Author Topic: Effingham County Illinois considers opposition to state gun legislation  (Read 547 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The Effingham County Board is considering a resolution opposing recent proposals in the state legislature for gun control measures.

The resolution started as a suggestion by local firearms owners and the businesses that cater to them, said Effingham County Board member David

Campbell. He modeled the legislation on a similar resolution passed by the Iroquois County Board on March 13.

Campbell consulted with Effingham County State's Attorney Bryan Kibler, who added a "sanctuary county" section, which attracted the most attention during legislative committee meeting on Monday.

Kibler explained the goal is to protect those people affected by future state legislation by prohibiting the county from enforcing "unconstitutional actions." He drew a parallel with actions in other fields.

"If you can be a sanctuary county for undocumented immigrants, why can't you be one for firearms?" Kibler said.

He explained that the section, like the rest of the resolution, is largely symbolic.

"I was in a really surly mood when they sent that to me," said Kibler.

The legislative committee voted 8-1 on Monday to advance the resolution to the full county board. Board Member Karen Luchtefeld voted no, saying she hadn't had enough time to review the resolution.

The rest of the resolution takes issues with four specific bills, any similar legislation and any bill where the General Assembly "desires to restrict the individual right of U.S. citizens as protected by the Second Amendment.

"This reaffirms that Effingham County does support our Second Amendment rights," Campbell said.

One bill, HB 1467, would ban the ownership of bump stocks and trigger cranks, which allow a semi-automatic weapon to fire at a rate close to that of an automatic weapon. One was used during the Las Vegas shooting, where 58 people were killed and 851 injured.

Campbell said in an interview he didn't support the mechanisms themselves, but is suspicious of future actions by the federal government to ban other elements, such as a reduction in magazine sizes.

One proposal, HB 1469, is in the statehouse. It would also limit the ownership of body armor, which the resolution said would unfairly affect those working in dangerous areas.

The resolution also targets a bill that would make it illegal to own an "assault weapon," which is defined in about 500 words of the legislation. The local resolution claims that the proposed laws are unclear.

One bill that would have required additional registration for gun shops was vetoed by Gov. Bruce Rauner. Members of the legislature are considering an override attempt.

"I don't want Chicago gun laws here, because they don't seem to be working there," said Effingham County Board Board Chairman Jim Niemann.

http://www.effinghamdailynews.com/news/local_news/effingham-county-considers-opposition-to-state-gun-legislation/article_03988c5d-35ec-5984-a122-38f461ea634a.html
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Frank Cannon

"If you can be a sanctuary county for undocumented immigrants, why can't you be one for firearms?" Kibler said.

Effingham right dude.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Effingham is my midway fueling point on I-70, when I have to make the occasional trip from KC to Columbus. It never fails to induce a craving for effing ham.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

Effingham is my midway fueling point on I-70, when I have to make the occasional trip from KC to Columbus. It never fails to induce a craving for effing ham.

KC to Columbus? That sounds like an Effingham depressing trip.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
KC to Columbus? That sounds like an Effingham depressing trip.

It’s great.  The area between KC and StL is one big truck stop and when I reach 270 on the north side of StL, the people of Ferguson are so friendly.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

It’s great.  The area between KC and StL is one big truck stop and when I reach 270 on the north side of StL, the people of Ferguson are so friendly.

I've heard it's friendly, for negrolians.  :whistle:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
That there is the real Illinois.  I spent 8 long years in a 4 year university.  Back in the day. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."