Author Topic: Stick a Fork in It, the Old GOP Is Dead... By Patrick J. Buchanan  (Read 1289 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Stick a Fork in It, the Old GOP Is Dead
By Patrick J. Buchanan • June 5, 2018, 12:01 AM

“There is no Republican Party. There’s a Trump party,” John Boehner told a Mackinac, Michigan, gathering of the GOP faithful last week. “The Republican Party is kind of taking a nap somewhere.”

Ex-Speaker Boehner should probably re-check the old party’s pulse, for the Bush-Boehner GOP may not just be napping. It could be comatose.

Consider: that GOP was dedicated to free trade, open borders, amnesty and using U.S. power to punish aggressors and “end tyranny in our world.” That GOP set out to create a new world order where dictatorships were threatened with “regime change,” and democratic capitalism was the new order of the ages.

Yet, Donald Trump captured the Republican nomination and won the presidency—by saying goodbye to all that.

more
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/buchanan/stick-a-fork-in-it-the-old-gop-is-dead/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: Stick a Fork in It, the Old GOP Is Dead... By Patrick J. Buchanan
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 02:20:54 pm »
I don't read that old fossils ramblings anymore.  Did he make a salient point by paragraph 15?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 02:54:01 pm »
Buchanan ran for the nomination of the Republican party in 1992 against George HW Bush.   In his columns often, he seems to in fact, be saying, "see what I was saying was right" and things like that. Sort of defending his legacy.  True, Trump's agenda is a bit like Buchanan's, imho, also a bit like Reagan's.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 02:54:59 pm by TomSea »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 02:56:00 pm »
I don't read that old fossils ramblings anymore.  Did he make a salient point by paragraph 15?

Nah. He doesn't get warmed up till paragraph 28.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 03:02:56 pm »

Thanks for counting them.

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 03:23:56 pm »
There's no Trump Party. What there is is a discovery of masses of Americans wanting their government to work for rather than against them.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 03:33:39 pm »
Some of Donald Trump’s agenda I first heard espoused by Buchanan when he ran for president. Of course, Buchanan got no traction with the very message Trump won on. Goes to show Trump had the personality to push through and reach the voters where Buchanan could not.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 06:27:01 pm »

LOL!  The last paragraph.  Top notch!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 06:32:18 pm »
LOL!  The last paragraph.  Top notch!

We just put to bed that nasty rumor about Frank.  He can count past 10

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 11:21:24 pm »
What fractured and overwhelmed the Bush-Boehner Republican Party?

Third, faithful to the free trade cult in which they were raised, Republicans championed NAFTA, the WTO, and MFN for China.  Historians will look back in amazement at how America’s free trade zealots gave away the greatest manufacturing base the world had ever seen, as they quoted approvingly 18th- and 19th-century scribblers whose ideas had done so much to bring down their own country, Great Britain.

Between 1997 and 2017, the EU ran up, at America’s expense, trade surpluses in goods in excess of $2 trillion, while we also picked up the bill for Europe’s defense.  Between 1992 and 2016, China was allowed to run $4 trillion in trade surpluses at our expense, converting herself into the world’s first manufacturing power and denuding America of tens of thousands of factories and millions of manufacturing jobs.

More:  http://www.theamericanconservative.com/buchanan/stick-a-fork-in-it-the-old-gop-is-dead/

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 11:23:33 pm »
Trump not only defeated 16 Bush Republicans, he presented an agenda on immigration, border security, amnesty, intervention abroad, the Middle East, NAFTA, free trade, Putin and Russia that was a rejection of what the Bush-Boehner Party had stood for and what its presidential candidates in 2008 and 2012, John McCain and Mitt Romney, had run on.

:thumbsup:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 11:26:40 pm »
The old GOP is not dead. Diminished, but not dead. Not till guys like McConnell, Trent Lott, Ryan, and Boehner never get the leadershp position again.

Till then, it's a running pitched battle.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 02:42:03 am »
At Buchanan.org, this editorial is entitled:

Boehner’s Right — It’s Trump’s Party Now
http://buchanan.org/blog/boehners-right-its-trumps-party-now-129426

It looks like the same editorial as in The American Conservative; but the headline is not as combative.   Just something to note. "Stick a fork in it..."

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 09:11:19 pm »
Oh sure, it's now Trump's party. And the next Trump on the horizon is......................................well........ exactly who is the next Trump? There are none.
Trump is a one off. Many or most of the would-be Trumps who ran for congress in recent elections have gotten hammered.
The guy in Wisconsin, Nehlen, who ran a Trump-style campaign to defeat Ryan in the primaries lost 85-15. He was/is an anti-Semitic nut, so it's good he lost by a huge margin.
Trump rode the wave of immigration reform to the White House. Which I totally support.   In fact, other than the tariff business and the juvenile tweeting, I support most of what Trump has done so far.
He won despite losing the popular vote by three million votes and the Dem candidate too lazy, smug, and arrogant to campaign in key Midwest states which Trump did not win by overwhelming margins.
In short, Trumpism probably ends with Trump. There are no populist Trump-type clones on the horizon.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 01:31:15 am »
I still like Pat.
And I think he's right with this article.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 01:56:06 am »

In short, Trumpism probably ends with Trump. There are no populist Trump-type clones on the horizon.

What you say very well may be true, but there's absolutely no enthusiasm for returning to the pre-Trump GOP.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 01:59:09 am »
What you say very well may be true, but there's absolutely no enthusiasm for returning to the pre-Trump GOP.

I think both tings can be true.
We may not get a Trump 2.0, but we need not go back to the McConnell, McCain GOP.

Offline corbe

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 03:02:01 am »
   Normally, about now, @GrouchoTex I'd post a pic of Sen Cruz but Tom's in here and he's already pizzed off at me.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 10:40:49 am »
Like him or hate him, he accurately predicted the future of "conservatism" back in the early 90's. He pretty much predicted Trump.

Offline Blizzardnh

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 11:03:06 am »
Buchanan ran for the nomination of the Republican party in 1992 against George HW Bush.   In his columns often, he seems to in fact, be saying, "see what I was saying was right" and things like that. Sort of defending his legacy.  True, Trump's agenda is a bit like Buchanan's, imho, also a bit like Reagan's.
We fought like hell for Buchanan here in N H. And he did win. It was all down hill after that.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 01:49:49 pm »
There's no Trump Party. What there is is a discovery of masses of Americans wanting their government to work for rather than against them.

Trump - and the willingness of many people to overlook his obvious foibles -- is an expression of the underlying rage a lot of Republicans felt about the country going in the wrong direction, and too many genteel Republicans being unwilling to call a spade a spade and do anything about it.  They didn't want us to go quietly into that goodnight, so they picked a guy who would rage for them.

He's a horribly blunt instrument, but a lot of that old guard really needed to be torn down.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 01:57:40 pm »
Trump - and the willingness of many people to overlook his obvious foibles -- is an expression of the underlying rage a lot of Republicans felt about the country going in the wrong direction, and too many genteel Republicans being unwilling to call a spade a spade and do anything about it.  They didn't want us to go quietly into that goodnight, so they picked a guy who would rage for them.

He's a horribly blunt instrument, but a lot of that old guard really needed to be torn down.

Yup, nicely said. My favorite cartoon from the campaign days.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 02:00:18 pm »

Spot on.  Bravo.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 02:07:16 pm »
What would be the argument for returning to a repudiated platform?

They probably do not feel compelled to make one. They may not have to - all they have to do is start losing to the democrats again.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 02:19:23 pm »

:thumbsup: