Author Topic: State investigated after school shooting suspect cut himself  (Read 1477 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: State investigated after school shooting suspect cut himself
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2018, 08:59:18 pm »
I am several steps further. We should NOT be placing risky people in our schools, period.  ....

Unfortunately, school may be the only place where risky behavior can be identified.  We can no longer rely on parents to monitor little Jane and Johnny.  And we can rely on them even less to acknowledge a mental health issue in one of their darlings and seek professional help.

It may well be up to the schools.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2018, 09:09:14 pm »
Good counselors are working to "socialize" the functional kids so they can participate in society; my Special Day Class (SDC) friend spends some time on "life skills", and I know that continues through high school.  But I know that won't work for more severe children.

I'm not talking about special needs social skills or the special ed that handles this.

We need tough, trained professionals to identify risky students and lift them out of society for observation and treatment. 

When they're not a threat to human life, we can focus on their life skills.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 09:16:11 pm »
Unfortunately, school may be the only place where risky behavior can be identified.  We can no longer rely on parents to monitor little Jane and Johnny.  And we can rely on them even less to acknowledge a mental health issue in one of their darlings and seek professional help.

It may well be up to the schools.
You say schools, I say mental illness lock up institutions. In California, we have several I can recall by name. Camarillo, Atascadero, Norwalk, Costa Mesa. Been there for decades. When in doubt, use these for the sake of public safety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camarillo_State_Mental_Hospital

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atascadero_State_Hospital

http://www.dsh.ca.gov/Metropolitan/

http://www.dds.ca.gov/Fairview/
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 12:14:58 am »
I'm not talking about special needs social skills or the special ed that handles this.

We need tough, trained professionals to identify risky students and lift them out of society for observation and treatment. 

When they're not a threat to human life, we can focus on their life skills.

This, definitely.   That’s part of what I meant by the “functional” kids. 

I also think you’re right, that often the school will be the one that identifies the dangerous kids.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 12:18:40 am »
You say schools, I say mental illness lock up institutions. In California, we have several I can recall by name. Camarillo, Atascadero, Norwalk, Costa Mesa. Been there for decades. When in doubt, use these for the sake of public safety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camarillo_State_Mental_Hospital

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atascadero_State_Hospital

http://www.dsh.ca.gov/Metropolitan/

http://www.dds.ca.gov/Fairview/

Camarillo closed, right?
Atascadero and Metropolitan are both for criminally mentally ill, I believe. 
Does Fairview work with kids?   I think all these places are for adults.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 12:22:45 am »
I wonder if Christopher Wray will call for Gov. Scott to resign.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 12:23:40 am »
Camarillo closed, right?
Atascadero and Metropolitan are both for criminally mentally ill, I believe. 
Does Fairview work with kids?   I think all these places are for adults.

I don't have all of the details. I merely gave specifics, to indicate we used to know what to do.

It seems society is regressing backwards; losing the institutional memory of what once worked.

We have the homeless roaming around free, and we wonder what to do about it. Guess what? We used to charge them with vagrancy, until we did away with vagrancy as an illegal act.

We have imposed a lot of stupid, ineffective and dangerous policies and practices which used to regulate society.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2018, 12:24:31 am »
I wonder if Christopher Wray will call for Gov. Scott to resign.

This made me laugh ;).  Thank you. 

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2018, 12:26:33 am »
I don't have all of the details. I merely gave specifics, to indicate we used to know what to do.

It seems society is regressing backwards; losing the institutional memory of what once worked.

We have the homeless roaming around free, and we wonder what to do about it. Guess what? We used to charge them with vagrancy, until we did away with vagrancy as an illegal act.

We have imposed a lot of stupid, ineffective and dangerous policies and practices which used to regulate society.

My point is, that for the kids we’re talking about who haven’t been convicted of a crime, those institutions wouldn’t be applicable, except something like Fairhaven maybe.  We’d have to make new facilities. 

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2018, 12:32:46 am »
My point is, that for the kids we’re talking about who haven’t been convicted of a crime, those institutions wouldn’t be applicable, except something like Fairhaven maybe.  We’d have to make new facilities.

Another solution from the past, now not in use. Fred C. Nelles Youth Correctional Facility

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_C._Nelles_Youth_Correctional_Facility

I used to run marathons with a man that served there as a Physical Ed. "teacher," although he described it more as a prison guard role.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2018, 12:32:48 am »
This made me laugh ;).  Thank you.

You’re welcome.  It was meant more to be sardonic.  I understand the need for leadership to be accountable.  However, Scott stepped in it by speaking before the full picture was known.  We here, of course, have been commenting since it first aired live, but we're not in his position.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 02:31:19 pm »
Freya, you posted about "cutters".
@Freya
@TomSea
@mystery-ak
@CatherineofAragon

Cutters:  A person cuts him/her self in order to punish him/her self for something they did or thought they did.

I had a patient who had cut her arms over and over.  Her father had hanged himself in a public park and she thought she was the one who made him do that, so she was cutting herself to punish herself.  She was not responsible for him doing that.

She was also not sleeping and Texas Rehab. sent her to me to find her problem so she could sleep, as they wanted her to get a driver's license but could not if she was not sleeping at all.  She would have minute type nod offs, but no actual sleeping.

In the course of working with her, I asked her to describe her bedroom.  It was dark with the blinds closed, there was a picture of her father on a table top with plastic flowers around it.  Her father was in a cemetery too far away for her to visit.  I said to her, "You have made your bedroom the cemetery."  She said, "You are smart, aren't you?"  She was afraid to sleep, afraid since her bedroom was the cemetery, he might come back to life and be in her bedroom.

I asked her if she could take out the flowers.  She said, "No, if I did that, I would die." I asked her if she could take ONE flower out.  She said she could.  I had her take one flower out every week until they were all gone.  I asked her to open the blinds of her room and remove her father's picture.  She did that, and started sleeping all night.  Texas Rehab. got her a driver's license, and a job at the local college and sign up for college courses.  She had her life back.  As a result of helping her, Texas Rehab. started sending me their "worst" cases.  A number of them were career criminals.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2018, 04:20:00 pm »
@Victoria33  I thank God for talented people like you.  Bless you for the work you do.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 04:29:14 pm »

You’re welcome.  It was meant more to be sardonic.  I understand the need for leadership to be accountable.  However, Scott stepped in it by speaking before the full picture was known.  We here, of course, have been commenting since it first aired live, but we're not in his position.

@edpc
Gov Scott may also have information we are not privy too.

Scott might have aimed at the wrong person (Wray has only been the Director a short time) but the FBI certainly failed and people died.   Calling for Wray to resign certainly got a lot of peoples attention in a very important way.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 04:37:35 pm »
@edpc
Gov Scott may also have information we are not privy too.

Scott might have aimed at the wrong person (Wray has only been the Director a short time) but the FBI certainly failed and people died.   Calling for Wray to resign certainly got a lot of peoples attention in a very important way.

Has Wray addressed this issue since he came on board,  he's had plenty of time to do so, and if he hasn't, then he's part of the problem and he needs to go.

Online corbe

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 05:28:07 pm »
   James McMurtry~Cutter

! No longer available
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.