Author Topic: The 'Cinderella Weight' Challenge and Body Image Issues  (Read 485 times)

rangerrebew

The 'Cinderella Weight' Challenge and Body Image Issues
« on: March 15, 2018, 03:07:12 pm »
The 'Cinderella Weight' Challenge and Body Image Issues
Teen girls face an onslaught of unhealthy messages about what they should look like.

By Barbara Greenberg, Contributor |March 14, 2018, at 12:26 p.m.

I worry about teen girls and their body image issues all the time, and for good reason. Surveys find that upwards of 9 in 10 teen girls dislike their bodies.

It's no surprise that so many teen girls are dissatisfied with their appearance, given the diet, weight and body type challenges and trends that they're repeatedly exposed to. A few years ago, the “thigh gap” challenge emerged, suggesting a strenuous amount of exercise and dieting, and even then this gap was not attainable unless one had a very specific bone structure. As of late, an even more unrealistic body trend has gone viral: the “Cinderella weight" (or "Cinderella diet") challenge. The goal here is to develop the body proportions of a fictional Disney character who is depicted with an unrealistically tiny and unachievable waist that's appropriate only for her fictional character.

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/for-parents/articles/2018-03-14/the-cinderella-weight-challenge-and-body-image-issues
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:07:59 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: The 'Cinderella Weight' Challenge and Body Image Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 03:12:20 pm »
An awful lot of study and attention is devoted towards girls at the expense of our boys.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 08:59:15 pm »
An awful lot of study and attention is devoted towards girls at the expense of our boys.

Doesn't have to be at the expense of boys.  Both can be done without subtracting from the other.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 10:00:04 pm »

I think in a lot of cases, this is so but not really here.  I read about one of those bullying/cyberbullying cases and the girl was "body shamed" over her weight. I really feel bad for the girls in these cases. It has led to suicides.  A lot of "body shaming" goes on, they are just teens. Some don't respond well.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:01:00 pm by TomSea »