Author Topic: Trump, McCarthy look to cut billions from budget deal they just passed  (Read 527 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Trump, McCarthy look to cut billions from budget deal they just passed

Republican leaders are eager to tamp down a backlash from conservatives.

By JOHN BRESNAHAN and BURGESS EVERETT

04/03/2018 01:19 PM EDT

Facing pressure from conservatives for their budget-busting moves, President Donald Trump and congressional Republicans are considering forcing votes that would cut billions of dollars in spending from the bipartisan funding deal they just passed last month, according to sources familiar with the plan.

White House officials are working closely with House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on the rescission package, said the sources. It’s not clear which programs could be targeted or when the House would vote, although the White House had targeted dozens of programs in Trump's 2019 budget proposal. The White House also proposed nearly $15 billion in budget cuts as part of last year’s hurricane relief package, which were never acted upon.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/03/budget-omnibus-cuts-trump-kevin-mccarthy-498462
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Hilarious.

Offline Hoodat

The Executive branch has every right to NOT spend the money that Congress appropriates.  It is something that I have advocated for a very very long time.

At the end of the fiscal year, each department would have tens of billions of dollars remaining in their respective Treasury account.  But the underlying fear of any government bureaucrat is that if they have money left over, they won't get as much the following year.  Thus more money gets wasted at the end of September than at any other time of the year.

We could even take it a step further.  Ten percent of any money left over should go to pay bonuses to administrators who were responsible for stopping the waste.  Imagine if you were Secretary of Agriculture, and you blocked $20 billion in fraudulent food stamp payments from being paid out.  That's a $2 billion bonus that I am more than glad to pay to those who helped make it happen.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

The Executive branch has every right to NOT spend the money that Congress appropriates.  It is something that I have advocated for a very very long time.

At the end of the fiscal year, each department would have tens of billions of dollars remaining in their respective Treasury account.  But the underlying fear of any government bureaucrat is that if they have money left over, they won't get as much the following year.  Thus more money gets wasted at the end of September than at any other time of the year.

We could even take it a step further.  Ten percent of any money left over should go to pay bonuses to administrators who were responsible for stopping the waste.  Imagine if you were Secretary of Agriculture, and you blocked $20 billion in fraudulent food stamp payments from being paid out.  That's a $2 billion bonus that I am more than glad to pay to those who helped make it happen.

Or imagine if you were the Secretary of Transportation and got your husband to pass a budget (ha!) with $20 billion extra in it for you to "save" so you could pocket millions.

Incentives to cut waste seem like a great idea, but we'd have to be darn careful, and vigilant, lest they become simple tools of graft.  Then again, could it be worse than what we have today? IDK.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

with House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy

Why the Rochester is the guy from Invasion of the Body Snatchers involved in this? I thought he was dead?

Offline endicom

with House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy

Why the Rochester is the guy from Invasion of the Body Snatchers involved in this? I thought he was dead?

He's not dead, he's Pod.

Offline bilo

If they need to take things out why did he sign it in the first place?

The Pubs are probably going to take a well deserved beating in the mid term elections. It is heart breaking to see the Pubs blow this generational opportunity, but I think it's a done deal now. They had no courage and couldn't stand together to do what they promised to do.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home