Author Topic: ECIU Wants To Double The Size Of Your Wind Turbines  (Read 1269 times)

rangerrebew

ECIU Wants To Double The Size Of Your Wind Turbines
« on: March 30, 2018, 09:44:08 pm »

March 28, 2018

By Paul Homewood

From The Times:

Dozens of wind farms could be rebuilt with turbines twice the height of existing ones under plans to keep sites operating for at least another 20 years.

More than 750 turbines at 60 sites are coming to the end of their operational lives, with less than five years remaining of the 20-year period for which they have planning permission. They could be dismantled and the landscape restored, but the wind industry is lobbying to be allowed to replace them with much more powerful turbines.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2018/03/28/eciu-wants-to-double-the-size-of-your-wind-turbines/

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: ECIU Wants To Double The Size Of Your Wind Turbines
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 03:52:27 am »
Wind Turbines? YAWN!
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 12:46:13 pm »
March 28, 2018

By Paul Homewood

From The Times:

Dozens of wind farms could be rebuilt with turbines twice the height of existing ones under plans to keep sites operating for at least another 20 years.

More than 750 turbines at 60 sites are coming to the end of their operational lives, with less than five years remaining of the 20-year period for which they have planning permission. They could be dismantled and the landscape restored, but the wind industry is lobbying to be allowed to replace them with much more powerful turbines.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2018/03/28/eciu-wants-to-double-the-size-of-your-wind-turbines/

As long as they do not get any subsidies, I could care less.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 01:03:09 pm »
What other power generation system is built for only a useful life of 20 years?

That in itself should keep any taxpayer money from going to it.

Cheap Chinese crap.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 02:29:44 am »

Cheap Chinese crap.

The existing GEN III nukes can last 100 years. The turbine-generator may have to be replaced, but the nuclear island has few moving parts, and modern low leakage cores keep neutron embrittlement very low. That's the opinion of not only Westinghouse, Mitsubishi, KEPCO, and GE, but also the NRC agrees, agreeing to relicense in 20 year increments be on the safe side.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 02:34:56 am »
The existing GEN III nukes can last 100 years. The turbine-generator may have to be replaced, but the nuclear island has few moving parts, and modern low leakage cores keep neutron embrittlement very low. That's the opinion of not only Westinghouse, Mitsubishi, KEPCO, and GE, but also the NRC agrees, agreeing to relicense in 20 year increments be on the safe side.
Ok, thanks for that input.

Guess I was under the impression that the operational life of a nuclear plant would be more like the 100 years.  20 years licensing for a plant that may have taken almost that long to permit and build seems low to me.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 02:46:14 am »
Ok, thanks for that input.

Guess I was under the impression that the operational life of a nuclear plant would be more like the 100 years.  20 years licensing for a plant that may have taken almost that long to permit and build seems low to me.

The original licenses were for 40 years, but all plants keep what are called coupons in the core exposing them ot the radiation and heat. some are removed at every refueling and sent off to Argonne Labs for analysis. These analyses are what encourages the utilities to extend the licenses. I have talked to metallurgists who told me there should be absolutely no problem with 80 years, and that would be likely to extend another 20 years, if not more. The NRC has decided to do 20 year increments.

Even fossil plants are designed for 40 year lifetimes. trying to operate past this requires either a lot of new equipment, or less operating time. Given the temperatures and pressures they operate at - 3500-4000 psi/1100F vs 2500psi/625F (nuke) - the moving parts wear out faster and metal fatigues faster.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 02:50:11 am »

Cheap Chinese crap.

Solar systems wouldn't last 20 years.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 12:52:46 am »
Solar systems wouldn't last 20 years.

They will last that long, but pv systems lose about 0.5% efficiency every year due to UV breakdown of the cells, and the longer the exposure, the greater the losses. I'd expect a 20 yr old panel to be about only 5-6% efficiency vs ~15% brand new
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 12:57:23 am by Joe Wooten »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 12:55:55 am »
They will last that long, but pv systems lose about 0.5% efficiency every year due to UV breakdown of the cells.

No way a solar panel lasts 20 years out in the sun and no way a battery hooked to the system lasts 20 years.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 12:58:02 am »
No way a solar panel lasts 20 years out in the sun and no way a battery hooked to the system lasts 20 years.

I hit enter before I was ready........

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 01:06:00 am »

Edison batteries would.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 01:09:16 am »
https://www.engineering.com/DesignerEdge/DesignerEdgeArticles/ArticleID/7475/What-Is-the-Lifespan-of-a-Solar-Panel.aspx

Degradation Rates

The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) performed a meta-analysis of studies that examined the long term degradation rates of various PV panels. They found that the 1% per year rule was somewhat pessimistic for panels made prior to the year 2000, and today’s panels, with better technology and improved manufacturing techniques, have even more stamina than their predecessors. For monocrystalline silicon, the most commonly used panel for commercial and residential PV, the degradation rate is less than 0.5% for panels made before 2000, and less than 0.4% for panels made after 2000. That means that a panel manufactured today should produce 92% of its original power after 20 years, quite a bit higher than the 80% estimated by the 1% rule.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 01:26:22 am »
Okay, maybe, but I think the actual materials will be falling apart from the effects of UV and storms.

Offline thackney

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 12:04:07 pm »

I know of UPS systems in industrial facilities still operating with 30 year old batteries for power backup.

It depends on the battery and how it is used.  Your cell phone battery is maxed out on charge and discharge.  Typical industrial batteries would only run between 70% and 30% of those charge values.  They cost a lot more in $/Amphour but they are far more reliable and and have far more life.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2018, 12:48:02 pm »
"Or double your money back!!!"
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn