Author Topic: Supreme Court Upholds Travel Ban  (Read 3469 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Travel Ban
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2018, 04:04:54 pm »
Now if they will just get the public sector union ruling right!

Feeling pretty good about that one.  And it would be huge.  Weakening public sector unions would have major repercussions in elections because they are the most organized, most loyal group of supporters the Dems have.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 04:08:05 pm »

My point being, the mix of judges in the recent South Dakota v Wayfair was surprising and not a particularly good decision or surprise, IMO.

Understood, @edpc

Nevertheless, it would have been 5-4 the other way, IMO.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 04:08:17 pm »
Feeling pretty good about that one.  And it would be huge.  Weakening public sector unions would have major repercussions in elections because they are the most organized, most loyal group of supporters the Dems have.

I predict it will go 5-4.   Can't say which way but you know it will be close.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 04:15:59 pm »
I predict it will go 5-4.   Can't say which way but you know it will be close.

Yep.  Too close for comfort.  I know none of the liberal justices will retire while Trump is President unless they have to.  Ruthie is in pretty good health and she likes being on the court.  It's better than a book club for her.

But if Trump should win in 2020, we'd probably see several go.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 04:23:15 pm »
“Because there is persuasive evidence that the entry suspension has a legitimate grounding in national security concerns, quite apart from any religious hostility, we must accept that independent justification,” 

Quite correct.  It is not the Court's role to usurp the political process.   If folks have a problem with President Trump's alleged "anti-Muslim animus",  then he can be voted out in 2020.   

Elections have consequences.  Kudos to the Supreme Court for recognizing that, as well as respecting that the solution to Trumpism is political.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 04:23:24 pm »
Understood, @edpc

Nevertheless, it would have been 5-4 the other way, IMO.

With a Justice Garland?  Yes, I have no doubt.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline rustynail

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 04:29:35 pm »
Now Trump can restrict travel from blue states and areas?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 04:42:41 pm »
Now Trump can restrict travel from blue states and areas?

What in the hell are you talking about?  This has nothing at all to do with citizens traveling within the states.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 04:50:10 pm »
Quite correct.  It is not the Court's role to usurp the political process.   If folks have a problem with President Trump's alleged "anti-Muslim animus",  then he can be voted out in 2020.   

Elections have consequences.  Kudos to the Supreme Court for recognizing that, as well as respecting that the solution to Trumpism is political.

Yes - because those expecting to receive their travel ban prize in the mail have to remember this was an executive order, not law. It’s a lot easier to overturn with the next person.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld President Trump’s controversial travel ban affecting several mostly Muslim countries, offering a limited endorsement of the president’s executive authority on immigration in one of the hardest-fought battles of this term.

The 5-4 ruling marks the first major high court decision on a Trump administration policy. It upholds the selective travel restrictions, which critics called a discriminatory “Muslim ban” but the administration argued was needed for security reasons.

In a written statement, Trump called the ruling "a tremendous victory for the American People and the Constitution." As critics continued to decry the policy as "xenophobic," Trump described the court decision as "a moment of profound vindication following months of hysterical commentary from the media and Democratic politicians who refuse to do what it takes to secure our border and our country."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/06/26/supreme-court-upholds-trump-travel-ban-on-some-muslim-majority-nations.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 06:25:24 pm »
Threads merged.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2018, 06:29:20 pm »
Part of the decision. Good for Thomas:

Thomas also wrote a concurring opinion criticizing the issuance of so-called “universal injunctions,” in which a single federal judge can issue an order that binds the entire government. The justice maintained that trial courts do not have jurisdiction to issue such sweeping injunctions, which in his view slow the entire judicial system and make every new policy an urgent matter for courts.

“These injunctions are beginning to take a toll on the federal court system — preventing legal questions from percolating through the federal courts, encouraging forum shopping, and making every case a national emergency for the courts and for the executive branch,” Thomas wrote.

The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2018, 06:31:51 pm »

Justice Thomas could not be any more correct and this idiocy needs to be forcefully stopped like right now!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LucasWhite

• IMDEX.org - Image-based Encyclopedia
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2018, 06:48:52 pm »
Sotomayor would be against Trump on every issue regardless, does not even think about it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2018, 06:51:11 pm »

I was just talking with Mrs. Liberty about that exact thing.  It defies reason that a single Federal Judge (not even Circuit Court level) can issue an injunction that applies thousands of miles away from his jurisdiction.

@Emjay, this may mean I'll have to stop teasing you about Hawaiian Judges.   :patriot:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2018, 06:55:46 pm »

That's sure to make some heads explode.

IMHO that's a shot across the bow to the 9th Circuit and that judge out in Hawaii.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline WingNot

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2018, 06:58:22 pm »

That's sure to make some heads explode.

IMHO that's a shot across the bow to the 9th Circuit and that judge out in Hawaii.

It sure sounded like it! 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2018, 07:02:54 pm »

AND they contribute a great deal of money to leftside candidates, at every level from school boards on up to the Fed level
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2018, 07:06:27 pm »
It sure sounded like it!

And it's about time.  The lower courts have been allowed to take more and more power they aren't allowed to have in some of these sweeping rulings.

And what Justice Thomas did was remind them exactly where they are in the pecking order of things.  Especially West Coast liberal activist justices.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2018, 07:09:27 pm »
Oh this is awesome.  The "wise Latina" showed her ignorance of history as she tried to compare this ruling to Korematsu as she took the rare step of reading her dissent aloud.

And Chief Justice Roberts smacked her down for making the comparison.  22222frying pan

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2018, 07:09:56 pm »

Oh buddy, I'm wait for that one with baited breath. The unions are the Democrat ATM machine. Look over the donation disclosures of Dem candidates sometime, particulary at the congressional, state, and local leve - the big money is all from the unions.

If SCOTUS would come out and say dues can't be forced, it would be a near mortal blow to the DNC. A seemingly small thing that could turn the political tide in this country for good.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:10:34 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2018, 07:12:36 pm »
Oh buddy, I'm wait for that one with baited breath. The unions are the Democrat ATM machine. Look over the donation disclosures of Dem candidates sometime, particulary at the congressional, state, and local leve - the big money is all from the unions.

If SCOTUS would come out and say dues can't be forced, it would be a near mortal blow to the DNC. A seemingly small thing that could turn the political tide in this country for good.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WingNot

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2018, 07:12:56 pm »
Oh buddy, I'm wait for that one with baited breath. The unions are the Democrat ATM machine.

I'm laughing but damn, that is so true!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2018, 07:16:49 pm »

"National Right to Work."  Makes me moist just thinking about it....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2018, 07:21:05 pm »
"National Right to Work."  Makes me moist just thinking about it....

:rolling:
The Republic is lost.