Author Topic: House rejects Republican immigration bill, ignoring Trump  (Read 1965 times)

Offline corbe

House rejects Republican immigration bill, ignoring Trump

ALAN FRAM and LISA MASCARO , Associated Press

7 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Republican-led House rejected a far-ranging immigration bill on Wednesday despite its eleventh-hour endorsement by President Donald Trump, as the gulf between the GOP's moderate and conservative wings proved too deep for leaders to avert an election-year display of division on the issue.

The vote was 301-121, with nearly half of Republicans opposing the measure. The depth of GOP opposition was an embarrassing showing for Trump and a rebuff of House GOP leaders, who'd postponed the vote twice and proposed changes in hopes of driving up the vote for a measure that seemed doomed from the start.

The tally also seemed to empower GOP conservatives on the fraught issue. Last week a more conservative package was defeated but 193 Republicans voted for it.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-rejects-republican-immigration-bill-ignoring-trump/ar-AAzfOTu?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: House rejects Republican immigration bill, ignoring Trump
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 06:35:48 pm »
Excellent!   The news just gets better and better today!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 11:04:45 pm »
Excellent!   The news just gets better and better today!

Agree!  This is a fabulous day!  Can we say WINNING!!  :laugh:

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 11:11:27 pm »
GOP compromise immigration bill defeated on House floor
Fox News, Jun 27, 2018, Alex Pappas

<snip>

The Republican compromise voted on Wednesday would have provided a shot at citizenship for hundreds of thousands of immigrants brought illegally to the U.S. as children. It would provide $25 billion for Trump to build his coveted wall with Mexico, restrict family-based immigration and bar the Homeland Security Department from taking migrant children from parents seized crossing into the country without authorization.

Leaders had been adding eleventh-hour provisions aimed at winning votes. One would make it easier for migrant farmworkers to stay longer in the country, the other would gradually require companies to use an electronic database to verify their employees' U.S. citizenship.

But those amendments didn't remove the key stumbling block -- the reluctance by conservatives to back legislation helping people who arrived illegally become citizens. Many Republicans deride that plan as amnesty for lawbreakers, a potential attack line their next primary challenger could wield against them.

More:  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/27/gop-compromise-immigration-bill-defeated-on-house-floor.html

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 11:20:23 pm »
   Correct me if I'm wrong @Right_in_Virginia but Trump wanted this bill to pass, obvious by this Tweet.

"HOUSE REPUBLICANS SHOULD PASS THE STRONG BUT FAIR IMMIGRATION BILL, KNOWN AS GOODLATTE II, IN THEIR AFTERNOON VOTE TODAY, EVEN THOUGH THE DEMS WON'T LET IT PASS IN THE SENATE."

I do support your NEW definition of Winning.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 11:26:06 pm »
   Correct me if I'm wrong @Right_in_Virginia but Trump wanted this bill to pass, obvious by this Tweet.

The President softened this position, as you know.

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 11:28:45 pm »
    Color me surprised!!

Offline Concerned

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 11:29:46 pm »

Yes, the President tweeted that message at 8:39 this morning.  Even when he doesn't get what he says he wants, his supporters proclaim victory.   *****rollingeyes*****
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 11:42:31 pm »
Trump critics will always find something,   *****rollingeyes***** maybe the tweet was too late in the game. Half a loaf is better than nothing at all. A unified Republican party is needed. A leader is needed.  If it passed the House, it likely could have been modified in the Senate who chances are, won't pass anything anyway.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 11:49:27 pm »
Yes, the President tweeted that message at 8:39 this morning.  Even when he doesn't get what he says he wants, his supporters proclaim victory.   *****rollingeyes*****

You go meet with your impeachment committee @Concerned  --- because you've got him now.  No doubt about it.

I'm going to enjoy this sumptuous day ---  :seeya:

Offline corbe

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 11:50:23 pm »
   I agree @TomSea but from the getgo it seemed like an exercise in futility, sometimes nothing is better than something at all and this is one of those cases. IMHO

Offline Concerned

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 11:53:45 pm »
You go meet with your impeachment committee @Concerned  --- because you've got him now.  No doubt about it.

I'm going to enjoy this sumptuous day ---  :seeya:

I've seen no evidence that impeachment is warrantied.  I'm certainly not talking about it. 

I fail to see how I've "got him now".  I'm merely pointing out that he wanted the bill to pass and it didn't (contrary to the claims of victory).  Facts are your friend @Right_in_Virginia
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:55:43 pm by Concerned »

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 12:48:17 am »
There is no question that some of what Trump does is for PR. It happened with DACA. I was still at TOS at the time. Trump pushed very hard for a DACA agreement.  The panic button pushers went berserk.  They were running around with their hair on fire shrieking,  'See! SEE!! Trump sold us out--we always knew he would!!'

For all the good it did (i.e.: none) I said, 'Don't you see this is all for PR? Trump would never sign a DACA deal that Democrats would support,  and Democrats would never support a DACA deal that Trump would sign. Trump just wants to paint Democrats as obstructionists who wouldn't even cooperate to help Dreamers.'

It worked. There was no DACA agreement and Dreamers are furious with...the Democrats.

In the present case Trump can say he tried to help immigrants but there was no consensus AND the Democrats opposed him 100%. People can call this dishonest. Or perhaps they can call it playing the ball where it lies. Trump is preparing the battlefield for the midterms.  Everything he does puts the Democrats in a worse light/position.  Politics, as it has been said, ain't beanbags.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 02:17:42 am »
House rejects Republican immigration bill, ignoring Trump

ALAN FRAM and LISA MASCARO , Associated Press

7 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Republican-led House rejected a far-ranging immigration bill on Wednesday despite its eleventh-hour endorsement by President Donald Trump, as the gulf between the GOP's moderate and conservative wings proved too deep for leaders to avert an election-year display of division on the issue.

The vote was 301-121, with nearly half of Republicans opposing the measure. The depth of GOP opposition was an embarrassing showing for Trump and a rebuff of House GOP leaders, who'd postponed the vote twice and proposed changes in hopes of driving up the vote for a measure that seemed doomed from the start.

The tally also seemed to empower GOP conservatives on the fraught issue. Last week a more conservative package was defeated but 193 Republicans voted for it.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/house-rejects-republican-immigration-bill-ignoring-trump/ar-AAzfOTu?ocid=ientp

Oh, @corbe  The headline on this piece is so deceiving I'm amazed you posted it.

Makes it sound like this was a pet project of Trump's, when he made a very mild, last minute suggestion that the House pass it while adding it would never make it through the Senate.

Maybe you want to see this as a rejection of Trump but, hello, it wasn't.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline corbe

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 02:29:29 am »
   Trump could have been totally absolved of any responsibility for this CF had he not tweeted or said anything.  It was destined to fail, the HFC told us that, even with Ryan adding millions of H1B's to sweeten the deal. 
   It looks tremendously like 'I'll sign anything' Trump is still around and that's scary to me.  @Emjay

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 02:38:12 am »
   Trump could have been totally absolved of any responsibility for this CF had he not tweeted or said anything.  It was destined to fail, the HFC told us that, even with Ryan adding millions of H1B's to sweeten the deal. 
   It looks tremendously like 'I'll sign anything' Trump is still around and that's scary to me.  @Emjay

Not an excuse for posting a MSM hit piece @corbe   Wait until Trump actually does something wrong.

Offline corbe

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 02:50:35 am »
Not an excuse for posting a MSM hit piece @corbe   Wait until Trump actually does something wrong.

Are you asking me to just forget the last 40 years of his well published Life? 
   I will for you, Hon...You know that.  @Emjay   

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 02:57:03 am »
Makes it sound like this was a pet project of Trump's, when he made a very mild, last minute suggestion that the House pass it while adding it would never make it through the Senate.

Very mild?  It was an all caps tweet.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 03:31:06 am »

ALL CAPS??  Well, all righty then.

Offline corbe

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 03:37:43 am »
   Can you BOLD or change the Font Size on Twitter or does that limit your number of characters to express your deepest intellectual thoughts?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 03:44:09 am »
   Can you BOLD or change the Font Size on Twitter or does that limit your number of characters to express your deepest intellectual thoughts?

You are going there, @corbe   Sad.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 11:34:29 am »

And the White House spokespeople have already told us that his tweets are "considered official statements by the President of the United States".   Obviously this is true whether he's giving someone a childish nickname or throwing his support behind an immigration bill. 

Offline Fantasywriter

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 05:30:40 pm »
We are now learning that Trump's rise in support is largely due to a 10 point uptick among Hispanics. One reason he's winning Hispanic support is exactly because he supports doomed DACA and immigration reform bills. Dreamers et al see Trump pushing for the passage of these illegal immigrant-friendly bills. They see the Democrats staunchly oppose every single one. Meanwhile Trump's base sees that despite Trump's support the legislation fails anyway,  so no amnesty ever actually transpires. This strategy wins Trump support among Dreamers, etc., without eroding the support of his base.

Here is a tweet from a Dreamer addressing the issue.  She abandoned the Democrat party precisely because Trump set the trap and the Democrats obligingly fell headfirst into it:

#WalkAway moment from a DACA recipient. Priceless. The Left is destroying itself.

from r/The_Donald

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/8uk58x/walkaway_moment_from_a_daca_recipient_priceless/

[I had to link bc I couldn't copy the tweet itself.  Sorry for the extra step.]

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 05:35:47 pm »
And the White House spokespeople have already told us that his tweets are "considered official statements by the President of the United States".   Obviously this is true whether he's giving someone a childish nickname or throwing his support behind an immigration bill.

You can try and try some more but you cannot make Trump an avid advocate for this bill. 

Offline Concerned

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 05:58:34 pm »
You can try and try some more but you cannot make Trump an avid advocate for this bill.

I don't believe I've ever said or implied that Trump was "an avid advocate for this bill".  What I HAVE said or implied is that he supported the bill when he tweeted that:

"HOUSE REPUBLICANS SHOULD PASS THE STRONG BUT FAIR IMMIGRATION BILL, KNOWN AS GOODLATTE II, IN THEIR AFTERNOON VOTE TODAY......"

If you don't believe that "official statement" shows "support" for the bill, you're entitled to your opinion, but his support for this "strong, but fair immigration bill" (as he put it) seems rather clear to me. 

@Emjay