Author Topic: Artificial intelligence accelerates discovery of metallic glass  (Read 540 times)

rangerrebew

Public Release: 13-Apr-2018
Artificial intelligence accelerates discovery of metallic glass

EVANSTON, Ill. -- If you combine two or three metals together, you will get an alloy that usually looks and acts like a metal, with its atoms arranged in rigid geometric patterns.

But once in a while, under just the right conditions, you get something entirely new: a futuristic alloy called metallic glass. The amorphous material's atoms are arranged every which way, much like the atoms of the glass in a window. Its glassy nature makes it stronger and lighter than today's best steel, and it stands up better to corrosion and wear.

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-04/nu-aia041318.php

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Artificial intelligence accelerates discovery of metallic glass
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 01:21:47 am »
! No longer available
My first thought, and my favorite ST movie, it seemed they all had fun making it.