Author Topic: 6 rulings that could be overturned by a post-Kennedy Supreme Court  (Read 452 times)

Online corbe

6 rulings that could be overturned by a post-Kennedy Supreme Court

by Washington Examiner

June 27, 2018 04:21 PM

Justice Anthony Kennedy announced his retirement this afternoon. For decades, Kennedy was the swing justice on an otherwise ideologically balanced Supreme Court. Although he never served as chief justice, his vote was decisive in a great number of major cases.

Here are six cases in which Kennedy sided with the more liberal members of the court in order to produce a 5-4 ruling. A post-Kennedy court in which the justice is replaced by a reliably conservative jurist could overturn any or all of these cases

Roe v. Wade struck down all state abortion restrictions in 1973. Kennedy nearly sided with what would have been a majority to overturn Roe in the 1992 case Planned Parenthood v. Casey, but he was persuaded against it by Justice Harry Blackmun, as Blackmun's notes later showed.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/6-rulings-that-could-be-overturned-by-a-post-kennedy-supreme-court
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: 6 rulings that could be overturned by a post-Kennedy Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 09:16:43 pm »
For the idiots out there trumpeting Kennedy as an exemplary jurist, these are posters of the damage he has done over the years.

Just think if we had Robert Bork serving all of this time instead.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 09:30:24 pm »
Same-sex marriage per the article might be subject to change. I heard that elsewhere.

There will likely be a real battle to nominate a new justice. I'm sure Senator Mike Lee would be a fair justice who would vote the way I'd like to see it done. Probably most of the other names would be viable as well.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 09:37:17 pm »
Same-sex marriage per the article might be subject to change. I heard that elsewhere.

There will likely be a real battle to nominate a new justice. I'm sure Senator Mike Lee would be a fair justice who would vote the way I'd like to see it done. Probably most of the other names would be viable as well.
This battle to replace Kennedy is nothing compared to what would happen by replacing Gingsberg if she croaked.

That will be a no-holds barred event.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 11:08:48 pm »
If lifelong bachelor and alphabet-soup lobby sympathizer Kennedy comes out as gay before he dies, Obergfell and Lawrence v. Texas immediately come back into play. As author of those opinions, his self-dealing would have clouded his judgment.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 01:50:41 am »
TomSea wrote:
"I'm sure Senator Mike Lee would be a fair justice who would vote the way I'd like to see it done. Probably most of the other names would be viable as well."

Mike Lee may kinda look good, but he might not survive the vetting.

But worse -- I read that the guy DIDN'T VOTE REPUBLICAN in 2016.
He voted for that McMuffin guy!

Will Trump pick a guy who voted against him?
C'mon...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:51:51 am by Fishrrman »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 08:27:33 pm »
If lifelong bachelor and alphabet-soup lobby sympathizer Kennedy comes out as gay before he dies, Obergfell and Lawrence v. Texas immediately come back into play. As author of those opinions, his self-dealing would have clouded his judgment.

Lifelong bachelor married, since 1963 with 3 children ????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Kennedy
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:39:18 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2018, 08:33:18 pm »
This battle to replace Kennedy is nothing compared to what would happen by replacing Gingsberg if she croaked.

That will be a no-holds barred event.

Very true.