Author Topic: NBC News' Tom Brokaw allegedly made several unwanted sexual advances toward women, including anchor  (Read 4159 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Liberals and media dirtbags will always rally for one of their own.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Of course they will, but what does that have to do with this story?

Online mountaineer

Of course they will, but what does that have to do with this story?
The article I posted above: "A group of female journalists has penned a letter in support of embattled former NBC anchor Tom Brokaw.  ..."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The article I posted above: "A group of female journalists has penned a letter in support of embattled former NBC anchor Tom Brokaw.  ..."

Yes, maybe I wasn't very clear - this is an almost nothing story.  So, why wouldn't people of similar ideological ilk come to his defense?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
More at Mediaite

Notice they're not denying any allegation against him regarding Vester, because I doubt any of them has any personal knowledge. They're just saying he's always behaved decently toward them.

@mountaineer

I tend to believe that women in any biz will  tell other women they work with about anything like this happening as a way of warning and sharing.

BTW,I am no big fan of Brokaw,either.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
In my experience about 1/3 of women will do or say anything to get ahead.  Whether its flashing their parts or making untrue allegations.  I'm not saying some men aren't pigs just that some women are pigs too.

It pays to be careful and watch your back.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

Exactly.  Unless there’s a lot more, I don’t see any sexual harassment.

@Oceander

Tickling can be harrassment.

Oceander

@Oceander

Many things, like tickling, are contextual. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Oceander

Yes, but a 20-30 year old case of tickles really shouldn't be a news item. 

Question for you, @driftdiver, it looks like you have your kayak finished.  Have you tried it out on the water yet?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
In my experience about 1/3 of women will do or say anything to get ahead.  Whether its flashing their parts or making untrue allegations.  I'm not saying some men aren't pigs just that some women are pigs too.

Long, long ago when wandering might have been on my radar, I remember warnings t avoid same in the workplace.

That all of these showbiz, political types have found themselves in the news of late, indicates they had no common sense rules. They were brazen. They felt they were "too big to get caught."

The lesson of #metoo is nobody is too big to get caught, anymore.

(Unless one can have Rachel Maddow come to their support.)

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@driftdiver

I sure can't argue with that! Anybody that has worked for a large institution,including government jobs,has seen women blow their way to the top.

MY take on this is the men have to be fools to go swimming in the company pool when there is a whole damn ocean of women away from the job to play with. I suppose it is statistically impossible to say that has NEVER worked out well for both of the parties involved,but it never ended well for the men in any of the cases I have seen.

I even know one woman that was retired for life with good retirement packages from the telephone company and then the post office for claiming sexual harassment. I have no knowledge of what happened with the telephone company,but I did see what she did at the post office,and she did everything but blow the supervisors and the station manager in public,and then turned around and threatened to sue them and the post office for sexual harassment. She dropped the suit when they agreed to retire her for "job related stress".

She was maybe 28 when the post office retired her to avoid a lawsuit.

I know of one other woman that tried humping the station management to enhance her career,and when that didn't work,she became a lesbian,and both she and her new main squeeze both got promoted to station managers in order to get them to drop their suits. Never met the girlfriend,but she was sure a nasty bitch.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline driftdiver

Yes, but a 20-30 year old case of tickles really shouldn't be a news item. 

Question for you, @driftdiver, it looks like you have your kayak finished.  Have you tried it out on the water yet?

@Sanguine

Not quite done.  Have to cut hatches and epoxy the top to the bottom.  Also make a seat.

Offline driftdiver

Long, long ago when wandering might have been on my radar, I remember warnings t avoid same in the workplace.

That all of these showbiz, political types have found themselves in the news of late, indicates they had no common sense rules. They were brazen. They felt they were "too big to get caught."

The lesson of #metoo is nobody is too big to get caught, anymore.

(Unless one can have Rachel Maddow come to their support.)

@truth_seeker

I've had women try to set me up.  File false claims, flash their cootchie, make offers you name it.

The one place I got tired of it when they accused me of telling people they were having whore parties.  I left and they hired an old battleaxe woman to manage them.  Then they locked all of the women out of the operations center to limit their contact with the engjneers.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Yes, maybe I wasn't very clear - this is an almost nothing story.  So, why wouldn't people of similar ideological ilk come to his defense?

I think people should look into the motivation of the accuser in this revelation from so long ago.  Psycho biotch. Bipolar. Crack head? Writing a book?    This looks to be totally out of character  for old Tom.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
@truth_seeker

I've had women try to set me up.  File false claims, flash their cootchie, make offers you name it.

The one place I got tired of it when they accused me of telling people they were having whore parties.  I left and they hired an old battleaxe woman to manage them.  Then they locked all of the women out of the operations center to limit their contact with the engjneers.
Fairly early in my corporate days, I learned to not trust anybody. Least of all, guys that wanted your position.

The moral: Do not do anything publicly, that you don't want spread around at work.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Sanguine

Not quite done.  Have to cut hatches and epoxy the top to the bottom.  Also make a seat.

It's looking really good!

Offline musiclady

They didn't rally behind Matt Lauer, did they?  Seems like pretty much every woman he ever worked with thought he was a creep.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

exclusive
NBC staffers felt pressured to sign letter defending Brokaw
By Emily Smith
April 30, 2018

Female staffers at NBC News are complaining they felt under huge pressure to sign the “women’s letter” defending Tom Brokaw against sexual harassment allegations.

After former colleague Linda Vester claimed he “groped and assaulted” her in the ’90s, plus an anonymous assistant alleged he had made unwanted advances, more than 115 women signed the letter hailing the veteran anchor as “a man of tremendous decency and integrity.”   

Big names backing Brokaw include Rachel Maddow, Mika Brzezinski, Andrea Mitchell and Maria Shriver. Brokaw angrily denied Vester’s claims, likening them to “a drive by shooting.”

One NBC News staffer said, “We felt forced to sign the letter supporting Brokaw. We had no choice, particularly the lower level staffers. The letter was being handed around the office and the unspoken threat was that if your name was not on it, there would be some repercussion down the road. Execs are watching to see who signed and who didn’t. This was all about coming out in force to protect NBC’s golden boy; the network’s reputation is tied to Brokaw . . . If more women come forward, that’s a big problem.”  ...  Full story at NY Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

exclusive
NBC staffers felt pressured to sign letter defending Brokaw
By Emily Smith
April 30, 2018

Female staffers at NBC News are complaining they felt under huge pressure to sign the “women’s letter” defending Tom Brokaw against sexual harassment allegations.

After former colleague Linda Vester claimed he “groped and assaulted” her in the ’90s, plus an anonymous assistant alleged he had made unwanted advances, more than 115 women signed the letter hailing the veteran anchor as “a man of tremendous decency and integrity.”   

Big names backing Brokaw include Rachel Maddow, Mika Brzezinski, Andrea Mitchell and Maria Shriver. Brokaw angrily denied Vester’s claims, likening them to “a drive by shooting.”

One NBC News staffer said, “We felt forced to sign the letter supporting Brokaw. We had no choice, particularly the lower level staffers. The letter was being handed around the office and the unspoken threat was that if your name was not on it, there would be some repercussion down the road. Execs are watching to see who signed and who didn’t. This was all about coming out in force to protect NBC’s golden boy; the network’s reputation is tied to Brokaw . . . If more women come forward, that’s a big problem.”  ...  Full story at NY Post

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm....... 

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm.......

Weak-willed women, you mean?

Offline musiclady

Weak-willed women, you mean?

Yes.

That, and gutless, malleable, valueless, wimpy........

They felt pressured to sign, and signed anyway?

Hollow on the inside.   **nononono*