Author Topic: How to disagree well: 7 of the best and worst ways to argue  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Blizzardnh

How to disagree well: 7 of the best and worst ways to argue
« on: March 21, 2018, 12:28:54 pm »
In his essay, Graham proposed that the “web is turning writing into a conversation,” recognizing that the internet has become an unprecedented medium of communication. In particular, it allows people to respond to others in comment threads, on forums and the like. And when we respond on the web, we tend to disagree, concluded Graham.
steven-pinker-on-conflict-resolution

He says this tendency towards disagreement is structurally built into the online experience because in disagreeing, people tend to have much more to say than if they just expressed that they agreed. Interestingly, Graham points out that, even though it might feel like it if you spend much time in comment sections, the world is not necessarily getting angrier. But it could if we don’t observe a certain restraint in how we disagree. To disagree better, which will lead to better conversations and happier outcomes, Graham came up with these seven levels of a disagreement hierarchy (DH):

http://bigthink.com/paul-ratner/how-to-disagree-well-7-of-the-best-and-worst-ways-to-argue

Online Polly Ticks

Re: How to disagree well: 7 of the best and worst ways to argue
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 12:32:53 pm »
I know you are, but what am I??
 :tongue2:

Interesting article.  I find this:
But, alas, more often than not, passionate arguments end up having both participants actually arguing about different things. They just don’t see it.
to be true more often than not during marital disagreements.

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 02:33:26 pm »
I know you are, but what am I??
 :tongue2:

Interesting article.  I find this:to be true more often than not during marital disagreements.
Miscommunication is probably the biggest source of conflict, there, often enhanced by alcohol consumption, at least from what I have observed.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 02:48:50 pm »

From the piece - thanks for posting!
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 03:10:19 pm »
Monty Python - Argument Sketch

! No longer available
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 03:10:42 pm by dfwgator »

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 03:11:39 pm »
Monty Python - Argument Sketch

! No longer available

A classic!  Just showed it to Son #5 on Monday night.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 01:25:22 am »
Good post, @Blizzardnh  Thanks!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 02:09:56 am »

From the piece - thanks for posting!

Close, but "you are" should be spelled "your".
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 02:48:12 am »
I'll stick with "you're and asshat". I like economical phrasing.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 07:25:15 pm »
Close, but "you are" should be spelled "your".

888cryingkitty
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 07:34:11 pm »
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 10:32:54 pm »
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me cause snowflakes to have a meltdown.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn