Author Topic: The U.S. Army Is Testing 10 New Submachine Guns  (Read 1579 times)

rangerrebew

The U.S. Army Is Testing 10 New Submachine Guns
« on: June 14, 2018, 10:06:05 am »
The U.S. Army Is Testing 10 New Submachine Guns

One may go on to equip U.S. soldiers with the first sub-gun since World War II.
By Kyle Mizokami   
Jun 11, 2018

The Army has awarded contracts to ten companies to submit submachine guns for the service to evaluate. The service has not purchased a new submachine gun for more than seventy years, and is reportedly considering them for units tasked with protecting senior Army leaders.

The U.S. Army has awarded approximately $200,000 to ten companies for evaluation weapons under the Sub Compact Weapon (SCW) program. The service posted a Request for Information (RFI) in May 2018 for a SCW that will fire 9x19-millimeter (9mm Luger) ammunition, fire full automatic, and have a Picatinny rail for attaching lights and optics. The RFI also mentions the capability to mount a suppressor.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a21271644/the-us-army-is-testing-10-new-submachine-guns/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:06:42 am by rangerrebew »

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The U.S. Army Is Testing 10 New Submachine Guns
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:15:07 pm »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 01:30:24 am »
@thackney

Full-auto handguns,even those firing 9mm are junk.
Well yeah, spray and pray! I wouldn't want one even if I could, I don't see any enjoyment or skill involved.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 01:37:17 am »
Well yeah, spray and pray! I wouldn't want one even if I could, I don't see any enjoyment or skill involved.

@GtHawk 

I actually see the damn things as dangerous for the people carry them. Brrrp! and in two seconds you are out of ammo and shot holes in the roof of something.

Give me a properly fitted Cold Combat Commander in 45 ACP and I will do my little happy dance and happily take it anywhere. A 200 grain hollowpoint in a eye socket is more effective than a whole damn truck load of 9mm ball that shoots up the scenery and hits everything but what you were shooting at.

Then again,I pretty much have no use for full-auto weapons of any type unless they are big enough to be crew-served. Even 30 cal BMG's are crew served because they have a shooter and a loader.

Crap like CAR-15's are pretty damn handy when it gets up close and personal,and you have enough experience to exercise proper trigger control. Still,even stuff like a CAR-15 is kinda hard to hide under a suit coat.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 01:48:41 am »
@GtHawk 

I actually see the damn things as dangerous for the people carry them. Brrrp! and in two seconds you are out of ammo and shot holes in the roof of something.

Give me a properly fitted Cold Combat Commander in 45 ACP and I will do my little happy dance and happily take it anywhere. A 200 grain hollowpoint in a eye socket is more effective than a whole damn truck load of 9mm ball that shoots up the scenery and hits everything but what you were shooting at.

Then again,I pretty much have no use for full-auto weapons of any type unless they are big enough to be crew-served. Even 30 cal BMG's are crew served because they have a shooter and a loader.

Crap like CAR-15's are pretty damn handy when it gets up close and personal,and you have enough experience to exercise proper trigger control. Still,even stuff like a CAR-15 is kinda hard to hide under a suit coat.
@sneakypete
Well I put my first response to thread up just in fun because I have a Browning Hi-Power and the factory thirteen round magazine can be emptied fast enough. I don't use it for home defense simply because  9mm punches little holes too damn well, I use a .380. As far as the Colt 45 ACP, I have fired my FIL's old service weapon and it was fun but a little worn after thirty some years. I was at a public range one day and thought I was doing pretty well when a Marine Sgt. took a space one or down from me and commenced to make me feel downright incompetent as he shot the black out of several targets with his .45, found out he was one of the Marines competition shooters. I swear I could almost see the rounds he was firing hit the paper.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 01:55:05 am »
@sneakypete
Well I put my first response to thread up just in fun because I have a Browning Hi-Power and the factory thirteen round magazine can be emptied fast enough. I don't use it for home defense simply because  9mm punches little holes too damn well, I use a .380. As far as the Colt 45 ACP, I have fired my FIL's old service weapon and it was fun but a little worn after thirty some years. I was at a public range one day and thought I was doing pretty well when a Marine Sgt. took a space one or down from me and commenced to make me feel downright incompetent as he shot the black out of several targets with his .45, found out he was one of the Marines competition shooters. I swear I could almost see the rounds he was firing hit the paper.

@GtHawk

Let's just say that "Old Slabsides" is VERY tuneable if you know what you are doing and match the load with the gun.

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 02:10:30 am »
@GtHawk

Let's just say that "Old Slabsides" is VERY tuneable if you know what you are doing and match the load with the gun.
:thumbsup:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 10:14:51 pm »
BREAKING: US Army Adds More Guns to Sub Compact Weapon Trials

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/06/16/sub-compact-weapon-trials/

The US Army has expanded its upcoming Sub Compact Weapon evaluations adding three more weapons to the trials. Back in May PEO Soldier – Project Manager Soldier Weapons issued a Request for Information to industry for a Compact, concealable 9x19mm submachine gun. Following this the US Army’s Contracting Command posted a notice on FedBizOps awarding 10 sole source contracts on 8 June.

Heckler and Koch Defense (HK’s US arm), Angstadt Arms Corporation and Noveske Corporation have now been tapped to submit weapons. Heckler and Koch will submit the UMP9, not the older MP5 (clones of which have been submitted by several companies including Zenith and POF). Angstadt will submit the UDP-9 while Noveske will enter the Noveske Sub Compact Weapon.

The Army’s Contracting Command updated the original contract award notice 15 June:

This synopsis has been amended on 15 June 2018. The ACC-NJ, on behalf of PM Soldier Weapons, also intends to solicit and award sole source contracts to the following:

Award Number: W15QKN-18-P-0048
    Awardee: Heckler and Koch Defense Inc for HK UMP9 Sub Compact Weapon
    Amount: $10,850.00

Award Number: W15QKN-18-P-0049
    Awardee: Angstadt Arms Corporation for Angstadt UDP-9 Sub Compact Weapon
    Amount: $15,950.00

Award Number: W15QKN-18-P-0050
    Awardee: Noveske Corporation for Noveske Sub Compact Weapon
    Amount: $17,200.00

These new awards bring the total spent on weapons for the SCW evaluations to $258,240. It remains unclear what the contract quantities are for each manufacturer as the value of the awards varries from as little as $8,500 to as much as $39,060. The notice states that the anticipated award date for the contracts is planned for July 2018.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 11:24:09 pm »
Project Manager Soldier Weapons issued a Request for Information to industry for a Compact, concealable 9x19mm submachine gun.

Whoever originated that brain fart needs to dragged outside,beaten to within an inch of  his worthless life,and drummed out of the military with no pension or benefits.

"Compace,concealable,and sub,or ANY other machine gun" are code words for "Useless piece of shit".

SOMEBODY has watched too many movies.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 11:28:34 pm »
You would think that maybe OCCASIONALLY these blockheads would bother to ask the freaking soldiers that will have to carry and shoot these things with the hope they will save their lives what THEY want,wouldn't you.

I am having a REALLY,REALLY hard time imagining any infantry NCO saying "well,gee whiz,what I really really want is a freaking squirt gun that I couldn't hit a Buick with at 20 feet that will fire all it's ammo and be useless after a couple of seconds."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 12:15:50 am »
You would think that maybe OCCASIONALLY these blockheads would bother to ask the freaking soldiers that will have to carry and shoot these things with the hope they will save their lives what THEY want,wouldn't you.

I am having a REALLY,REALLY hard time imagining any infantry NCO saying "well,gee whiz,what I really really want is a freaking squirt gun that I couldn't hit a Buick with at 20 feet that will fire all it's ammo and be useless after a couple of seconds."

@sneakypete

As I read it this isn't for the typical squad out in the field.  It's for the guys working security for the remf vips
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 01:11:30 am »
@sneakypete

As I read it this isn't for the typical squad out in the field.  It's for the guys working security for the remf vips

@driftdiver

Thanks for clearing that up. That's different. If I try REALLY hard,I can probably work up a little concern for those asshats in just a few decades. Squirt guns like this is EXACTLY what they need protecting them,

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 01:16:48 am »
@driftdiver

Thanks for clearing that up. That's different. If I try REALLY hard,I can probably work up a little concern for those asshats in just a few decades. Squirt guns like this is EXACTLY what they need protecting them,

@sneakypete

I went to a machine gun shoot out in Las Vegas.  We got to shoot about 15 different guns.  Big selection of handguns and a bunch of full auto weapons.  I shot a few full auto that I hadn't shot before including mp5 and an uzi.  This was the more modern uzi.  I really liked it over the mp5.  Of course the mp5 kept jamming but the uzi was sweet.  3 shot bursts on target at 100yds.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 01:30:54 am »
@sneakypete

I went to a machine gun shoot out in Las Vegas.  We got to shoot about 15 different guns.  Big selection of handguns and a bunch of full auto weapons.  I shot a few full auto that I hadn't shot before including mp5 and an uzi.  This was the more modern uzi.  I really liked it over the mp5.  Of course the mp5 kept jamming but the uzi was sweet.  3 shot bursts on target at 100yds.

@driftdiver

That's odd. The MP5 is usually a VERY reliable weapon.

I used to shoot the old MP-38/40 occasionally when I was in the army,just for fun. VERY accurate and reliable,but they just shot too damn fast to suit me. Most guys in my unit used a suppressed Swedish K or Sten in 9mm for special missions,but I always preferred the old M-3 grease gun in 45 ACP. Slow fire and falling off a log easy to hit what you were aiming at. Plus,no need to use special downloaded ammo to keep from burning the suppressor up.

One of my friends once shot a NVA point man 14 times in the chest from about 15 feet with a suppressed Swedish K,and the SOB had time to raise his AK and fire a wild burst before expiring. He never carried a suppressed 9 mm again. I have seen the special suppressor loads of 115 grain ball ammunition bounce off of wet plywood when the shooter was trying to shoot drain holes in the floor because the tent was leaking.