Author Topic: Amazon admits Alexa is creepily laughing at people and is working on a fix  (Read 628 times)

Offline Suppressed

Amazon admits Alexa is creepily laughing at people and is working on a fix
Wait, what?
By Shannon Liao  Mar 7, 2018, 1:44pm EST

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/3/7/17092334/amazon-alexa-devices-strange-laughter

Over the past few days, users with Alexa-enabled devices have reported hearing strange, unprompted laughter. Amazon responded to the creepiness in a statement to The Verge, saying, “We’re aware of this and working to fix it.”

As noted in media reports and a trending Twitter moment, Alexa laughs without being prompted to wake. People on Twitter and Reddit reported that they thought it was an actual person laughing near them, which can be scary when you’re home alone. Many responded to the cackling sounds by unplugging their Alexa-enabled devices.

Twitter user @CaptHandlebar was one of the first to report experiencing this back on February 22nd:

[video and rest of article at link]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Great, Alexa achieved sentience while nobody was paying attention. I doubt this will end well...   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline roamer_1

Great, Alexa achieved sentience while nobody was paying attention. I doubt this will end well...   :shrug:

Nah. Demonic infestation.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Nah. Demonic infestation.

Now that raises an interesting question: how would one tell the difference between silicon sentience and demonic infestation?
Let it burn.

Offline DB

Now that raises an interesting question: how would one tell the difference between silicon sentience and demonic infestation?

Holy water will work on either.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Good question, that.  They'd both laugh at the humans.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Quit walking in front of it while naked.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Suppressed

Holy water will work on either.
:thumbsup:  :laugh:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline roamer_1

Who he works for, I'd suppose.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Quit walking in front of it while naked.

It's the only place I walk while naked.  I'm working on a plan that anybody watching at NSA or Amazon will puke in their mouths so much they'll all keel over dead.  Mrs. Liberty says I have the technique down to perfection.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Alexa, every night at precisely 1:13 a.m.

! No longer available
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online andy58-in-nh

I don't even like having a cellphone in my bedroom, much less Alexa.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I for one welcome our new laughing robot overlords.
The Republic is lost.