Author Topic: NBC News' Tom Brokaw allegedly made several unwanted sexual advances toward women, including anchor  (Read 4158 times)

Online mountaineer

NBC News' Tom Brokaw allegedly made several unwanted sexual advances toward women, including anchor
By Matt Richardson | Fox News

Tom Brokaw made unwanted sexual advances against multiple women in the 1990s, a Thursday report claimed.  (Reuters)

Legendary NBC news anchor Tom Brokaw allegedly made unwanted sexual advances against multiple women in the 1990s, a bombshell set of reports revealed Thursday, months after a separate set of accusations led to the downfall of longtime “Today” anchor Matt Lauer.

According to The Washington Post, Brokaw, now 78, made unwanted moves on Linda Vester, a former NBC correspondent and former Fox News anchor, twice during the 1990s, including a move to forcibly kiss Vester, who was in her 20s at the time.

The report also detailed the claims of an anonymous woman who told the outlet Brokaw acted inappropriately toward her during her time as a production assistant in the 1990s. Brokaw was the anchor of “NBC Nightly News” at the time.

He has denied all the accusations against him. ...
  More at FOX News

He has mumbled himself into a scandal!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

IowaHawk asks the question I also pondered:
David Burge  @iowahawkblog
2m2 minutes ago

question: did he harass women verbally?
follow up question: how could they tell?

David Burge  @iowahawkblog
18m18 minutes ago

Raking: Rom Brohaw accuhed of hexuah haraffmen

Offline musiclady

Ooo............. that's brutal.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

Tom Brokaw Accused of Sexual Harassment By Former NBC Anchor (EXCLUSIVE VIDEO)
By Elizabeth Wagmeister and Ramin Setoodeh   
Variety
April 26, 2018

Linda Vester had a reputation for covering tough stories. As a war correspondent for NBC News in the ’90s, she spent three tours of duty in the Middle East and took two assignments in Africa.

But as it turned out, her biggest battle at work wasn’t in the field. She says it was as a victim of sexual harassment by Tom Brokaw, the legendary newsman who manned the anchor desk for “NBC Nightly News” for 22 years and hosted “Today” and “Meet the Press.”

In a series of interviews with Variety conducted over several months, Vester alleged that Brokaw physically tried to force her to kiss him on two separate occasions, groped her in a NBC conference room and showed up at her hotel room uninvited. Two friends who Vester told at the time corroborated her story with Variety, and she shared her journal entries from the time period. Brokaw, who has been married to Meredith Auld since 1962, has never before been publicly accused of sexual harassment.  ...

"After I returned to the United States, I continued working jointly for NBC and its affiliates, until I was made a full-time correspondent for “Weekend Today” in 1993. At this point, at 28, I’m one the youngest correspondents at the network. In August, I was assigned to cover Pope John Paul’s trip to Denver.

"We were in the Denver bureau, and there was a conference room. I’m standing there, and Tom Brokaw enters through the door and grabs me from behind and proceeds to tickle me up and down my waist. I jumped a foot and I looked at a guy who was the senior editor of “Nightly,” and his jaw was hanging open. Nobody acted like anything wrong was happening, but I was humiliated. I didn’t know Brokaw other than to say hello in the hall. He was the most powerful man at the network, and I was the most junior person, reporting for an entirely different show. It was really out of the blue.  ..."[/quote]Video of Vester interview at link

Offline aligncare

Such crude behavior towards women. Sometimes I’m ashamed God made me a man.

(To which some joker chimes in, “I’m pretty sure God’s not doing backflips either.”  ****drummer)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
So if you make a pass at a woman and she doesn't want it, why then you are a pervert and guilty of committing sexual assault.

If you don't make a pass at a woman she'll tell all her friends you are gay or impotent.

Is that were we are at now?

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline aligncare

So if you make a pass at a woman and she doesn't want it, why then you are a pervert and guilty of committing sexual assault.

If you don't make a pass at a woman she'll tell all her friends you are gay or impotent.

Yes.

We have arrived at a dystopian place where a romantic overture must be preceded by a formal, notarized letter of intent and subsequent letter of acceptance. Gets one all hot and bothered, huh?

Welcome to the future.

Offline Frank Cannon

He has mumbled himself into a scandal!

Top Notch! Hilarious.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
He tickled her?   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline goatprairie

Yes.

We have arrived at a dystopian place where a romantic overture must be preceded by a formal, notarized letter of intent and subsequent letter of acceptance. Gets one all hot and bothered, huh?

Welcome to the future.
Many years ago before we started dating my wife sent me a note through an intermediary requesting a conversation. Now it's been fourteen years of happy, wedded bliss with no arguments or disagreements since.   :rolling:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Such crude behavior towards women. Sometimes I’m ashamed God made me a man.

(To which some joker chimes in, “I’m pretty sure God’s not doing backflips either.”  ****drummer)

I believe Tom was of the school that in dating outside the marrage one should be good-looking, but you must be willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude.  He must have misjudged.  I'll give him a pass.
For me  I have always subscribed to the Larry Kroger point of view when it comes to dating.  On one shoulder you got the Devil.  On the Other, you have an angel.   Choose wisely... but don't be a homo.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline goatprairie

I believe Tom was of the school that in dating outside the marrage one should be good-looking, but you must be willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude.  He must have misjudged.  I'll give him a pass.
For me  I have always subscribed to the Larry Kroger point of view when it comes to dating.  On one shoulder you got the Devil.  On the Other, you have an angel.   Choose wisely... but don't be a homo.
As it turns out  the guy who played Larry Kroger (Thomas Hulce) later came out as a homosexual in real life.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
As it turns out  the guy who played Larry Kroger (Thomas Hulce) later came out as a homosexual in real life.

:pondering:
What a jagged little pill.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@driftdiver

"NOW"???? Seems like it's been that way my whole life.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GrouchoTex

LOL, I read that on my lunch beak.
Hilarious

Offline musiclady

Oh, dear............ he played Mozart too.

No wonder he did squirrely and giggly so well......  :smokin:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Yes.

Welcome to the future.

Notarized signature, for each and every occurrence of courting, mating, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
LOL, I read that on my lunch beak.
Hilarious

Lunch beak?

Oceander

He tickled her?   *****rollingeyes*****

Exactly.  Unless there’s a lot more, I don’t see any sexual harassment.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Exactly.  Unless there’s a lot more, I don’t see any sexual harassment.
Maybe Brokaw did,maybe he didn't.

Either way,seems to me like all a woman needs to do these days to claim her 15 minutes of fame is to claim she was sexually harassed by some famous man decades ago. How the HELL is any man supposed to be able to defend himself against charges like that 20 years later?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
It's about time this sanctimonious pr*ck was dialed down a notch.

Offline goatprairie

Oh, dear............ he played Mozart too.

No wonder he did squirrely and giggly so well......  :smokin:
I remember when the movie "Amadeus" came out (no pun intended) a co-worker who was a huge Mozart fan didn't like Hulce's acting in the movie and said nasty things about him as to his sexual preference. In short, he intimated he thought Hulce was a homosexual.
Having no interest in Hulce's personal life, I just laughed.
Turns out he was right.

Offline musiclady

I remember when the movie "Amadeus" came out (no pun intended) a co-worker who was a huge Mozart fan didn't like Hulce's acting in the movie and said nasty things about him as to his sexual preference. In short, he intimated he thought Hulce was a homosexual.
Having no interest in Hulce's personal life, I just laughed.
Turns out he was right.

I actually like his portrayal (realizing, of course, that Amadeus is part fact, mostly fantasy).  His giggling was amusing, but I thought the Requiem-writing-while-dying scene was fantastic.

I guess it doesn't matter if Hollywood people are homosexual or not.  The behavior of most of them is less than stellar anyway.

But I guess in this case, it made the squirrely part of the characterization easier for Hulce.  ^-^

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
At least it was women.

Online mountaineer

Rachel Maddow, Andrea Mitchell, and More Female Colleagues Co-Sign Letter Supporting Tom Brokaw
by Tamar Auber | 8:02 pm, April 27th, 2018

A group of female journalists has penned a letter in support of embattled former NBC anchor Tom Brokaw.

On Thursday, reports surfaced that Brokaw sexually harassed war correspondent Linda Vester in the 1990’s. Another unnamed woman also came forward with a claim of sexual misconduct.  ...

In a letter obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, both past and current colleagues of Brokaw write that the seasoned journalist “has treated each of us with fairness and respect. He has given each of us opportunities for advancement and championed our successes throughout our careers.”

The letter concludes, “We know him to be a man of tremendous decency and integrity.”  ...
More at Mediaite

Notice they're not denying any allegation against him regarding Vester, because I doubt any of them has any personal knowledge. They're just saying he's always behaved decently toward them.