Author Topic: USS Lexington discovered by billionaire Paul Allen's crew 76 years after WWII sinking  (Read 425 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
USS Lexington discovered by billionaire Paul Allen's crew 76 years after WWII sinking
By Frank Miles | Fox News

Billionaire Paul Allen, the Microsoft co-founder and Seattle Seahawks owner, has made another huge nautical find: the USS Lexington, which was lost at the Battle of Coral Sea 76 years ago.

The fleet aircraft carrier, the first to be sunk by opposing carrier aircraft in World War II, was found near Australia below Coral Sea in a remarkably well-preserved condition, news.com.au reported.

The expedition crew of Allen’s personal research ship R/V Petrel found the missing Lexington two miles below and about 500 miles off the eastern coast of Australia, according to USNI News.

An aircraft from the USS Lexington rests on the bottom of the Coral Sea near Australia. The expedition crew of billionaire Paul Allen found the ship below 76 years after sinking.  (Vulcan Photo)

more
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/03/05/uss-lexington-discovered-by-billionaire-paul-allens-crew-76-years-after-wwii-sinking.html

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Okay.  Now that is cool!

! No longer available

I need more video of this! I'm Jones'n

I worked on her replacement, the CV-16 (originally designated as the USS Cabot before being renamed the Lexington in honor of CV-2)in the 90's when docked in Pensacola. 
That ship had ghosts!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."