Author Topic: Exploring an undisturbed rainforest hidden on top of an African mountain  (Read 584 times)

rangerrebew

Exploring an undisturbed rainforest hidden on top of an African mountain
June 29, 2018 by Simon Willcock And Phil Platts, The Conversation

Atop Mount Lico in northern Mozambique is a site that few have had the pleasure of seeing – a hidden rainforest, protected by a steep circle of rock. Though the mountain was known to locals, the forest itself remained a secret until six years ago, when Professor Julian Bayliss spotted it on satellite imagery. It wasn't until last year, however, that he revealed his discovery, at the Oxford Nature Festival.

We recently visited the 700 metre-high mountaintop rainforest in an expedition organised by Bayliss, in collaboration with Mozambique's Natural History Museum and National Herbarium. As far as anyone knew (including the locals), we would be the first people to set foot there (spoiler: we weren't).

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2018-06-exploring-undisturbed-rainforest-hidden-africanmountain.html#jCp

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Sounds like "the Escarpment" right out of the Tarzan movies.

Came to mind immediately, since for the last five Sundays, I scrounged up and watched the 5 Tarzan films with Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan made between 1932 and 1942.

Hard to believe that I can remember seeing these when young, and (at the time) they didn't seem "all that old" to me.
But the original (1932) is just 14 years shy of having been released a CENTURY ago..!

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Amazing
The Republic is lost.