in Texas. The 4 that Trump won all had less than 100 votes cast.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

888cryingkitty
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington